Consensus On Pip Neville

Status
Not open for further replies.
A mate of mine whose a Man Utd fan really disliked him and proper took the pee out of me when we signed him. Gave his all though a very limited player. Sometimes his distribution was abysmal. Took a good penalty though, don't think he ever missed one in a shoot-out for us.

My criticisms are his heart was never truly in it with us. When Jagielka scored that winning penalty at Wembley and our players and fans were going mental, his first thought was to go over to the Man Utd players and commiserate with them, then, after BK infamously got clapped when his grid appeared on the big screen during that Villa game, he did a post-match interview and talked about the 'real fans' who applauded him. Well Phil, 'not real fans' like me who refused to clap that phoney are still going to Goodison season in season out.

Neville put a real shift for us everytime he crossed the white line so I can't really argue with his effort that but he went on a season or two too long here. His legs had long gone by the time of his last game for us, that horrific FA Cup hammering by Wigan when he gave one of the worst individual performances by an Everton player in years, and there's plenty of them to choose from.
Wasn't Feli an atrocity in that Wigan game or am I misremembering? Think the whole side just collectively shat the bed in that one.

Fellini started like a head case, as though he thought it was necessary to kick everything in this league that moved. Can't remember where he went after us.

Don't really hate him, he was not terrible or clueless on the pitch, but he was simply not noteworthy in any way as a football player. The Wigan game is hard to stomach though

We have and for years have had loads of players who as you say were not noteworthy as a football player. I don't think Neville was one of those.

A mate of mine whose a Man Utd fan really disliked him and proper took the pee out of me when we signed him. Gave his all though a very limited player. Sometimes his distribution was abysmal. Took a good penalty though, don't think he ever missed one in a shoot-out for us.

My criticisms are his heart was never truly in it with us. When he was on Gary Neville's 'Soccerbox' on Sky some of his comments about the club were a bit out of order for me with lots of little digs and after BK infamously got clapped when his grid appeared on the big screen during that Villa game, he did a post-match interview and talked about the 'real fans' who applauded him. Well Phil, 'not real fans' like me who refused to clap that phoney are still going to Goodison season in season out.

Neville in put a real shift for us everytime he crossed the white line so I can't really argue with his effort but he went on a season or two too long here. His legs had long gone by the time of his last game for us, that horrific FA Cup hammering by Wigan when he gave one of the worst individual performances by an Everton player in years, and there's plenty of them to choose from.

Would say he'd puts this current squad to shame too because of his effort.

it's [Poor language removed] embarrassing he was our longest-serving captain of the Prem-era.

yet he's still associated with a Man U career & England Women's stint.

that's how little he contributed to us. the only thing of note in 6 years was a sliding tackle. yeah, i could've done that too.

stain.

Be fair. He got knee-highed by Dirk Kuyt. That was his most memorable moment.

He had a winning mentality with very little ability which was good enough for the Everton board to bring him in
same thing can be said for Darron Gibson, Morgan Schneiderlin couple more Utd cast offs the club gets blindsided by reputation over substance
in fact that is Everton's transfer policy we shop for 2nds

Anyone who thinks bringing Moyes back was the answer should look at the ‘05 summer signings. Arteta aside.

He did a good job for a number of seasons before he just got old and couldn't run (but still point). Then Barry came in and did arguably even better job in that holding role infront of back 4.

Massive void in this team in that area of course.

Lots of negativity from who he was joining from but I certainly enjoyed him slotting in that pen v them in the cup SF. Pretty sure I read from an interview he did that scoring that meant he fully felt an Everton player for first time, must've been 3-4 years after actually joining?!

Top midfield in those days with him, Fella, Cahill, Leon and Pienaar. All cracking players and they also got what it meant to actually play for the club which is no mean feat with all the different backgrounds. Could do worse than call some of them in to Finch Farm to give the current lot a talk about it.

Tried his best at us but didn't have the guts in him to be anything other than mediocre. Fergie had an eye for a player and he got rid of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.