Club Direction Recruitment Grit and Passion over Style and aesthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our mercenaries are quite good when their tails are up and they have something to go for. Then we lose against one or a couple of the top sides (saying that it was Villa this season) and it seems collectively they think 'bugger it' and don't really bother to play thereafter.

This will always be the way with players who come for the money. To me you need a hardworking team first that you then sprinkle some great players in to make a difference but not at the expense of the base unit. If you get close to the top and get Champions League football then you can have as many ballers as you want as they will keep themselves motivated.

the seasons only just finished mate
Starts in 6 - 7 weeks it's not the norm transfer window we finished p,aging worse than the teams relegated spat from Norwich - it needs sorting the sooner the better in a non panic way we have to offload players too......our wage bill must be scary on players who don't even play now ......

Starts in 6 - 7 weeks it's not the norm transfer window we finished p,aging worse than the teams relegated spat from Norwich - it needs sorting the sooner the better in a non panic way we have to offload players too......our wage bill must be scary on players who don't even play now ......

Joey it was two days ago - you think we should of had 6 signings already?

Joey it was two days ago - you think we should of had 6 signings already?

He hasn't said that at all mate people just putting suggestions out some good ones so far though.
And he is correct season is just around the corner.
Seeing as your in depth answer to all suggestions so far has been dont agree or none of them haha what you think is the direction the club should take interested to know who we should sign in your opinion.

Originally posted this in the Allan post but thought it would be better on its own.
Intrigued to see what everyone's thoughts are on recruitment as i genuinely think its a massive task to turn our squad around at the minute and wont be easy.

Watched a little bit of him last night for Napoli undoubtedly one of the best players on the pitch classy touches control so tight and rarely gets caught in possession seems to move away every time.
But if he is playing at a level clearly beneath him is that attitude gonna come with especially if he gets around the likes of Sigurdsson etc and many others who have looked so uninterested.
My worry is that he didn't do much and clearly looks a little uninterested and it got me thinking after watching how abject some of our play has been do we need those uber positive give all for the club run into the ground players with great attitude rather than these show pony half arsed big pay cheque hunters.
In the long run maybe less dynamic football for a bit of that old grit and effort for the badge.

Just a thought while i was watching it last night as i hope we really get out of this period as a club because we seem to have a lot of low confidence players and i think it goes back quite a while now if we all have a good think about it.
I just hope we have a similar turn around sooner rather than later like the Mancs did i mean they had a pretty dreadful run for a bit with those show pony all about themselves players but seem to have found that confidence again after some culling and tough decisions from Ole.

The team to match is the Atletico side under Simeone.

They brought through a number of young players and also signed a few as well.

The defence is solid as is the keeper.

The centre midfield is also solid.

If we can achieve solidity in those 3 areas then we have a platform to build upon.

Its great looking at the goals scored column but for me its even nicer looking at low figures on the goals against column.

To answer your question we need a mix of both but all players need a hard work ethic and winning mentality.

If it was me, I would 1st look to sign an average, reliable, senior goalkeeper, someone who is maybe not spectacular, but a calming influence, someone who has good communication with his defence, and have pre season be an opportunity for both him and Lossl to stake a claim. I'd be listening to offers for Pickford and make it known he has no future here, and try and bring in as much as possible for him to be spent elsewhere in the team.

In terms of defence, we have a wealth of good young CBs but need 1 captain/leader type who will lead the entire team by example. Even if he is slightly older and doesn't play every week, having him around the squad would be a major boost for any of the younger CBs who play with him. We have been linked with Silva and Ivanovic, not saying it should be either of them, but they fit the profile. If we can get someone half decent, I'd sell 1 of Mina or Keane, Probably Mina, as he will be on more money, would commandna bigger fee, and Keane counts as home grown.

I would bring JJK back to audition for the future RB roll and share the position with Coleman. He may not be the flashiest player, but he has a few qualities we seriously lack, determination, fight, and a sense of pride in the shirt and leadership. He will only improve by playing, and if after this season he needs upgrading, then so be it. I also note that Markello who went out on loan, started as a RB, so maybe he could fight for this position in the future.

LB, we have Digne who is clear 1st choice, and given it is unlikely we will improve on him anytime soon, not a position we need to worry about. Baines retiring is what it is. He did OK when he came in, but he was very much past his best. The young lad coming in, and maybe Gibson as cover, but I wouldn't be against bringing Robinson back for additional cover, with a view to blooding him, or making a tidy profit in a year or 2.

Centre mid Is Where the biggest job is. I would sell Sigurdsson and Delph for whatever we can get. Gomes I'd give another year. He needs to be fully fit and get some games and confidence back under his belt. With the continuing absence of Gbamin, we need at least 2 to go with Gomes. Davies, I'm not as down on as everyone else, but I think he needs a year on loan like Kenny. Maybe try and build a relationship with Shalke to see if we can use them going forward as a sort of testing ground. A year away would do him good i feel, and he could either come back improved, or we could look to sell. I would reintroduce Dowell preseason and give the Davies spot to him for a year, see how he does. As for the targets, I don't know a great deal of Allan, but he seems to be number 1 choice and will definitely improve us. The other should be someone young and athletic, but disciplined, someone Ancelotti can coach to be a foil for Allan or Gomes. Again, linked with Rabiot, maybe a loan with a view to buy? I don't know how possible that would be. I would surprised if Brands hasn't still got his eye on the young Argentinian lad he was looking at last year to bring in and settle in before he is needed to be relied on. I wouldn't be against bringing Liam Walsh back on a free either. Better than what we have, and if he doesn't make it, we sell for profit.

Bernard I would sell for whatever we could get. I'm not convinced by Iwobi, but would give him the benefit of the doubt giving his age and length of contract. Maybe with better players he would improve, but if we could use him as a make weight in a deal for someone else, eg, Zaha, i wouldn't be against it. Walcott I would keep unless we could get a similar player with better end product. He definitely offers us something noone else in the squad does. Bolasie, id be inclined to give a chance too, only because of his determination and hard work to get back, so give him till January to prove himself, and if not, move him on. Either way, we couldn't get a huge fee for him.

Up front, if we can keep Richarlison, we are set with the 3 we have plus Simms as a youngster. If Richarlison goes, I'd be looking to bring in a similar young talent we can develop and an older player to take pressure off Kean and DCL. Sandro, id give pre season to impress Carlo, then make the decision. I have a feeling we wouldn't shift him permanently unless he drops wage demands, so would otherwise be another loan till his contract runs out. Tosun I would sell, again, for whatever we can get.

So that's 1 GK, 1 CB, 2 CM, 1 Winger (maybe 2) and possibly an additional younger forward/winger as a minimum.

He hasn't said that at all mate people just putting suggestions out some good ones so far though.
And he is correct season is just around the corner.
Seeing as your in depth answer to all suggestions so far has been dont agree or none of them haha what you think is the direction the club should take interested to know who we should sign in your opinion.

I’m sure the manager and brands know who we want etc leave it to them and stop flapping as he we haven’t signed any one yet of worth to say

Status
Not open for further replies.