2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
You saw drastic changes in Leeds immediately, and there was never any doubt about what Liverpool and Manchester City were trying to do. All three coaches share a characteristic: They have a clear and detailed playing style. My question is, what is Ancelotti's philosophy?
And Liverpool Abd city will most likely finish top 2 and Leeds between 8th and 13th.
because it Basically comes down to having great players. Yes a great manager can that bit extra out and win games they shouldn’t, due to great tactical changes.

Let’s not forget Leeds collapsed 2 seasons ago and a lot of people think they were starting to go again last season and covid saved them, will be interesting if they can keep this style up all season in a much tougher league.

Ok. So for beginners, yes Bielsa has a clear and identifiable style. There is a lot more to management than that though.

I suppose by opinions in football, I'm talking about people who matter, in top clubs board rooms. Ancelotti is viewed on a other level to Bielsa.
Yes, I agree with that. It's because Bielsa is a rather difficult person, and who has to control everything in detail. Ancelotti is the board's dream, and who never raises his voice.

I'm not saying they are. But they are likely to be the best judges of performance arent they? They have people paid millions of pounds to make such decisions, who are far more qualified than you or I.
Yes, Well, they should be. doesn't always mean they'll make the right decisions. Look at van gaal at utd. He had a similarly great reputation before he went there, and look what happened. He stank the place out and it is widely accepted his philosophy and tactics were outdated. maybe if their board had done their homework properly and not listened to another outdated coach (ferguson) they wouldn't have hired him.

I get the feeling Carlo falls into a similar bracket to van gaal, maybe his methods aren't up to it anymore? I dunno, we'll have to see on that one. But football has changed drastically this last 5 years, even the last 2. Coaches need to adapt accordingly or they're in danger of being tactically irrelevant. Lets see how things pan out.

Bielsa is renowned as one of the most innovative coaches ever. A groundbreaking coach who rewrote the coaching manuals and re-invented the 4-3-3.

Carlo has always been renowned as a figurehead, as a great man manager and someone players love to play for. If you were to look at him tactically then you would say he was a disciple of Sacchi.

Yes, but over time he has abandoned some of Sacchi's principles. Klopp, for example, is very inspired by Sacchi, and especially the pressure game. Guerdiola is also inspired by Sacchi, but it is especially the pressure game. They have further developed it.

Wilder was just an example because it was a good quote. But no matter what happens to Sheffield United, he has performed better with the team than anyone could expect. The quote covers the attitude of most coaches I would assume. Guerdiola has said the same, and many other coaches.

Well, often there are not very competent people who hire coaches, and a lot goes through agents and contacts. The same goes for players. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, and you have to have certain characteristics to coach the world's best team. You have to have the players' respect, something that Ancelotti has. But you do not have to be a great tactician or innovator.

Again, Ancelotti is a good coach, but he has always performed as expected. Some data models indicate that he is the coach who has underperformed most of all coaches in big clubs in the last 20 years - in terms of resources. I do not know the reliability of these models, but it is also something that is talked about in the football world. He also won the league only once with AC Milan, which in itself is an achievement when you look at that team.

Koeman came in at an unfavorable time, and is sitting on borrowed time anyway. Xavi will take over the team after the presidential election.

I'm not sure Wilder is over performing currently.

As for Ancelotti, given what he has won, I find it hard to believe what more he could have done really.

I'm sure the people recruiting football managers have their limitations, but they are the best barometer of how people are viewed in the game, as they are the people who put their money where their mouth is and pay millions out to do so.

We can have different opinions, but theres are the ones that carry the most validity on this subject. Theres a reason why multiple top clubs employed Ancelotti, and not a single one has employed Bielsa.

Yes, Well, they should be. doesn't always mean they'll make the right decisions. Look at van gaal at utd. He had a similarly great reputation before he went there, and look what happened. He stank the place out and it is widely accepted his philosophy and tactics were outdated. maybe if their board had done their homework properly and not listened to another outdated coach (ferguson) they wouldn't have hired him.

