Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Clev on cheese

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatara

Player Valuation: £90m
I was reading this article from the usually excellent Barney Roney of the Guardian. It illustrates his views on Wengers choice of central midfielders for the United game.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...er-united-arsenal-arsene-wenger-jose-mourinho

I found this extract particularly interesting:

'By the end here Wenger had dismantled the oddly flat, samey Mohamed Elneny-Francis Coquelin central fulcrum, and replaced it with Aaron Ramsey and Granit Xhaka, a midfield that does at least look like it genuinely wants to go out and win a football match at Old Trafford. To select one workaday, lateral, do-a-job central midfielder seems sensible enough. To pick two looks like self‑defeating caution.

In Wenger’s defence, a lack of muscle in the middle has been exposed by Mourinho teams before, most glaringly in the 6-0 defeat by Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in 2014, which quietly euthanased Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s central midfield career. But at some point, not least when this is your team’s strength, you do have to play a little, too. Elneny is a good, neat player, but he is essentially a VW Polo of a footballer, matched here against Pogba’s high spec, quiveringly cantilevered four wheel-drive-mobile. At one stage late in the first half Elneny and Coquelin tried to oversee a rapier counter-attack, an odd spectacle as the ball pinged back and forth between them, like watching a particularly stodgy rugby line trying to lumber forwards, only backwards passes allowed.'

For me, this is a similar case of us playing Gana/Barry or Gana/McCarthy...I see no logic in playing 2 defensive minded players in midfield especially when Gana is essentially our Kante/Makalele in waiting, he's that good.

Surely when opposition managers know that we will have 2 defensive midfielders playing they can throw off the shackles a bit and play attack minded centre mids knowing that there wont be any penetration from us and we will need to resort to long balls. We can see the huge gaps from defensive midfield to Barkley all day long...

Personally, I'm a bit sick of reading that the players are to blame for every negative result when we setup in such a negative fashion. We have other players who can play further forward (Lennon/Bolasie/Deulofeu/Mirallas) so why not get Barkley alongside Gana and give the opposition something to think about?

Yes, it may not work and perhaps we need to sign someone in Jan/Summer but surely now is the time to move Barkley back...

Everyone can see that Barry and Gana is our first choice central midfield pairing. It isn't a great pairing, and we need to add a new CM in January, but any other central midfield pairing we have at present is shockingly bad. Other than Gana and Barry, all of our other CM options are all bottom half standard.

Go get Carvalho in January and get a playmaker in too.

Carvalho is a top player but a like for like replacement for Barry. Ive been championing him here for a couple of years now but perhaps we need more of a box to box player.

Carvalho is a top player but a like for like replacement for Barry. Ive been championing him here for a couple of years now but perhaps we need more of a box to box player.

See my point about Carvalho, trying for him will be waisting time and effort on a player who isn't gonna be going anywhere - all sorts of a mess over his old agent mendes as well which will complicate the current papers bollox of him going to united. sporting president really doesnt like Mendes lol

We don't have the players to do this properly. When Barry plays Gana has more of a free reign.

Also depends on what formation you use. If it's 4-2-3-1 then a natural defensive midfielder and a box to box centre midfielder is a bit more dynamic then two defensive players. We were seemingly after a box to box player in the summer.

From a personal viewpoint I prefer a midfield triangle. One midfielder to sit, and in front one box to box and one creative midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.