Centre Midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why pushing Gomes farther up the field sitting in front of Delph and Gbamin will be a viable option in some cases. But regardless, we did create chances in the first half.

Yeah, we did. I don´t know how much yesterday´s game was an indicator though. Palace surrendered the middle of the park and were very happy to see us have a lot of possession where it didn´t hurt them. I think a more powerful midfield (like Watford´s next week) could take advantage of us.

Proves the point that Iceman either needs to drop deeper or we need a more ball playing CM
Or Siggy remains someone static in that zone 14 area and the CF needs to be more dynamic and versatile coming back to the ball. Kean can do that. Either way, we can't be that predictable.

Will be interesting to see how many goals we get from central midfield I’m guessing no more than 8 and that’s a worry
I take it you are not including Siggy in that comment, so you are referring to our 2 holding midfilders given that we play 4231 the vast majority of the time.

So not getting 8 goals a season out of our 2 holding midfielders is a worry. Interesting.

Can only hope Gomes and Delph get fit and stay fit.
Otherwise we will be overun, even by mediocre teams, as per yesterday.
What?

First 45 whilst Gomes was on we completely controlled the midfield. Even our resident Palace supporter came onto the match thread to ask if there's any chance of getting a kick.

Even after Gomes went off and we subsequently went down to 10 men we ere never overrun. We didn't have the same control but we weren't overrun.

Or Siggy remains someone static in that zone 14 area and the CF needs to be more dynamic and versatile coming back to the ball. Kean can do that. Either way, we can't be that predictable.

So we're building a side around Sigurdson and his lack of involvement in games like yesterday?

Or put a CM who likes the ball in there.

End of the day, each position has 2 players in it yet his doesn't.

I would like to see Gomes play in the advanced midfield role in a 4-3-3.

I think thats why we wanted Docoure so we could have gone:

Gbamin Docoure

Gomes

I feel he has the quality on the ball to create chances for the striker but is hampered having to do defensive cover.

I suppose we could still do it when Delph's fit but due to our poor transfer window it feels like we are stuck playing a weaker system untill January when we can try for our targets again.

One things for certain Siggurdsson for me is a luxury player who should only play when we are facing teams who will let us play on the counter.

Against weaker opposition who put 10 behind the ball/clog up the midfield - we need 3 in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.