Christmas Everton books

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty

Sack Sky and donate to GOT...donations are needed
Anyone expecting EFC books for Christmas?

I've just finished reading Everton FC, 'The Men form the Hill Country' by Tony Onslow, it tells the history of the club in Victorian times. If anyone is interested its a cracking good read, nicely presented and only cost £5.95

Another good read is 'Thank God for Football' by Peter Lupson which lists the history of most teams that came about from church groups, again its a good read. One criticism I have is the fact that both the author and his co-conspirator, John Motson are reds, some how they are included although we all know their origins lie in a pub landlord and his abuse of low paid people living in his hovels

The Everton Miscellany is a book of unusual facts about our great club written by Mark O'Brien with a foreword by Graeme Sharp, its always worth a quick scan

Any other recommendations

I've never been a reader of books but I've made it known that I want Graeme Sharp's autobiography, if it's as good as I'm told it should give me the will to buy a few others for my flights in the new year

I've just finished reading Everton FC, 'The Men form the Hill Country' by Tony Onslow, it tells the history of the club in Victorian times. If anyone is interested its a cracking good read, nicely presented and only cost £5.95

Another good read is 'Thank God for Football' by Peter Lupson which lists the history of most teams that came about from church groups, again its a good read. One criticism I have is the fact that both the author and his co-conspirator, John Motson are reds, some how they are included although we all know their origins lie in a pub landlord and his abuse of low paid people living in his hovels

The Everton Miscellany is a book of unusual facts about our great club written by Mark O'Brien with a foreword by Graeme Sharp, its always worth a quick scan

I've got the first & last books you mention but not "Thank God For Football", although I do have the 'spin-off' "Across the Park" which goes into much more detail about the differences & the common ground between us & them. I suppose RS are in the former of these 2 books as they can trace themselves back to us & thence to St. Domingos. But I thought that Lupson was a Norwich City supporter, & doesn't Motson support somebody like Brentford or Barnet?

I've got the first & last books you mention but not "Thank God For Football", although I do have the 'spin-off' "Across the Park" which goes into much more detail about the differences & the common ground between us & them. I suppose RS are in the former of these 2 books as they can trace themselves back to us & thence to St. Domingos. But I thought that Lupson was a Norwich City supporter, & doesn't Motson support somebody like Brentford or Barnet?

Those books are rank. Hands across the park brain dead wishful thinking.

I'd advise anyone just to save their cash and gawp at The Everton Collection website. There's enough real history on there to keep you occupied for months.

Collection | The Everton Collection

Yeah, the one you sent me three years ago, a great read and no
you ain't having it back ! :p

Hope you're on the mend mate. ;)

Without question the best Everton book for Christmas or any other time of the year are 'Dr Everton's Magnificent Obsession' by David France & Dave Prentice. This is the entertaining and educational tale of how David France put together his Everton Collection. It's down to earth and funny just like Dr France himself. Published by Trinity Mirror it has been acclaimed as the very best Everton book of all-time and also one of the best football books of all-time. It's something for all Blues to own and be proud of! Take a look at the fantastic Everton Collection website - it's not as good as the book.

Next there is 'Alex Young - The Golden Vision' also by David France which should appeal to your granddad, dad and every other member of your Everton family. A limited number - all signed by Alex Young - are available exclusively at Everton One and Everton Two. They may have sold out by now. These are collector's items worthy of the Everton Collection. The book is a real pageturner with contributions from hundreds of Everton fans and Everton players about 'one of the most skillfull footballers of all time (and that includes Brazilians and other South Americans). A brilliant book - if you can get hold of a copy. It should come with a warning - once you pick it up, you won't want to put it down.

Then there is 'Cup Final Blues' - great little book with inputs from some equally great Evertonians.

Without question the best Everton book for Christmas or any other time of the year are 'Dr Everton's Magnificent Obsession' by David France & Dave Prentice.

Damn, stole my thunder on that one.

'Still Talking Blue' by Becky Tallentire is also a cracking read but I may be biased as she got mine signed by HK for me. In all seriousness though, I thought it was a great book.

I have yet to read 'Across the Park' but I hope it is as an inteligent read as 'Thank God for football'. Motson has admitted many times his liking for the reds, not his first team but they are in his closet mate. The same goes for Lupson. He was promoting his book at Maghull Chapel, the wife got it for me and again he said he loked watching the RS.

I'll get 'Across the Park', should be an interesting read if you want to 'know your history', cheers mate

Yeah, the one you sent me three years ago, a great read and no
you ain't having it back ! :p

Hope you're on the mend mate. ;)

Getting there slowly but surely my old friend, which book was it I sent you, can't remember but it was sent for you to keep................................or sell lollollol

and as Neiler says, great to be in the same thread again mate;)

Damn, stole my thunder on that one.

'Still Talking Blue' by Becky Tallentire is also a cracking read but I may be biased as she got mine signed by HK for me. In all seriousness though, I thought it was a great book.

Both are great books as is 'The Everton Story' by Derek Hodgson and Colin Harveys 'Everton Secrets' which basically covers the clubs more recent history

Without question the best Everton book for Christmas or any other time of the year are 'Dr Everton's Magnificent Obsession' by David France & Dave Prentice. This is the entertaining and educational tale of how David France put together his Everton Collection. It's down to earth and funny just like Dr France himself. Published by Trinity Mirror it has been acclaimed as the very best Everton book of all-time and also one of the best football books of all-time. It's something for all Blues to own and be proud of! Take a look at the fantastic Everton Collection website - it's not as good as the book.

Next there is 'Alex Young - The Golden Vision' also by David France which should appeal to your granddad, dad and every other member of your Everton family. A limited number - all signed by Alex Young - are available exclusively at Everton One and Everton Two. They may have sold out by now. These are collector's items worthy of the Everton Collection. The book is a real pageturner with contributions from hundreds of Everton fans and Everton players about 'one of the most skillfull footballers of all time (and that includes Brazilians and other South Americans). A brilliant book - if you can get hold of a copy. It should come with a warning - once you pick it up, you won't want to put it down.

Then there is 'Cup Final Blues' - great little book with inputs from some equally great Evertonians.

Excellent recommendations, I agree entirely.

Those books are rank. Hands across the park brain dead wishful thinking.

I'd advise anyone just to save their cash and gawp at The Everton Collection website. There's enough real history on there to keep you occupied for months.

Collection | The Everton Collection

It is amazing how much they've been able to put on the site in a relatively short period of time.

There are enough primary sources in the Everton Collection to give anyone the chance to write their own Everton book.

I'd love to see them add video footage (if possible) as the site develops.

Status
Not open for further replies.