2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to sound all revisionist over his time here, but the big games where we felt we were up against it, he seemed to have a game plan and get the players to be able to execute it 90% of the time. But it’s the bread and butter games, especially after around Christmas it feels like he kind of didn’t bother and just let the players or possibly coaching staff get on with it (purely speculation on my behalf of course,).

Which is probably fine at a Real Madrid where your players and resources will be enough to see off most of the league without anything more than small management or guidance.

Some of our performances week to week were night and day. Just beat the worst team in the league in the penultimate game and we could likely achieve something, yet we couldn’t even lay a glove on them.

I could of course be chatting absolute crap like, but some of the stuff coming out does sort of hint it.

Last edited:
Fun fact - they actually aren’t.

Jags, Gana, Barkley, Lukaku was a better spin that what we have now.

Valencia got more goals and Bolasie more assists than Iwobi has since he's been here.

Cleverly was better than Davies...pure facts as he could run.

But that's all nitpicking IMO. The point is more that both managers arguably got the best out of their current squad.

It's this, for me. I was expecting to kick on ASAP but he never did it as well as he should

I am massively worried about where we go next, but this is the time to press the reset button now. We've tried pretty much every cliche for a manager under Moshiri.

100%

I'm still not sure whether I'm sad he left or sad because the dream of competing under Ancelotti never materialised and was a big anti-climax. Time will tell on that one.

I am pretty worried about what might happen next though. But if players really want to go then I think we should let them go for the right money. We haven't done anything in years so no one is irreplaceable.

Absolutely.

That's the big thing for me. I personally had more hope that next season it was time to kick on. Had the manager putting his feet under the table, knew who to let go and bring in, had the name to persuade talent.

That's the kicker. It's deflating.

He got our highest points total (59) behind Koeman's first season (61) since Martinez' first (72) and has our best win percentage in the premier league.

We need to admit that last season was the squads limit.
With respect I completely disagree.

Yes his win average was higher than other managers, but I remember quite a few victories where we were very fortunate. How many games can you remember this season where you can say we played the opposition of the park? Early in the season definitely but beyond that?

In terms of setting the team up, style of play etc he got a system that worked... Sitting deep and trying to nick a goal on the counter. This worked well in quite a few of the away games. During games when the opposition employed the same tactic it was clear we had no plan to break teams down.

Yes his win average was higher than other managers, but I remember quite a few victories where we were very fortunate. How many games can you remember this season where you can say we played the opposition of the park? Early in the season definitely but beyond that?

In terms of setting the team up, style of play etc he got a system that worked... Sitting deep and trying to nick a goal on the counter. This worked well in quite a few of the away games. During games when the opposition employed the same tactic it was clear we had no plan to break teams down.

It doesnt detract from how we played over the season, but it's more the point that it was a solid enough foundation overall to move on to the next step.

We played some terrible stuff, some good stuff, and mostly disjointed stuff due to injuries and squad depth. Carlo knew this, he said so in interviews and based on the Athletic story he was all set to progress with transfers and pre season all ready to go.

Then in 48hrs that's gone.

“Listen, I can guarantee you, Real Madrid weren’t the only team after Carlo Ancelotti. I can tell you that for sure, but he wouldn’t do anything unless it was a Real Madrid, and Real Madrid came in, they were in dire straits because Zidane had left and you know, Real Madrid are always decisive, and if that’s the way they move, Everton have to move the same way,” Campbell said.

Super Kev there.

Show me a manager that hasnt got that in their record. Kin hell i can remember Everton under kendall hanging on for dear life in games.
Ancelotti was a winner of games more than he wasnt.
But thats all gone now.
Im actualy a bit worried about this next appointment because believe me this squad is p!ss poor. We all know its issues so no need to go into it. Just praying its done early and they can do a bit of business because as it stands with the current personel. Yuk.

See my previous posts.

If we're talking about it as failing students, surely they have a limit of where they can go? That limit was 59 points and this season 10th.

It's almost like getting Oscar Pistorius to outrun Usain Bolt because he eclipsed his division. There's only a ceiling he can get to.
We do not know what the limit is. Neither for the students nor the team. But 59 points in isolation is not bad, and is acceptable. But in a wider context it is a 10 place, and then we did not reach our goal. This means that teams we think we are better than have done better than us.

But our main problem was that our game gradually got worse, the point average got worse, and we did not look like a team that would get much better. In the end, it also did not seem like there was much harmony in the team, if we are to believe the rumors.

I used to watch matches this year and say " whats the plan? Whats our way of playing? .its like they met 20 minutes ago and knocking about the park"
Just go play.
No wonder it was turgid. Good riddance

Status
Not open for further replies.