Match Thread Crystal Palace v Everton - 1984 video, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic support for a Thursday 8pm ko with trains cancelled all over the shop due to flooding.
Just dried out. Thought Onana played well - Harrison energetic, Branthwaite calm, Myko and Garner solid but Coleman as ever dependable. Danjuma decentish first half.
This VAR bias is getting boring now. It's not even a suprise anymore. The sending off was poor - but to airbrush the penalty appeal was shocking. If the ref goes to the screen for that he gives it. Someone said Real Madrid compile videos and post to all their fans of dubious decisions against them. We should start the same and start naming and shaming these refs and VAR officials. Everyone can make a mistake but the bias is just to obvious now.
We need a thread so we can follow this and see the trends.

It is included at Premier League grounds. That makes for an unequal competition for me. No way there is a sending off where there is no VAR for the Calvert-Lewin incident last night. What VAR seems to forget is that Football is a contact sport and there will be inadvertent contact when tackles are made. A good tackle for me and Clyne got a whack in the process. You could clearly see both Andersen and Hughes commiserating with Calvert Lewin over the ref being called to the monitor because once that happens the ref is not going to be brave enough to say no. Bad decision.
Well that is ridiculous. The rules should be the same for everyone, regardless of the ground they play at

I naively thought VAR was originally there to try to clarify contentious or highly disputed incidents.
Its now evolved into three officials actually involved on the pitch having their decisions (including undisputed ones) feverishly examined for fault by some cocky-watchman/men with a bank of monitors miles away. After others and finally that farce last night, you'd think a watershed had been reached and the whole thing should be re-examined. No need to hold our breath then.

I naively thought VAR was originally there to try to clarify contentious or highly disputed incidents.
Its now evolved into three officials actually involved on the pitch having their decisions (including undisputed ones) feverishly examined for fault by some cocky-watchman/men with a bank of monitors miles away. After others and finally that farce last night, you'd think a watershed had been reached and the whole thing should be re-examined. No need to hold our breath then.
Watersheds happen when something bad happens to a Sky6 team against a non-Sky6 team.

The RS got a poor decision against a Sky6 team so they got a bit confused. Even VAR was confused. How can we protect the brand when both teams are Sky6 teams. Panic!

Weirdly, I do not think VAR is to blame here. The referee is the boss. If he thinks his initial decision was correct, he goes to the screen, look and decides to stick with his original decision. The referee is the boss, the problem arises when the referee is also a coward. That is what happened in the game. VAR spotted a foul (which by the letter of the law it was, straight leg, studs up, contact made), the referee has the power to apply his or her experience, knowledge and override what VAR flagged up, on the grounds that they did not feel it was a foul. But they are all terrified to do so. So it is the ref, pure and simple here, not VAR that was at fault. ( I hate VAR by the way and would scrap it tomorrow if it were up to me).

there are six officials involved, three on the pitch a fourth official, VAR and assistant VAR, and they still cant get it right. I also want to see live footage streamed with sound, of the car room, how do we know that there aren't other people in that room in the ears of the VAR officials having their say on matters??

The game is bent.

there are six officials involved, three on the pitch a fourth official, VAR and assistant VAR, and they still cant get it right. I also want to see live footage streamed with sound, of the car room, how do we know that there aren't other people in that room in the ears of the VAR officials having their say on matters??

The game is bent.
You're spot on. The whole incompetent VAR set up was exemplified by that audio clip of the sheer panic and confusion between them. Who chooses them....and why are they qualified as competent ? It also cries out for, as you say, public scrutiny via camera and sound to avoid any impropriety being obscured in the shambles.

Status
Not open for further replies.