2018/19 Cenk Tosun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. Needs to offer more than just working hard - not been too impressed with his link up play.

He provided the assist for Richarlison's second v Wolves and he had a perfectly good assist disallowed for that Walcott goal that was given offside even though Tosun was on.

He was offering plenty. In the last two games (notably with Richarlison suspended) he hasn't been offering anywhere near what he should.

My point, as we discussed yesterday and I know you agree with, was that before Sunday he hadn't been missing sitters. I think that was mainly due to him not really being in those positions often enough, but part of that is how I think Silva has asked him to play.

On Sunday he did get in those positions and he failed to convert.
Yeah I agree with that.

As I said though, my question is a genuine one, i'm actually interested to know what people think we could do to get him the service he needs. He can definitely finish, I have no doubt about that, I just can't quite see how we're supposed to create chances for him, because I don't know what he's good at other than that. He seems to be a bit of a scrappy striker from what I've seen of him so far, in that he just likes to finish things that fall to him in and around the box without being particularly proactive about getting into a good position, but I was wondering if others had identified areas where he would thrive if given the opportunity.

Yeah I agree with that.

As I said though, my question is a genuine one, i'm actually interested to know what people think we could do to get him the service he needs. He can definitely finish, I have no doubt about that, I just can't quite see how we're supposed to create chances for him, because I don't know what he's good at other than that. He seems to be a bit of a scrappy striker from what I've seen of him so far, in that he just likes to finish things that fall to him in and around the box without being particularly proactive about getting into a good position, but I was wondering if others had identified areas where he would thrive if given the opportunity.

I think the perfect example would be the Huddersfield goal he scored last year. Based on his goals at Besiktas I think that's a 'typical' Tosun goal - i.e. on the shoulder of the last man.

He doesn't have loads of pace, but he has enough to get in behind over a 5/10 yard run.

That's where you need to have a player to be able to play those passes, and more importantly, we need someone deeper to be able to get the ball into those players/maybe play the pass themselves.

I think the perfect example would be the Huddersfield goal he scored last year. Based on his goals at Besiktas I think that's a 'typical' Tosun goal - i.e. on the shoulder of the last man.

He doesn't have loads of pace, but he has enough to get in behind over a 5/10 yard run.

That's where you need to have a player to be able to play those passes, and more importantly, we need someone deeper to be able to get the ball into those players/maybe play the pass themselves.
Yeah you may well be right, the Huddersfield and Valencia goals were both good finishes from that type of situation. I think the problem he's going to have is that he's not quick enough to keep up with the players either side of him when we're breaking forward, so unless we have a team penned back, those passes aren't going to be forthcoming.

Yeah you may well be right, the Huddersfield and Valencia goals were both good finishes from that type of situation. I think the problem he's going to have is that he's not quick enough to keep up with the players either side of him when we're breaking forward, so unless we have a team penned back, those passes aren't going to be forthcoming.

Even if we do have a team penned in he doesn't have the attributes to worry defenders and get himself into those positions enough. Can't see him being first choice for much longer which will definitely improve the team.

I really despise the negativity on this forum and see myself as a positive poster. However, I’m going to be totally honest with this post, and if others feel I’m being contradictory here then so be it.

I like Cenk, and he does put a shift in. I reckon he also cares about playing for us, and he’s desperate to do well. However, he’s simply not good enough. He’s flat footed, lacks pace and just hasn’t got that natural strikers nose

Moreover, he’s too easily brushed aside. I hate to say it, but imagine him up against Van Dyk and Gomes? He’s never Going to do the business for us.

Richarlison is our only answer up front. The situation is crying out for him. It maybe makeshift, but there’s no way Tosun is the right man for us.

Which is why we desperately need to be able to build our attacks up in phases. We just don't do it anywhere near enough, for a variety of reasons.

Hopefully that changes when Gomes comes in.

But ultimately Tosun does need to sharpen up as well because there's no doubt he's off form at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.