Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they can put a man on the moon they can make a vaccine,just a matter of throwing enough money at it
Like they did for The Common Cold, SARS, MERS etc...yep, can't move for them vaccines.
Bit of a rum cove this virus chappie - not easily solved.

Thing is if Big Pharma throw enough money at the problem and solve it, they'll want big money back.
Is 'the world' grown up enough to open source and share info for the common good.
Or will it just be a race for big returns and a Nobel Prize

If countries that are well run ie. Germany can get their 20/21 season started on time and England is still a mess due to the incompetent tory morons and potentially can't have a 20/21 season surely the players will be looking transfers elsewhere. Can the clubs sue the govt?

I must admit that I'm confused about how this virus has impacted on countries in different ways. I live in Australia where the pubs, restaurants, and various public facilities were shut down just a few days before Britain. Social distancing was introduced at the same time. Requests to stay home unless going out for exercise and essentials were issued at about the same time, and seem to have been observed by most.
And yet, Britain has suffered over 18,000 deaths while Australia has had just 75, so far. What other factors could have made such a difference?

I read a report of a Chinese study on the various strains suggesting that the strain in Europe is much more deadly than those in China, America and Australia. Even so, my daughter lives in WA and I find myself disbelieving the information she is getting on the number of cases. They were actually slower than the UK in closing schools, and I was very anxious for my grandchildren and daughter as she is a teacher. They are due to re-open the schools next week, which I still think is unwise.

I think and you may be able to confirm it. Australia started the restrictions earlier than us. Stopped air travel and anyone coming in had to quarantine for 14 days. I have family in new Zealand and that's what they have done. And they haven't had many deaths. Compare to us airports still open. 7000 people brought back from India last week. Arrive back at the airport no checks just went back to their house. We have been behind most countries I think because the scientific advice was it better to catch it and get herd immunity. Then that professor from imperial.college predicted 250000 deaths if lockdown wasn't in place. They panicked and brought lockdown in. Most people dying i.e the old and infirm would mostly have died from something else anyway. By the way this professor predicted 250000 deaths when we had foot and mouth a few years ago if we didn't lockdown. What happened. No lockdown and there were no deaths
Oh that's OK then.

Ridiculous statement IMO.

5 Mill in Sydney compared to London is rather small.
That doesn't equate to 18,000 deaths in the UK and 75 in Australia. Others who responded to my post talked about the difference in timing of implementing
lockdown, but it was minimal - I don't have the exact statistics. The whole process only started about 5 weeks ago. Again, 18,000 deaths against 75 doesn't
equate with the minor difference in measures taken to battle the virus. And it doesn't matter whether you live in a house or an apartment if you're 'staying
home'.

Last edited:

While population density will undoubtedly have played a part, the real reasons for Australia's much better situation re the pandemic are more to do with their rapid response in comparison to the dithering approach from our Government.
To date Australia currently has one of highest per capita testing rates in the world.
Less than 7000 tests have been made in Australia up to now.

Less than 7000 tests have been made in Australia up to now.
That is why I don't believe the overall figures are accurate, because nobody really knows. Add to that SCOMO's Trumpian outlook and i think that the situation is likely to escalate over there.

I think and you may be able to confirm it. Australia started the restrictions earlier than us. Stopped air travel and anyone coming in had to quarantine for 14 days. I have family in new Zealand and that's what they have done. And they haven't had many deaths. Compare to us airports still open. 7000 people brought back from India last week. Arrive back at the airport no checks just went back to their house. We have been behind most countries I think because the scientific advice was it better to catch it and get herd immunity. Then that professor from imperial.college predicted 250000 deaths if lockdown wasn't in place. They panicked and brought lockdown in. Most people dying i.e the old and infirm would mostly have died from something else anyway. By the way this professor predicted 250000 deaths when we had foot and mouth a few years ago if we didn't lockdown. What happened. No lockdown and there were no deaths
Yes, the 14 day quarantine for people flying in was implemented pretty quickly, mainly because we have a lot of Chinese students at our universities
and we were at the end of our Summer holidays.

