2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still wouldn't hate if we struggled for a bit while we tried to nail down a way of playing. Part of the reason that the diamond formation doesn't work is because the guys are unfamiliar with it as we've spent a ton of time defending as two banks of four. That's not inherently a bad thing but our two banks of four doesn't turn into enough going forward. There is still work to do if we want to be a CL contender in the coming seasons.
A diamond only works if you have 2 competent attacking full backs ( we have 1 ) , a solid defensive pivot who understands the role ( we dont ) , 2 athletic central midfielders who are able to get about the pitch ( ok maybe Allan and Doucoure if they were fit ) and a creative player at the tip ( James is great in that role but only fit for 1/2 a season , Sigurdsson who is meh and Iwobi who only you think is any good).

I really don’t know how we have managed to get into the top six when you consider some of the horrendous performances we have put in. Carlo has obviously managed to have a really positive influence especially in those games where players might not expect to get anything.

There are things to be worried about though - not having more shots than the opposition in the last 18 games!!! (including dross like West Brom and Sheffield United), 16th in the league in the amount of shots taken - if we concede first you tend to assume that we won’t be winning the game at the minute.

It would be nice if we could actually play some decent stuff at times too. It’s a tough watch at the minute.

If we don't get Europe, he's failed. He's said it himself.

He won't be sacked because of it, but him, Dunc, Davide, Brands, and the players, will have failed, because Europe is the target for this season.

If we don't get it, then we're going to have to sell someone, because we won't have the money to go on and build the squad.

In an ideal world, that's going to be Kean, Iwobi, Bernard etc - but they all are hopefully going to go anyway.

But in a realistic world, Richarlison and Dom are our major assets. The draw to keep them is Carlo, but financially, because of the impact of COVID, we need Europe. It really would be abysmal not to get it, especially given the chances we've had.

That's on Carlo, Brands and everyone involved.

The core squad now has only ever finished higher than 8th. That's the level of the players we have proved by number of managers.

The key players Carlo has brought in have been injured for large chunks of the season.

So the fact Carlo has gotten them where they are at the moment, in this mix of the top 6 proves the level of the manager at getting this squad to punch above its weight especially under circumstances (injuries, squad depth).

No Europe wouldn't be a failure in my book. It'll be a final nail in the coffin for these players IMO:

Pickford
Coleman
Gomes
Iwobi
Bernard
Walcott
Sigurdsson
Kean
Davies

I really don’t want to qualify for the Europa League, our squad depth is comically bad and our medical team can’t even keep players fit during a normal season. Plus no player signs for a club because they are in the Europa League, no one is getting a hard on over the thought of playing loads of games against European minows.

Yesterday should not come as a surprise seeing who we have lost to already. The strange thing about this team is just when you think it's done and you are ready to the write off the season, they go on a run of wins to get us back in the mix. Will it happen again? Who knows, but it has been the story of our season so far.

We are just a mixed bag and obviously doesn't help when we are missing two of our best players in the middle. One thing is for sure we don't deserve to be in the CL and if somehow we did and we carry the majority of this squad going forward then it could end up being an embarrassment. We usually do OK against the better teams result wise but more games where we have 20-30% possession would be a grind.

We need another season to build first.

Big money isn't the only thing necessary. We have spent big money over the last few years and wasted 70% of it. What gives anyone the confidence 1 transfer window will have us play positive football?

Have Leicester or West Ham spent big money? How poor were West Ham last few years compared to this one? That just proves if you are well coached and work hard with the players you have you can have them play with confidence. That is something Carlo hasn't done. His whole idea rests on the fact that "I am the biggest manager Everton has ever had." And our fan base has put a blindfold to the very obvious signs that have been there for the past 3-4 months.

We'd probably get 2-3 new players, RB being one. Any more than that could mean a disaster in terms of blending them is. So most of the players will be same give or take. What will be the excuse then? You'd still have injuries.

Considering the new stadium I am not sure how much cash we'd have to spend in coming years, combined with COVID losses.

So I am not giving Carlo anymore than 5/10. He his staff and Brands can do one if we are still playing such garbage, uninspiring football. Carlo is not Everton.
exactly, Klopp would have this team working far harder than Carlo has.

we've had more disgusting home performances under Carlo than we did under fat Sam Silva and koeman combined.
No we haven't. That's a blatant lie. We lost loads of embarrassing home games under all three of those clowns by scoreline's llike 6-2, 5-1 and 5-2. Ffs if you're going to criticise the mam then at least do it based on facts rather then laughable lies that can easily be disproven with a casual glance at our home results in previous seasons.

Last edited:
He had 1 transfer window during a global pandemic with financial limitations on his spending.

He has coached the HELL out of what he has got, won at Anfield and moved us from relegation fodder to within 2 wins of Champions League spots.

Yes we lost but wind your tiny brains and genials in if you think any other coach could do better.

In Carlo, We Trust

I don’t even know why he puts himself through this crap. Man is in his 60s pretty much won everything where he’s been doesn’t even need to be here, sure he has enough money aside to live out the rest of his life in a recluse I know that’s would I’d be doing at his age.

Unless we have a mass exodus in the summer and can bring in 4/5 real quality additions we’ll be back to square one again next season. Same old gutless, half arsed, not good enough faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.