Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
With respect, I’d say that’s not particularly likely.

For a start, “overhaul” is quite an excessive term wouldn’t you agree? Given the very few first team players this would apply to. You’re trying to paint a picture here that’s simply not accurate.

Secondly, teams change 1/2 way through the tournament as it is, why would it cause such uproar if this unforseen pandemic means clubs lose a couple of players (players who, for the most part, will have already been deemed largely unimportant enough not to tie down long term anyway) for just the final few games of the campaign?

Why should that lead to outrage?

Well if players are leaving and new players are coming in, that will be deemed against the rules. It's a bit like playing an unregistered player in a league. It would be seen as a major breach and any court would rightly side with a side bringing litigation as an unfair change of the rules.

As for the mid winter break, these are the pre-agreed rules everyone agreed to before the competition started. You can't just change the rules half way through, where million of pounds are concerned and not expect major problems.

Look I'm not saying your ideas aren't possible. However I can't see clubs going for them, and if they were to press it to a court, I can see a court looking very negatively on the resumption of a competition with a rule change that allows some teams to be weakened, some strengthened very unfavourably.

What is much easier is just to write the season off. We have until the end of June to win or lose with the existing squads, after that there is a limit and it passes that limit.

I'm glad we both accept though, that it's essentially not feasible to hold players to their contracts.

According to Peston, the government are talking about 4 month quarantines.

I think football is a long long way off

The projected numbers are worse than an algorithm said today. We are already double the cases as the day football was cancelled on. No was are we getting circa 600 cals in 3 weeks.

The narrative will start to change imminently. It's going to start dawning on people quite soon this isn't being finished by June.

Well if players are leaving and new players are coming in, that will be deemed against the rules. It's a bit like playing an unregistered player in a league. It would be seen as a major breach and any court would rightly side with a side bringing litigation as an unfair change of the rules.

As for the mid winter break, these are the pre-agreed rules everyone agreed to before the competition started. You can't just change the rules half way through, where million of pounds are concerned and not expect major problems.

Look I'm not saying your ideas aren't possible. However I can't see clubs going for them, and if they were to press it to a court, I can see a court looking very negatively on the resumption of a competition with a rule change that allows some teams to be weakened, some strengthened very unfavourably.

What is much easier is just to write the season off. We have until the end of June to win or lose with the existing squads, after that there is a limit and it passes that limit.

I'm glad we both accept though, that it's essentially not feasible to hold players to their contracts.

New players coming in? Why would new players be coming in? The transfer window would be pushed back, even if contracts couldn’t. Only players would leave, no new players would join, therefore it would only frustrate clubs if multiple first team starters were to leave before the end of the campaign, and I don’t think that’s the case anywhere.

The rule change is unavoidable, something will have to change, and it wouldn’t allow the strengthening of teams, only the potential weakening of teams if they are unable to convince certain players (who were due to leave anyway) to continue to play to the campaigns end.

I fail to see how it’s in any way “easier” to write off a season, particularly from a legal standpoint.

Season is going to be voided as it was in 1939 (and Blackpool were not given the title).

It will be months before it could safely restart and even then there would be chaos if one team suffered an outbreak. Plus there's so many problems with contracts; rescheduling safety issues, e.g. do we really want police and ambulance teams on standby, then there are the clashes with other sports, e.g. cricket and rugby league - it just isn't going to happen.

Whether teams in relegation/promotion places should be awarded titles/demoted is a different question but my personal view is the competition(s) would be incomplete and therefore void.

not wont be voided mate. It’ll be coronavoided.

Arlene "Big Arthur" Foster was saying earlier that when the schools close it would likely be for 16 weeks.

Yeah I read that. Seems quite extreme.

Although there are people out there who seem to think a week off work and closing schools for a fortnight will solve all this.

Unfortunately I'm starting to fear this will be a very long process and we are going to have to change all our behaviours.

Also well worth noting again that not every team in the prem has played the same amount of games (some haven’t even reached 75%). To ‘give’ one team something that’s, right now, only probable at best, in such a state of in-balance is a joke
Also would not shock me if they vote to give it to them. These are chief execs who are talking, not normal fans...totally different perspectives but at least Brady is (cannot believe I’m saying this) championing sanity

New players coming in? Why would new players be coming in? The transfer window would be pushed back, even if contracts couldn’t. Only players would leave, no new players would join, therefore it would only frustrate clubs if multiple first team starters were to leave before the end of the campaign, and I don’t think that’s the case anywhere.

The rule change is unavoidable, something will have to change, and it wouldn’t allow the strengthening of teams, only the potential weakening of teams if they are unable to convince certain players (who were due to leave anyway) to continue to play to the campaigns end.

I fail to see how it’s in any way “easier” to write off a season, particularly from a legal standpoint.

Ok, but what if clubs, somewhat legitimately want to utilise the players they've signed and have under contract?

A rule change is only unavoidable if you don't do the obvious thing, and void a season that cannot be completed within a given timeframe.

Legally why is it easier? It's just the logical position. If you can't finish something it becomes invalidated. Football runs on seasons. It's both explicitly and implicitly factored into the DNA and rules of the competition. When you start messing about with them, you have to justify each decision to a court, and with each change you make you open up a whole set of new questions that become hard to answer.

If your answer under cross examination was- the season couldn't be completed so it was needed to be repeated in full to move forward I can't see how anyone could really have any legal challenge to that.

This is what happened in the 5 nations in the 70's. This is what happened in WW2 here, or in Iraq in 2003. It's what happens in any race with a fault start. It's what will happen in European leagues. It's not perfect, but it's the best of a bad set of solutions and the easiest to defend, as you don't have to start delving into the minutea of contracts.

The season can be completed, though. This pandemic will not continue forever. There will be a time, not a million miles away, where business returns to normal. At that point, the season can continue.

The authorities may have a deadline where they will declare the current season void, if they are unable to resume normally by that point. Then again, they may not have a deadline whatsoever.

We will simply have to wait and see how it pans out. But for me, there is zero chance of this season being voided. Far too much risk for the Premier League in doing so, far too much paperwork, lawsuits and any decision would probably need the support of Premier League clubs and most would not vote in favour of ending a season prematurely, unless there was some sort of safety concern.
Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.