Chelsea vs Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yep. Right on message. Don't give the team selection any credit.
I’m over the moon we have got a point from that but it could have been very different. One game doesn’t make a team, one game doesn’t make a manager. I’ve given credit to various players who deserved it and I do believe we had to sit in, but I don’t believe it was a tactical master class because we all said at half time we could have been 3 down. That plan was forced upon Benitez the credit I’ll give that fraud is the fact he didn’t try to be clever like he usually does. With 12 players out, with young players forced upon the team, we needed some luck in that to get through.

Had we lost tonight, I wouldn’t have blamed Benitez either. As you’ll see in my posts before the game that tonight, with the injuries we have would have been a free pass but as I say, its not about one game. It’s taken 17 games for us to see a passionate performance. One game can’t paper over the cracks.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the result but staying level headed.

Benitez got his tactics spot on tonight, defence looked far more solid with Branthwaite added to it and, I thought, in spite of the criticism he was given, Kenny looked far more solid than Coleman has. Kenny is not the answer, by any means, but, is probably a better option than Coleman at the moment.

I thought Pickford was outstanding and I stand by what I have said in the past, he is the least of our problems and should not be sold. Branthwaite each time he has played in the first team has looked both commanding and composed, he is comfortable on the ball for such a big lad. It was refreshing to see the pace up front of Gordon and first Simms then later Dobbin, what a nice change having a centre forward on the field who can run.

I was torn three ways for MOTM between Pickford, Branthwaite and Gordon, I went for Tony Gordon the amount of work he put in was immense, but, he also seems to be maturing as a player all of a sudden. Young Branthwaite looks a player. In the modern game you really need at least one defender who is huge, Branthwaite fills the bill, I’d be happy to see him play all the games for which Mina is not available.

Going forward now, I hope Benitez realises that when his first choice strikers are not available, he should look to the young Simms and Dobbin, rather than his washed up Venezuelan mate. There is no excuse for us ever having to see Rondon lumbering around the pitch again.

Buzzing off that performance tonight, we rode our luck, we could have been 3 down in the first 20 minutes, but, they say fortune favors the brave and tonight the blues were both brave and fortunate. A much better performance than the Arsenal game imho.

It has been a strange season so far - hugely proud of some really gutsy performances and come-from-behind results (which is a nice change from recent seasons) but also disappointed by other performances and results (which is not so new).

Tonight’s excellent and unexpected point against the European champions is a good example. Because of the inconsistency, every point is critical. Don’t know if we will be able to spend much (if anything at all) in January.

Changing manager again so soon would be completely ridiculous - so it may happen.

Only heard score updates on the radio, but delighted to have gotten a draw at Chelsea. But it won't mean much if we continue to get beat by the likes of Palace.
Great to hear the youngsters being involved in the goal. I'd like to see more of them getting a chance to show if they are cut out for the first team, ahead of some of the senior players that have consistently let us down. They may not make a difference, but if one or two could make the grade it could save us having to pay big money for another possible Delph, Iwobi or JPG.

Pickford was outstanding and MoM but I'm changing my vote to Simms, who is being underrated by some on here and currently has no votes. He was on his debut playing against world-class defenders and still managed to get more flicks and shield more balls than some of our former forwards. He may or may not have a future with us but he played and pressed as well as anyone with a degree of intelligence I wasn't expecting.

I think this game showed that Gordon has established himself as a first-team player and, not expecting too much, I was also impressed by Kenny's overall performance.
He would have been established well before now if our previous manager had played him more often. Hats off to Benitez for recognising what Ancelotti hadn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.