2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the gameplan was the problem as such.
The system looked okay on paper with the squad players available.

The problem was we didn't use the attacking threats we did have on the pitch, and arguably we had better personnel on the bench.

Nkounkou could have provided much more first half but wasn't given the ball, especially by Delph (who seemed more concerned at racking up his successful pass stat - backwards)

Gomes was poor, Bernard offered much more forward intensity when he came on. And Gordon could have offered similar forwards traction.

We simply had too many water carriers on the pitch, none who wanted to make things happen.

It isn't that long ago that we were on seven wins in a row, on top of the league and playing some great football.

We can get back to that level when everyone is fit and available, but there's the problem.

There will be times when they won't all be available and then we're left with the mediocre squad we've had for the last five years.

You never know, we might get as lucky as Liverpool have been for the last two seasons and be able basically keep the same team together, but if not he's
going to have to get more quality in or show some faith in the likes of Gordon and stop using the dross who we know can't get Everton to where we want to be.

I don't think the gameplan was the problem as such.
The system looked okay on paper with the squad players available.

The problem was we didn't use the attacking threats we did have on the pitch, and arguably we had better personnel on the bench.

Nkounkou could have provided much more first half but wasn't given the ball, especially by Delph (who seemed more concerned at racking up his successful pass stat - backwards)

Gomes was poor, Bernard offered much more forward intensity when he came on. And Gordon could have offered similar forwards traction.

We simply had too many water carriers on the pitch, none who wanted to make things happen.
I get what you’re saying but I haven’t spoken to one person who thought the set up looked good on paper. I said on here before the game it looked a mess but I was sure he had a plan. I was right about the first bit, but unfortunately wrong about the second.

I get what you’re saying but I haven’t spoken to one person who thought the set up looked good on paper. I said on here before the game it looked a mess but I was sure he had a plan. I was right about the first bit, but unfortunately wrong about the second.

Do think there was a plan I just don't think the players were good enough to carry it out.

The issue is, Carlo should know that and know that the best thing to do with this lot is keep it simple, especially with our three best players out and, with Coleman, the four most important players to the 4-3-3 system we have been playing.

The plan seemed to be to just keep really compact. But issue is we just had no attacking threat, as our full-backs pressed so high and Delph and Doucoure - who is our only midfielder with any pace once he gets going - dropping into those spaces.

It was a really bad system and he should have changed it at half-time.

One tweak - Gordon or Bernard or Iwobi even - on for Gomes and you could have tweaked it to having Nkounkou left wing if that's what was wanted, with an attacking midfielder off Dom and Doucoure not having to play as a right-back.

Or, bring Brainthwaite on and go to a back three.

It's a mixture of three factors for me yesterday: not changing a system that clearly didn't work, the players not being good enough past the first XI and, then no.2 is compounded by our failure to add a key piece at the end of the window.

I’m still peeved we have been garbage past two games. Against teams we should be comfortably beating.

we are poop without out first team players

the rest who play when we don’t have them is basically last season sort of anyway

Onwards and upwards and let’s do man poo

Southampton was anything but a comfortable win game. They're a good side.
Thats the alex iwobi approach to games. Turn up. Do very little and then wonder why these teams are not getting beat.
Amazingly thats been within Everton for a while. Amazing because we're not even anywhere near good enough to think we could rock up anywhere and get a "comfortable" win.
That whole attitude needs to be erased.

Clearly he had a plan though, it was a plan that proved to be unsuccessful.

I'm not a massive fan of throwing people under the bus, but Gomes makes a big mistake. After they we are 1 paced and would always struggle to get back into the game. It was a team set up to win ugly and keep possession.

I'd add in now, that Godfrey, and probably Holgate will need to come back into this team when he is fit. While we have both acknowledged Holgate is probably not the world beater I and other have said he might be but he is a good partner for Keane stylistically. It can also allow us to push up the pitch.

we havnt been playing well for weeks and hardly made any chances in the last two games.
Should stop showing faith in some of these players from now on they were not good enough when he came and are not now, we He had got the it wrong the last few weeks and we have gone back to the standards that made us bad last season.
He has been let down by not getting in replacements for a few ,
this season will drift away unless we get some players in in jan.
If DLC got injured we would be in big trouble.

With offensive key players like Digne, JR, and Richarlison out, it was obvious that our offensive game would suffer. Ancelotti therefore prioritized defensive stability, and probably hoped for a lucky goal. I do not think the game plan was completely bad, but the execution was not good enough.

First, Gomes gives away a hopeless penalty kick. We have control over the match before this, but this ruins the match for us. Instead of Newcastle taking more chances and giving away more space, they can instead fall back and close off space. We have to do the opposite, but we have no breadth in our game.

Second, we lack speed of play. We are struggling to transfer the advantage in our own zone to the next. For example. when Delph gets the ball and has plenty of room in front of him, he chooses 9 out of 10 times to pass the ball. Instead, he must invite the pressure, and then pass the ball to a free man.

At the same time, Gomez and Gylfi were too deep in the field, and move too much towards the ball carrier. Too often they had their backs to the opponent's goal. Instead, they have to lie between the lines of the midfield and the defense of Newcastle. As we were set up, we had a numerical advantage in midfield. We had the ball more than Newcastle, but we could not make anything out of it.

In summary, the way we were set up was really okay. A terrible decision by Gomes ruined the match for us. Our offensive play did not work, and much of this was due to the players' positioning and the choices with the ball.

I know I shouldn’t be as it was wholly expected but i’m still really gutted how quickly we’ve reverted to type after a really good start.

lose to utd and it’ll just be a middle of the road start to the season.

Carlo should pick that selection of players/formation again - if it can’t work against a really dismal newcastle team then it needs binning.

Thought Carlo got it wrong and for the first time I was disappointed with him....I'm not sure what Gordon has to do to be getting a game, he attacks and is nearly always positive with the ball. Having Delph start is like starting with ten men IMO. Too slow on the ball and 99% of the time passes backwards, he should be nowhere near the squad never mind first team.

Gomes has been below his best for a few games now unfortunately, I don't blame him for giving the penalty away either btw, that was just unlucky and Wilson definitely "won" that spot kick.

Once we get our first XI back we can beat anyone, but that, like many others have said is our downfall, once one or two are out and the dross comes back into the team, it really notices. Carlo will need a few more transfer windows yet to sort that problem out.

Status
Not open for further replies.