2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of us seem to have written 4th spot off after today. I think that’s premature. It’s true that we have no depth to our squad. However, if we have our best starting XI available for the vast majority of our league matches this season we’ve got a chance of getting 4th, albeit an outside one. I’m just excited by the prospect of how good we might be by this time next year or this time in 2022 because Carlo has improved us dramatically since taking the helm in December.

How many times have we won 4 premier league away games in a row? Probably never. They’re the standards he’s making us expect now. It was never going to go from utterly abysmal to amazing in one season without any hiccups. Klopp took 2 to do it, Pep took a whole season. Ancelotti has had half of one.

A lot of us seem to have written 4th spot off after today. I think that’s premature. It’s true that we have no depth to our squad. However, if we have our best starting XI available for the vast majority of our league matches this season we’ve got a chance of getting 4th, albeit an outside one. I’m just excited by the prospect of how good we might be by this time next year or this time in 2022 because Carlo has improved us dramatically since taking the helm in December.

Writing off the top 4 after today would be insane. Obviously our squad depth isn’t great but with no Europe and playing once a week for a while we have a massive advantage. Seriously, I don’t know if people saw united and Chelsea yesterday but it was absolutely turgid. And they have to play European football every week, not every two weeks as normal. This applies to the teams in the europa league as well. Those teams will be suffering and won’t have either the time on the training pitch or the recovery time that we’ll get.

So long as we don’t lose our heads we should be in the mix for top 4. Even the squad depth issue- do people expect us to have 3/4 amazing options per position? It just doesn’t work like that in reality as you can’t keep all the players happy and guarantee them game time. See Laporte last year for city and now van Dijk this season- injuries to key players will happen and the backup options aren’t anywhere near as stellar- and this is for the teams who’ve finished first and second the last few years. And yet our fanbase expect us to drop in amazing players whenever a starting XI player is injured or suspended. It’s unrealistic.

Here is an ordered list of players better equipped to deputise for Richarlison before you bring Iwobi in:

Nkounkou
Gordon
Bernard
Walcott
Bolasie

Absolute blind spot for Carlo, sort it out.
Add Virginia, Lossl, Olsen, Jimmy Martin, Mr Testicles would do a better job than iwobi, at least he’d show some.......heart

Writing off top 4 is unnecessary, but then so is even talking about top 4. We’re 6 games in. We’re in a great position but let’s just see how things go. We were always going to lose at some point, but that doesn’t make today’s performance any easier to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.