Club Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free of nazis and everyone got the same standard of living. How could that have been bettered by West Germany with its companies owned by former SS officers and its streets blighted by terrorist campaigns?

I'd have loved to have lived there in East Germany. I'd have worn my red pioneer bandana with pride as a kid in prepeatration of a life working for the greater good of Stalin.

There's a lot of Germans who have Ostalgie, and I'm not surprised.

Just corrected your little bit.

Everton should link with a sponsor that actually plays a role in the life of hard suffering Evertonians of contending with Wverton on the field like a cleaning company that sells bleach, an alcohol brand or a pharmaceutical company

Haha mad numbers. Chelsea are only at that figure because they're one of the biggest commercial club's in the world. United was sold to the Glazers for nearly a billion so adjust for inflation, it's probably right.

We're in the £300mill max bracket. Probably less if said buyer has to fund the rest of a stadium.

Personally think Mosh sells some of his stake to another wealthy investor.
Burnley just sold for 170m. Newcastle 305m - with a bigger stadium and less debt. So your 300m sounds about right. And Moshiri/Uzmanov have probably invested more than double that. They might just be happy to cut their losses, but whereas it seems clear Chelsea are selling up, Moshiri is saying very little, which isn't a way to generate interest. Personally I think Moshiri knows he won't be sanctioned and he will just try to ride it out and hope there's no relegation over the next year or two.

Burnley just sold for 170m. Newcastle 305m - with a bigger stadium and less debt. So your 300m sounds about right. And Moshiri/Uzmanov have probably invested more than double that. They might just be happy to cut their losses, but whereas it seems clear Chelsea are selling up, Moshiri is saying very little, which isn't a way to generate interest. Personally I think Moshiri knows he won't be sanctioned and he will just try to ride it out and hope there's no relegation over the next year or two.

Problem for Moshiri is buying the club only makes sense with a new stadium built.

Free of nazis and everyone got the same standard of living. How could that have been bettered by West Germany with its companies owned by former SS officers and its streets blighted by terrorist campaigns?

I'd have loved to have lived there in East Germany. I'd have worn my red pioneer bandana with pride as a kid in prepeatration of a life working for the greater good.

There's a lot of Germans who have Ostalgie, and I'm not surprised.

They say history is written by the winners. I've spent a fair bit of time in East Germany, and there is a lot more nostalgia than people realise. By the end there was some criticism, but not enough to really want the system to end, or certainly not enough to want to emulate the west German system. Theres still a lot of resentment about that, and the west chauvinism still treats them as 2nd class citizens (and stole a lot of the assets of the east).

For the most part, the hardened protestors were seen as troublemakers by most ordinary people, and actually quite isolated from most of the population, who dont care enough either way. I'm not saying they were hugely pro Soviet either, but they werent vehemently anti.

In most of those countries, its hard to argue the Soviet collapse has been anything other than a disaster too. Womens rights erodes. Anti-semitism rife. Crime, corruption, gangsterism, people trafficking of young children etc. Mass poverty as well. You got none of those things previously.

It's not been an easy realisation for me. I was always (and to be fair remain) a very firm advocate of Trotskys analysis, but speaking to East Germans certainly made me shift my position. It wasnt a perfect society, but they got a lot right.

And yes, anti-fascism was a massive part of the school curriculum. I love going round East Germany and seeing the monuments and memories for those brave heroes who fought fascism.

They say history is written by the winners. I've spent a fair bit of time in East Germany, and there is a lot more nostalgia than people realise. By the end there was some criticism, but not enough to really want the system to end, or certainly not enough to want to emulate the west German system. Theres still a lot of resentment about that, and the west chauvinism still treats them as 2nd class citizens (and stole a lot of the assets of the east).

For the most part, the hardened protestors were seen as troublemakers by most ordinary people, and actually quite isolated from most of the population, who dont care enough either way. I'm not saying they were hugely pro Soviet either, but they werent vehemently anti.

In most of those countries, its hard to argue the Soviet collapse has been anything other than a disaster too. Womens rights erodes. Anti-semitism rife. Crime, corruption, gangsterism, people trafficking of young children etc. Mass poverty as well. You got none of those things previously.

It's not been an easy realisation for me. I was always (and to be fair remain) a very firm advocate of Trotskys analysis, but speaking to East Germans certainly made me shift my position. It wasnt a perfect society, but they got a lot right.

And yes, anti-fascism was a massive part of the school curriculum. I love going round East Germany and seeing the monuments and memories for those brave heroes who fought fascism.
I'm envious.

I have a fascination with that society.

Status
Not open for further replies.