My thought now on this.
This season will be scrapped.
No sports until winter at least. This might also help in setting a new calender for the winter world cup.
No champions league or Europa. Strong rumours Spain are locking the borders for the rest of the year.

I really believe leagues and clubs and organisations should be more concerned with how the hell they are going to survive. Not thinking about some pipe dream of going again in 2 months time.

If social distancing is going to last into next year, then simply how do you play most sports? How do you train?
If they are only going to let a few people into Gyms at any one time. Then you vent then say, oh but team sports are ok. Just not going to happen.

Oh that's OK then.

Ridiculous statement IMO.
Most people who have died in care homes would have died anyway. Coronavirus is a notifiable disease meaning that the government has to be informed even if that person died of something else. The first report into the make up of the people who have died published last week found that people with diabetes, heart failure, overweight and aged where found to be in the majority. And from that most would have died early anyway like I said. 4 million died worldwide in 1968 from Hong Kong flu. Nothing closed down. 2014 there was an excess of 40000 people who died in the uk due to the cold weather. No one battered an eye. No stories of individual people in the paper. For me and this is a personal view this has been a massive over reaction. That is not to say that it is a tragedy to any family who loses a loved one because it is. But hardly any people under 50 have died. The vast majority are over 60 with underlying problems so like I said most would have died anyway

Yes, the 14 day quarantine for people flying in was implemented pretty quickly, mainly because we have a lot of Chinese students at our universities
and we were at the end of our Summer holidays.
And we had nothing. People still flying in and still walk straight out of the airport

I read a report of a Chinese study on the various strains suggesting that the strain in Europe is much more deadly than those in China, America and Australia. Even so, my daughter lives in WA and I find myself disbelieving the information she is getting on the number of cases. They were actually slower than the UK in closing schools, and I was very anxious for my grandchildren and daughter as she is a teacher. They are due to re-open the schools next week, which I still think is unwise.
[/QUOTE
The Federal government here are advising us to send our kids to school acting on medical advice that children are not at risk. My daughter is keeping her
young kids at home and I think most parents are. Not because they have no faith in the medical advice, but because they think it's risky.
Some commentators are critical of the teachers union which is expressing concern for them. They don't appear to understand that while young children may not be seriously affected by the virus, they can pass on the infection to their teachers, and then on to others.

And we had nothing. People still flying in and still walk straight out of the airport
I watch UK Sky news and BBC news every day and I wasn't aware of that. Are you sure that planes are still flying in to Britain? I know that I can't go there.
I was going to the Bournemouth match next month before this all kicked off.

Most people who have died in care homes would have died anyway. Coronavirus is a notifiable disease meaning that the government has to be informed even if that person died of something else. The first report into the make up of the people who have died published last week found that people with diabetes, heart failure, overweight and aged where found to be in the majority. And from that most would have died early anyway like I said. 4 million died worldwide in 1968 from Hong Kong flu. Nothing closed down. 2014 there was an excess of 40000 people who died in the uk due to the cold weather. No one battered an eye. No stories of individual people in the paper. For me and this is a personal view this has been a massive over reaction. That is not to say that it is a tragedy to any family who loses a loved one because it is. But hardly any people under 50 have died. The vast majority are over 60 with underlying problems so like I said most would have died anyway

A large part of the problem as I understand it is that the virus can and has mutated. The more people it is allowed to infect, the more it mutates, and the higher the chance it could be come more deadly for those who aren't currently infected. I believe, yet have no proof, that this is the bit where the science changed. I also think that could be a reason why there are currently so many different trials going on in different areas, because they are focusing on slightly different aspects of the strain they are tackling. It's only from thing I have read, and I have no idea if those things are the right things, but it makes sense to me. I see no other reason why a GLOBAL response would be so different to this than it was other epidemics.

Status
Not open for further replies.