2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
i believe tosun was playing for a champions league club at the time and was one of the top scorers in the champions league plus it was a january signing so the price was always going to be over-inflated

but when we pay 50 mil for a sigurdsson then we were always going to be targeted as the club who would be prepared to pay ridiculous prices

Playing for a Turkish champions League team means absolutely nothing. Van Persie went to Turkey for a champs league team when his legs had gone .... Which pretty much explains how we signed a player with no legs.

Siggy was a spurs reject who was a big fish in a small team at Swansea..... They had us off big time.

So essentially you are more or less agreeing that our player recruitment was rubbish

Playing for a Turkish champions League team means absolutely nothing. Van Persie went to Turkey for a champs league team when his legs had gone .... Which pretty much explains how we signed a player with no legs.

Siggy was a spurs reject who was a big fish in a small team at Swansea..... They had us off big time.

So essentially you are more or less agreeing that our player recruitment was rubbish
the question was whether carlo inherited a crap squad

the squad he inherited is full of international players with european experience

there may be crap individuals in that squad but the squad is alot better than the vast majority of squads in the premier league

i don't think carlo would have accepted the job if he thought the squad was crap

ofc i hate all of them except bernard

my point is when they were initially brought in, they were deemed as players who would help to improve us.

no-one signs a gash player on purpose, they just turn out to be gash later

1. delph - most people were happy with this signing at the time due to his experience, i understand a few were wary about his injury problems but for the fee at the time everyone was quite pleased

2. bernard - i've vaulted so many of you about him so get in the bin

3. walcott - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42799046 - scored 2 goals in his 2nd game for us and helped us beat leicester

4. iwobi - we signed iwobi in August 2019 and by 1st September 2019 he had already scored 2 goals for us
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49416525, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49463332

5. tosun - he scored 5 league goals in 14 league appearances in his debut season

"The January signings of Cenk Tosun and Theo Walcott have undoubtedly improve a frontline that struggled so badly in the first few months of the Premier League season."

6. gomes - i remember very clearly that first season everyone begged that we signed him from barca after his loan spell ended, and i remember everyone being so confident we would win the derby because we had the best midfielder in the league

Wow this just in, players had good games 2 years before Ancelotti joined.

They were proven absolute turd long before Ancelotti joined. They are poor players. I also don’t think anyone has ever believed Andre Gomes is the best midfielder in the league.

the squad he inherited is full of international players with european experience

there may be crap individuals in that squad but the squad is alot better than the vast majority of squads in the premier league

i don't think carlo would have accepted the job if he thought the squad was crap
Never read so much rubbish in my life.

Two points:

1. The squad is not better than the vast majority of other squads, it is an average squad hence why we have finished mid table in recent seasons.

2. The determining factor in whether CA would come to us was not the current squad, it was what resources he would have in order to improve it.

He inherited an average squad with a few good players. Simple as that.

Two points:

1. The squad is not better than the vast majority of other squads, it is an average squad hence why we have finished mid table in recent seasons.

2. The determining factor in whether CA would come to us was not the current squad, it was what resources he would have in order to improve it.

Yeah but mate, they played international football for the likes of Turkey and Portugal 5 years ago so they’re obviously boss.

No. The squad was nowhere near the top 6 squads. We didn’t have a right back who can cross a ball, and Ancelotti inherited the slowest midfield in the league, and the slowest centreback pairing.

Wow this just in, players had good games 2 years before Ancelotti joined.

They were proven absolute turd long before Ancelotti joined. They are poor players. I also don’t think anyone has ever believed Andre Gomes is the best midfielder in the league.

Two points:

1. we have finished 7th, 8th, 8th before carlo took over

2. i didn't say that the determining factor was the squad, i said he would not have managed us if he though the squad was poor

if newcastle got took over by a saudi billionaire and they said to Carlo we will give you 500 mil to spend this summer, you think he would join them?

Ignores somewhat that he had his ankle obliterated and has returned looking like a pub player. I liked pre-injury Gomes, he may have been inconsistent but no one could watch his display at Anfield with Gueye and say he lacked quality. The problem now is that that player has gone completely. A fully fit Gomes and Gbamin and Silva probably kept his job. But injuries meant Siggurdson and Davies and we all know what happens then, managers get fired.

So were relegated Watford and Bournemouth.

Last edited:

Excellent vault work. It is quite incredible to think how much his stock has fallen. Don't get me wrong, some of that is the usual hubris of footie fans. But I don't think anyone thinks he is top notch these days.

Behave. Our sqaud is about 7th or 8th best on paper. At a push. So really Carlo has us about where we should be yet with a game in hand and a strong finish he could have us 5th or 6th.

Leicester, United, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, City have all got squads better than us no doubt. Arsenal too I'd say but they're having a crap season.

Behave. Our sqaud is about 7th or 8th best on paper. At a push. So really Carlo has us about where we should be yet with a game in hand and a strong finish he could have us 5th or 6th.

Leicester, United, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, City have all got squads better than us no doubt. Arsenal too I'd say but they're having a crap season.
you have just agreed with me then

a squad which is 7th or 8th best on paper is not a poor or awful squad then

you have just agreed with me then

a squad which is 7th or 8th best on paper is not a poor or awful squad then

doubt watford had more than 6 international players in their squad

bournemouth might have had a few more than them

pretty sure we've had around 11-17 players out on internatinonal duty at any one time
The international duty point is, um, not always the best marker. Nigeria, Iceland, Republic of Ireland and the like will literally take whoever has two legs and plays pro football.

Poor squad. As a SQUAD in a collective sense it is poor. It has no strength in depth. We are forever shoving square pegs in round holes. We have not had genuine high level competition for places for many a moon. I.e. in the sense it drives excellence.

So yeah, we can put out a decent first team. But we proper limp along when suspensions and injuries bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.