Match Thread Chelsea vs Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll.

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Everton’s Gordon West makes a fine acrobatic save from Chelsea’s Charlie Cooke during Everton FC’s 1-1 draw against Chelsea FC in this League Division One match played at Stamford Bridge, London on the 7th September 1968.

I haven't watched Chelsea at all, so here are my uninformed opinions/predictions to go with everyone else's:

- if Tuchel feels threatened by the opposition left and/or right backs, he plays Reece James and/or Chilwell. If not, Hudson Odoi and Alonso start.

- this evening Reece James will be played to try to nullify Digne. Alonso will start on the other side. This is where the game will be won and lost.

- Depending on fitness, we will play 2 of James, Coleman and Holgate on this side - don't forget the job Coleman had in the derby. If they play well, so do we.

Any truth in any of this?

IF we lose though I do think that is CL gone with the games we have left, I dont think it was ever a realistic target.
All ifs and buts I know, but even if we’d only drawn at home against Leeds, Fulham & Newcastle, it would have seen us currently in the top four with games in hand and in a tremendous position. We’re gonna look back on those 3 fixtures with regret I feel.

I'm trying to be objective about tonight and have some perspective, not usually my strongest points I'll admit. A result would be brilliant but it's going to be very tough because they have improved and are the most confident they've been all season. It's a big game but it's not going to be make or break and I do still think we are in a top 6 race rather than for 4th.
I'd like to finish at least 4th in this 6 horse race

Today’s result is important of course, but there’s a good amount of football still left to play. We can still catch Chelsea even if we lose. Similarly, they can easily catch us even if we win.

Draw would be sufficient, I think. Less about giving us 1 point and more about not letting Chelsea get 3 points when we get 0.

If we want to step up, these are the games we shouldn't fear. Chelsea are good but they aren't city. Why shouldn't we win? We've won at anfield and spurs. I think we'll look better against better opposition. Draw will be a decent result too

Status
Not open for further replies.