Confirmed Signing Conor Coady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our defence isn't great but it's just weird the way some people get so bent out of shape about fans not being ecstatic about any old half decent centre half coming in. The way some people have talked about Tarkowski and Coady this summer you'd think they were Baresi and Cannavaro. Coady's at his absolute peak and getting phased out by a team that's finished 10th and 13th in the last 2 years, it's hardly outrageous that not everybody's enamoured with the idea of signing him.

He isn't though. He's in his peak years and the only concern everyone has is that he won't have any sell on value and the obvious price.
Not all older defenders turn out like Williams. We've had Gough who was in his mid 30s and Weir was bang average till he turned 30. Keane was crap when he turned 27. Distin was immense in the first few years. Coady is a good defender and not liable to put up with Keane's antics.
I don't think signing defenders who can only play in a 3 is a good idea. He's a good passer and that's basically it

I don't think signing defenders who can only play in a 3 is a good idea. He's a good passer and that's basically it
The three thing is a myth, he only adjusted to a three because of Wolves. Him and Tarkowski in a back four would be levels above any of our other CH in a back 4.

Our defence isn't great but it's just weird the way some people get so bent out of shape about fans not being ecstatic about any old half decent centre half coming in. The way some people have talked about Tarkowski and Coady this summer you'd think they were Baresi and Cannavaro. Coady's at his absolute peak and getting phased out by a team that's finished 10th and 13th in the last 2 years, it's hardly outrageous that not everybody's enamoured with the idea of signing him.
Because Holgate and Keane Co. are much worse?

Obviously, we will be trying to move on a central defender, if this comes off. Is that 7 we have now?
Mina would be the obvious one. Injury-prone and only 12 months on his contract?
If Leicester sell that lad to Chelsea, I can see them coming in for one of Keane or Holgate on loan maybe.

I'm not sure they are much worse anyway, but even if we agree they are that doesn't make that sort of signing a complete no brainer. Just buying players because they're supposedly better than what you've got isn't a good strategy.
If it is a loan and our defence improve why not. I have enough of Holgate and Keane.

The three thing is a myth, he only adjusted to a three because of Wolves. Him and Tarkowski in a back four would be levels above any of our other CH in a back 4.
No the 3 thing is backed up with lots of stats, and he 'adjusted' to a 3 from being a midfielder, not from playing in a back 4. That's why he's good in a 3, he plays like a deep lying midfielder, his defensive stats are pretty much non-existent.

I'm not sure they are much worse anyway, but even if we agree they are that doesn't make that sort of signing a complete no brainer. Just buying players because they're supposedly better than what you've got isn't a good strategy.
aside from whether he's better or not - he's consistent, he may only be a 7/10 but he's a 7/10 almost every week unlike Keane who will be an 8 or 9 one week and then be a 2/10 for the next month.
Coady hardly misses games too, like Tarks he's rarely injured and that's where we've struggled. How often was Lampard able to play the same backline 6/7 games in a row?

aside from whether he's better or not - he's consistent, he may only be a 7/10 but he's a 7/10 almost every week unlike Keane who will be an 8 or 9 one week and then be a 2/10 for the next month.
Coady hardly misses games too, like Tarks he's rarely injured and that's where we've struggled. How often was Lampard able to play the same backline 6/7 games in a row?
For me it wouldn't be a good signing, but that wasn't really my point. I'm not saying signing him would be the worst thing in the world, just that I find this narrative that gets pushed of it being astonishing that any fan might dare to think that signing a player who isn't wanted by Wolves (and if he was to come here, you would imagine wasn't wanted by anybody significantly better than us either) wouldn't be the best thing since sliced bread slightly bizarre.

Mina would be the obvious one. Injury-prone and only 12 months on his contract?
If Leicester sell that lad to Chelsea, I can see them coming in for one of Keane or Holgate on loan maybe.
I imagine there are a few we'd sell. I have a feeling Mina will stay until January then go for a nominal fee. We won't get much for him, with his injury record.

I would have sold every single one of our centre halves this summer if I had the chance. At some point last season, every single one of them made a mistake that you'd be disappointed to see in the park on a saturday morning.

They each must have either ran into each other, or leathered the ball at each other at least once last season.

Pure Sunday league stuff. Unredeemable

Status
Not open for further replies.