Coach/Assistant to manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

micknick

Player Valuation: £70m
With Unsworth saying all the right things and giving all Evertonians a warm fuzzt feeling again yesterday it got me thinking about youth team coaches, assistant managers of clubs that have made the step up.

I know De Boer at Ajax took a similar path for youth team to first team, Jose was merely an interpreter at Barca.

Can anyone think of any other examples where people have made the step up and it be a success?

With Unsworth saying all the right things and giving all Evertonians a warm fuzzt feeling again yesterday it got me thinking about youth team coaches, assistant managers of clubs that have made the step up.

I know De Boer at Ajax took a similar path for youth team to first team, Jose was merely an interpreter at Barca.

Can anyone think of any other examples where people have made the step up and it be a success?

Zidane

Zidane and Guardiola I’m told.

In the premier league all that keeps coming to mind are people like Craig Shakespeare at Leicester, John Carver at Newcastle, Tim Sheerwood at Spurs (even though he was unlucky to lose his job)

Anyone think of any good ones in england?

I think the interpreter thing about Jose is a bit of overblown . I know he performed that role but I think he’d already been a coach , a scout and an assistant manager before working for Robson and immediately it’s apparent he wrote pretty detailed , in fact apparently ridiculously detailed scouting reports . Also Jose didn’t take over from Robson he moved with him to a number of clubs and he then moved away and developed his own career so in that way is different from the other examples you’ve mentioned .

In the premier league all that keeps coming to mind are people like Craig Shakespeare at Leicester, John Carver at Newcastle, Tim Sheerwood at Spurs (even though he was unlucky to lose his job)

Anyone think of any good ones in england?

David O'Leary at Leeds is probably one of the more notable examples. Initially did very well and benefitted from an excellent academy but spent a lot of silly money as well.

..probably wrong to look at English examples as there are so many foreign coaches in the Premiership. I suspect many of them started coaching at youth level. Looking back, Colin Harvey couldn’t make the transition but you have to start somewhere.

Simone Inzaghi, Julian Nagelsmann, David Wagner.

Status
Not open for further replies.