Claiming the title

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue_aussie05

Player Valuation: £8m
For those of you who remember it, maybe you can help the ones who were too young to prepare for the day (hopefully) we'll win it again.

What stories or memories have you got of us winning the league? Can you describe the atmospheres at Goodison or away games as we took part in title challenges at the business end of seasons, the emotions of winning it and seeing us lifting the trophy.

My main recollection is feeling a mixture of nerves and excitement going to the games during the title run-in. The anticipation of, week by week, picking up wins that edged us closer, along with the disappointment or elation of losing or gaining points on our title rivals every weekend.

I remember the joy of winning it, the chants of 'Champions' and the general euphoria of saying we'd done it. The immense pride and satisfaction of them lifting the trophy, and officially being crowned as the best.

Hopefully, I'll one day get to experience it again. Hopefully, one day, those who were too young to see it will get the chance too.

For those of you who remember it, maybe you can help the ones who were too young to prepare for the day (hopefully) we'll win it again.

What stories or memories have you got of us winning the league? Can you describe the atmospheres at Goodison or away games as we took part in title challenges at the business end of seasons, the emotions of winning it and seeing us lifting the trophy.

My main recollection is feeling a mixture of nerves and excitement going to the games during the title run-in. The anticipation of, week by week, picking up wins that edged us closer, along with the disappointment or elation of losing or gaining points on our title rivals every weekend.

I remember the joy of winning it, the chants of 'Champions' and the general euphoria of saying we'd done it. The immense pride and satisfaction of them lifting the trophy, and officially being crowned as the best.

Hopefully, I'll one day get to experience it again. Hopefully, one day, those who were too young to see it will get the chance too.

The first game I went to that season was QPR away.

We lost 3-0.

:(

I have fleeting grainy memories of being on my dads shoulder for the victory parade along Queens drive at the fiveways. It was packed. Would love to see us win the league again but it's never going to happen any time soon. Shame..
Edit: this was 87 if no one realises ;)

For some reason I didn't do the victory parades in 85 or 87, but was deffo by Goodison when we did the open top bus thing after the FA cup wins in 84 and 95.

Don't know why I missed the league wins, though. Maybe they didn't do one as we got presented with the trophy both times at Goodison?

The panic over getting in, the entrance to the enclosure in '85 was slammed shut when I was about 4 from the front, I legged it round to the Paddock where there was a huge queue and a fella grabbed me and pulled me into the line close to the front.... haven't a clue why tbh. That year I think that when we beat Spurs away in the night match we all knew that was it, we simply didn't throw things away with that team so 'Everton That' was never coming into it, the belief in the team and on the terraces just didn't even question that we were on our way to the title.

Seem to remember that in 87 it was a victory at Arsenal (Lukic miskick to Clarke) that had a similar effect. I also think in my mind that taking the title back from the R/S was a massive achievement as I reckon their 86 double winners are possibly their best side & that year of course we ran them so close.

I remember that QPR game,2-0 up ten minutes to go,you knew it was ours,I was just staring at the ref willing him to blow the whistle to signify we were CHAMPIONS:)

Great whenever you win a trophy, think the first time you experience it is the best.1963 we won the league, got there
an hour earlier to be sure of getting in, pay at the gate then. Everton didn't let us down against Fulham, scored two early goals and won easy 4-1, Vernon got a hatrick, crowd was delirious, singing the songs with over half an hour to go,
match finished, more singing, chanting waiting patiently for the team to presented in the old main Stand,crowd just all in heaven, screaming each players name as they waved back, Tony Kay smoking a huge cigar, no-one wanted to go home,
most of us would have stayed all night, a great day, but maybe that was bettered when we won the FA cup against
Sheffield Wednesday in 1966 coming back from losing 2-0 to win 3-2. To be honest every time we won something was
special, just hope we can see some more, but we are stuck with Billy Liar. So doubt it.

Great whenever you win a trophy, think the first time you experience it is the best.1963 we won the league, got there
an hour earlier to be sure of getting in, pay at the gate then. Everton didn't let us down against Fulham, scored two early goals and won easy 4-1, Vernon got a hatrick, crowd was delirious, singing the songs with over half an hour to go,
match finished, more singing, chanting waiting patiently for the team to presented in the old main Stand,crowd just all in heaven, screaming each players name as they waved back, Tony Kay smoking a huge cigar, no-one wanted to go home,
most of us would have stayed all night, a great day, but maybe that was bettered when we won the FA cup against
Sheffield Wednesday in 1966 coming back from losing 2-0 to win 3-2. To be honest every time we won something was
special, just hope we can see some more, but we are stuck with Billy Liar. So doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.