2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't honestly see Holgate as weak (or the new messiah) you don't need to be a grock to be an effective central defender.Stones will never be back here so that's not an issue.As I said what makes you intimidating is taking the ball from attackers on a regular basis,which is what he's starting to do.

I think he's almost better than Stones. Stones definitely looked good on the ball, taller, stronger, more assured, but Holgate is actually almost the same in his passing and comfort on the ball - but he's also a scrappy, tackling hardworking defender as well!

Yup. Holgate brings the pace, Mina brings the physicality.

It's not perfect, time will tell whether Holgate can really keep up a top level, but for the moment it is has been much better. Holgate reads the game well and doesn't panic on the ball, my biggest worry is his strength. He isn't intimidating.
I worry more about Mina than Holgate, Holgate is improving with every game and is verbally getting teammates into line.

Just to add, the back 5 doesnt look too far off coming together with a very long term squad;

Pickford / ??? / Virginia
??? / Kenny
Holgate / Mina
??? / Gibson
Digne / ???

If we were to sign Sidibe and Gabriel then for under £50mil we would only need 2 more 'rotation' players and our defence would be 'complete'.

Its going to be interesting to see how Ancelotti goes next season if he can achieve this...whether we play on the front foot with a high line or if we go a bit deeper with the Italian mentality coming in.

Kenny doesn't do it for me. for starters.

I think he's almost better than Stones. Stones definitely looked good on the ball, taller, stronger, more assured, but Holgate is actually almost the same in his passing and comfort on the ball - but he's also a scrappy, tackling hardworking defender as well!
Both have the same weakness, crap in the winning headers.

Don't honestly see Holgate as weak (or the new messiah) you don't need to be a grock to be an effective central defender.Stones will never be back here so that's not an issue.As I said what makes you intimidating is taking the ball from attackers on a regular basis,which is what he's starting to do.

Being physically strong doesn't make you a grock. You say its not an iassue but my posts related back to Stones/Holgate. See the rest of my posts where I say he's fine partnered with Mina as they compliment each other with different skills.

Works the same way with Mina and Keane really, disastrous together as they dont provide different things.

I worry more about Mina than Holgate, Holgate is improving with every game and is verbally getting teammates into line.

I probably agree to be honest, although Mina has become more and more consistent, perhaps being more comfortable with language has helped.

My fear with Mina is he looks clumsy and perhaps its harsh to say this, but feel hes got the Distin about him. Generally pretty good, strong but you just know there is a silly mistake in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.