Claiming the title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Partly agree that first is the best but I was only a few weeks off 11 in 1970 so although it was absolutely brilliant when we beat West Brom the 1985 triumph when I was adult and could appreciate it after the pain of the 70s and early 80s and the rise of the RS was truly a wonderful moment that I could properly appreciate. A fair bit of dust in my eyes in the last few minutes against QPR that sunny afternoon in May.
The clincher in 1970 was absolutely ace though. Night match 1st April, Celtic playing Leeds in European Cup the same night iirc. Goodison was chocker block, over 60,000 I think. Quite a lot of tension at first since WBA a bit of a bogey side after 1968. Earlyish goal into Street end by Whittle which we attacked first half so guessing WBA won toss. Brilliant second into Park End by the White Péle after twisting run along the edge of the penalty area. He did not score many so it added to the excitement. One of the best things about night matches in that era was the continual sight of people lighting up cigarettes which added a permenant sparkle to the crowd. Terraces of course so that fantastic constant swaying of the crowd which has been lost in the modern era. A crowd is of course a living thing but back then it was a living moving swaying thing too!! Players had to climb up to centre of old Main stand to receive trophy. New main stand partly under construction at the time. Was not usually allowed to match on school night but mum relented. Chips and cream soda on way home then watched Celtic highlights. School next day was pretty good!!!

I was more interested in girls and cars then. (about 9) So I didn't know anything about it until I saw it on the news. "hey mum. My team won the league." Still have an image of Van Den Hauwe burned in my brain from that brief clip.

I was about 10 in 87 so only have very sketchy memories of it. I hate to be so negative but, the way football has gone, I'm not sure I'll see it again

How good would it be if the next time we won it, we got presented with the trophy in a match against the RS and they had to give us a guard of honour?

Especially if we win it again before they do!!

It was bloody agony! The vivisectionist doctor might as well have removed me toes

couple of whiskies, down to the old lady watch the win, on the lash in the night - pop down to the doctors when the hangover has gone, take the doctor hostage and force them to do the procedure. happy days.

Great whenever you win a trophy, think the first time you experience it is the best.1963 we won the league, got there
an hour earlier to be sure of getting in, pay at the gate then. Everton didn't let us down against Fulham, scored two early goals and won easy 4-1, Vernon got a hatrick, crowd was delirious, singing the songs with over half an hour to go,
match finished, more singing, chanting waiting patiently for the team to presented in the old main Stand,crowd just all in heaven, screaming each players name as they waved back, Tony Kay smoking a huge cigar, no-one wanted to go home,
most of us would have stayed all night, a great day, but maybe that was bettered when we won the FA cup against
Sheffield Wednesday in 1966 coming back from losing 2-0 to win 3-2. To be honest every time we won something was
special, just hope we can see some more, but we are stuck with Billy Liar. So doubt it.

.....Fortunate enough to see them all from 1963 onwards but I'm hopeless at recalling detail. I was playing by the early 70s but still managed to see a fair bit of that truly great team, managed to get to Sheffield Wednesday away after we'd won. I recall that was Grand National day, so we probably won with a bit in hand but might have that wrong (Morrisey scored and we won 1-0).

I remember bits of 85 season (CWC semi and final where ace) FA final was my first taste of football heartbreak, 86 season more vividly (sadly), and 87 fondly. The carnival atmosphere against Luton Town was awesome.
The thing that is most depressing though is that although the Merseyside clubs where clearly stronger in that period, every other club had hope and opportunity to put a challenge together. That was what made football so exciting.

Why shouldn't young Evertonians or indeed fans of any club have hope of seeing their team succeed.

I am greatful I lived through those great years but in some ways it makes the current state of football more galling.
I watch very little these days, especially Champions League rubbish.

Threads like this, or showcasing trophies with the old teams of the 80's at half time, etc, just depress me.

Status
Not open for further replies.