2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean it's a very fair point, but the counter is going to be, what is the average time of managers in each of those clubs over the last 20 years as well. I would imagine you are looking at under 3 years per manager. So how much if a reflection of Ancelotti, and how much is a reflection of those clubs is open for debate.

The reality is, if you start the season like we have at those clubs, for the majority of them, you get sacked. So they don'tlend themselves to lonegevity.
I think what you’re pointing out is Ancelotti doesn’t usually manage a team like Everton. And that’s what people are really pointing out......hence the worries

We are all entitled to our opinions and I completely understand the frustration some have around his decision making and recent performances. However before we get on his back or worse still give up on him (fans are coming back to stadiums) there’s a few points to consider.

His target is 7th place this season and we are still in that mix.
Although right now top half would still be progress albeit disappointing. - let’s judge based on this further into the season.

He still has fundamentally the same squad that he inherited that wasn’t performing, with a few tweaks and creativity in the form of James.

There are a distinct lack of leaders in the squad.

There is a lack of pace in midfield.

Carlo still has to man-manage the players he has at his disposal. (- don’t be surprised if he sells players that he has been criticised for selecting because he is also trying to put them in the shop window.) -it’s been suggested he needs to sell before he can buy. In which case he’s in a difficult position but could end up being a master stroke if the case AND he did say on his arrival this was a project!!

The point is we don’t know what is said behind closed doors and sometimes selections and comments on tv are politically correct.

He says Pickford is a good GK on tv and we criticise him for it, but he’s hardly going to slate him so that’s good man management.

Final thought I want to share is in 1989 United fans were putting banners up saying goodbye to Fergie and we know what happened there....

We are all entitled to our opinions and I completely understand the frustration some have around his decision making and recent performances. However before we get on his back or worse still give up on him (fans are coming back to stadiums) there’s a few points to consider.

His target is 7th place this season and we are still in that mix.
Although right now top half would still be progress albeit disappointing. - let’s judge based on this further into the season.

He still has fundamentally the same squad that he inherited that wasn’t performing, with a few tweaks and creativity in the form of James.

There are a distinct lack of leaders in the squad.

There is a lack of pace in midfield.

Carlo still has to man-manage the players he has at his disposal. (- don’t be surprised if he sells players that he has been criticised for selecting because he is also trying to put them in the shop window.) -it’s been suggested he needs to sell before he can buy. In which case he’s in a difficult position but could end up being a master stroke if the case AND he did say on his arrival this was a project!!

The point is we don’t know what is said behind closed doors and sometimes selections and comments on tv are politically correct.

He says Pickford is a good GK on tv and we criticise him for it, but he’s hardly going to slate him so that’s good man management.

Final thought I want to share is in 1989 United fans were putting banners up saying goodbye to Fergie and we know what happened there....
I stopped reading at “he has fundamentally the same squad. No he hasn’t, he’s signed Allan, doucoure, Godfrey and friggin james Rodrigues...... imagine Southampton pulling that off........

I stopped reading at “he has fundamentally the same squad. No he hasn’t, he’s signed Allan, doucoure, Godfrey and friggin james Rodrigues...... imagine Southampton pulling that off........

so these players don’t need time to adapt to new surroundings, team mates and cultures.. just pile in and turn people like Tom Davies, Micheal Keane and Alex Iwobi into world beaters over night.

sound, this footy management thing sounds easy la

so these players don’t need time to adapt to new surroundings, team mates and cultures.. just pile in and turn people like Tom Davies, Micheal Keane and Alex Iwobi into world beaters over night.

It’s just a game of footy mate......not parliament

It’s just a game of footy mate......not parliament
Good players and good football clubs don’t make excuses. It’s just everything on this forum is full of them. Zero accountability and zero progression and all people want to do is make excuses about a change in culture and surroundings. What on earth is going on

I mean it's a very fair point, but the counter is going to be, what is the average time of managers in each of those clubs over the last 20 years as well. I would imagine you are looking at under 3 years per manager. So how much if a reflection of Ancelotti, and how much is a reflection of those clubs is open for debate.

The reality is, if you start the season like we have at those clubs, for the majority of them, you get sacked. So they don'tlend themselves to lonegevity.
Valid point; I was just responding to someone using his Milan stint to contradict someone else who questioned Ancelotti as a long term manager.

Everything he says really only reinforces what we already know. He is very good at handling a squad made up of star players. It is of little relevance to Everton.

Carlo still has to manage the players he has at his disposal. There seems to be a view held that another manager would be able to get long term higher levels of performance out of these limited players maybe due to some sort of rock solid tactical set up whereas Carlo has an old fashioned brand of man management and pragmatism that only works in a short term on top players.

I don’t see this. We’ve tried the other approach, Koeman, Silva, they have a single way of playing and you get a short term burst from some players but then performances nosedive. The league works out the tactics and then when performances go south the managers have no answer. See Arteta currently. The players stop playing for them and they get fired. Rinse and repeat.

Good man management and pragmatism might be exactly what’s needed for this squad. Keep some of these clowns onside for long enough until they can be shipped out.

Last edited:
why is set up to fail? Honestly I give up with half of you no wonder I get more depressed on here at times! Ffs have faith!
Matty, I love your positivity but you give zero actual substance in anything you say apart from. It’ll be sound......back yourself up mate with something you’re seeing with your eyes....

why is set up to fail? Honestly I give up with half of you no wonder I get more depressed on here at times! Ffs have faith!
It's set-up to fail because there is zero accountability at boardroom level, hence the same old crony culture running through the club.

More obviously, the director of football is working to a brief that doesn't suit the manager's needs, which is possibly why we're struggling to beat teams whose entire XI and subs cost less per week than Bernard and Delph.

The bizarre situation of Carlo being criticised for not making the most of our quality players, most of which he brought in...

Status
Not open for further replies.