I get the feeling Carlo falls into a similar bracket to van gaal, maybe his methods aren't up to it anymore? I dunno, we'll have to see on that one. But football has changed drastically this last 5 years, even the last 2. Coaches need to adapt accordingly or they're in danger of being tactically irrelevant. Lets see how things pan out.

Carlo is a manager and not a coach. He is a Ferguson or a Van Gaal, someone who demands the upmost respect but gets other people to do the work on the training pitch. Ferguson sought out the best coaches of their generation and allowed them to coach the players whilst he kept his distance.

Carlo has his lad as assistant manager and Dunc as part of the Kenwright benevolent society.

Davide Ancelotti became a fitness coach at PSG at the age of 23. I wonder how that happened.

He then became a fitness Coach at Madrid.

After that he became the youngest ever assistant manager at Bayern

Followed by becoming the youngest ever assistant manager at Napoli

He is now the youngest assistant manager in the Premier League.

There are two connections, first regards nepotism, the second regards all the above teams being panned for their fitness levels.
This is relevant and important. Davide Ancelotti could be great for all I know but the evidence suggests otherwise. Nepotism is an offense in government circles and promoting one's own son to such a standing is not good enough. He should be working his way through Serie B/C proving his worth and not piggy backing on his daddy's name. The Everton players aren't fit enough for this standard of football even for one game a week as evidenced by six poor showings since the derby. Possibly even beforehand. He should not be charged with this responsibility when the club is supposed to be desperate to return to a high standard in English football. The effort and application today is negligible and fleeting moments of individual skill doesn't cut it. The Bayern players training story and the Napoli disaster make for a worrying future.

I'm not saying they are right though. Just that they regard Ancelotti far higher than Bielsa. Maybe that is wrong.

Re Van Gaal, again like Bielsa, they are worlds apart in what they have achieved and how well they were viewed. Ancelotti managed top clubs in the top 5 leagues. Van Gaal did so in 2 leagues.

And yes, maybe Ancelotti is yesterdays man. That's true of any manager though isnt it?

I'm not sure Wilder is over performing currently.

As for Ancelotti, given what he has won, I find it hard to believe what more he could have done really.

I'm sure the people recruiting football managers have their limitations, but they are the best barometer of how people are viewed in the game, as they are the people who put their money where their mouth is and pay millions out to do so.

We can have different opinions, but theres are the ones that carry the most validity on this subject. Theres a reason why multiple top clubs employed Ancelotti, and not a single one has employed Bielsa.
All true but three clear goals wouldn't have flattered Leeds last week, football is about the now,not what you did a few seasons ago.

All true but three clear goals wouldn't have flattered Leeds last week, football is about the now,not what you did a few seasons ago.

I would have to disagree with that mate. It was an even game to me.

And yes football is about now. Last time I checked we were above Leeds, despite Bielsa have far longer to work assembling his squad?

Carlo is a manager and not a coach. He is a Ferguson or a Van Gaal, someone who demands the upmost respect but gets other people to do the work on the training pitch. Ferguson sought out the best coaches of their generation and allowed them to coach the players whilst he kept his distance.

Carlo has his lad as assistant manager and Dunc as part of the Kenwright benevolent society.

Is this for real? How come a jew hating kopite is still allowed to post here with this patronising crap? Ridiculous.

Yes, but over time he has abandoned some of Sacchi's principles. Klopp, for example, is very inspired by Sacchi, and especially the pressure game. Guerdiola is also inspired by Sacchi, but it is especially the pressure game. They have further developed it.
Guardiola and Klopp though took the work of Sacchi as a starting point and then forged their own unique philosophy and refuse to compromise. They innovate and look to improve, but they refuse to move away from their core principles.

Carlo looks to roll the dice in terms of personnel and formation and hopes things click.

I would have to disagree with that mate. It was an even game to me.

And yes football is about now. Last time I checked we were above Leeds, despite Bielsa have far longer to work assembling his squad?
It's about opinion obviously,but I thought we were comprehensively outplayed in all departments. Looking at our present form I can't see us being above them come January.

Status
Not open for further replies.