Cardiff v Everton. 31st Aug @ 15.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad Performers...

Osman - did he even pick his head up and play a forward pass all game? he just seemed to roll balls out the the wings and never looked like he wanted to play a forward pass.

Mirallas - People overrate him because he can do the odd step over and has a quick change of pace on the break which they find exciting, but when your playing as slow as Everton have been, then he is absolute tosh, he is a counter attacking player.

Jelavic - I feel sick in the pit of my stomach watching him play football, I have honestly never seen a player with such bad balance, he looks like he could fall over his own feet at any second.

Overall...

The rest of the team done fine, we hardly looked like conceding except from the one occasion when Jagielka was turned inside out. Sadly the 3 players I mentioned are all suppose to be attacking creative outlets and have done nothing in the 3 opening games.

Barkley got a little greedy at times and tried to go himself, but I would as-well with Jelavic in-front of me. Kone must start, although I thought Kone should have been on the of that Gerard cross, his link up play and passing was night and day compared to jelavic.

Last edited:
I think in a team that is looking short of pace in general Osman is standing out because he seems to have gotten slower again from last season. What he is doing on the ball varies from awful to good in each game, not too different to other players, but I think it is Osmans failures that are hurting the team more.

I am sure with some time on the bench coming on late in games and playing in the final third more, that he will still have plenty to offer us but I hope Gibson is back soon and that after Monday night we have a better option on the bench to cover Gibson or challenge him.

I still love Osman, but times time!

I dont think he is standing out as you put it but is simply the current whiping boy. Osmand and Felli's role in this new system does not require pace. They simply get it and give it to those with pace - Mirallas, Coleman, Kone, Deulofeu etc. - letting them to do their job. I feel that Ossie is doing this very well and the criticism is unjustified.

"We might be passing the ball around but we're not doing anything in the final third." Phil Jagielka

pretty much sums it all up for me. We're not playing bad at all but need to be more decisive and direct in the final third which Deufoleu started to do when he came in with 2 shots and good ball across the face of goal. An example would be when mirallas was played through and tried to switch it on to his right and lost it, needed to hit at frame with his left first time

On the contrary Mccarthy will push the issue, just not in the attacking midfielder goalscorer way you are talking about.

He will constantly move and show for the ball. He is not as much of a crab passer as some people are making out. I have watched all his games for Ireland and a lot of his Wigan games and one thing he will do that nobody in our midfield does, bar Felli in monster form, is break up play with a timely challenge/interception often with a sudden burst to get to a ball he is second favourite for.

From these moments the teams who were coming out to attack, probably after parking the bus as we've seen so far, are suddenly out of position and on the back foot. This will assist our attackers in getting more room to manouver in. Perfect for the likes of Mirallas and Deulo to work with.

He is not going to push the issue and certainly is a crab passer in the main. Obviously he can win 50/50s and play the ball forward or he wouldn't be a premier league midfielder if he didn't do that. Fellaini is exactly the player you've just mentioned that wins timely tackles and breaks up attacks. McCarthy isn't a patch on him in that regard whether he's in "monster form" or not. Fellaini in "monster form" would be when he almost single-handedly beat the champions on his own last year. They are completely different propositions, these two players. Fellaini is the kind of player we need at DM/CM, not McCarthy.

We have Gibson who can break up the odd attack and can play great offensive passes and look to have Barry coming in who can do a job. To compare McCarthy to Felli is way off for me. Gibbo is much the more similar player imo. Now add in the fact we'd be spending around £12m on him (us, Everton) and consider the other options, like Medel, that have already gone this year and I think we're making a mistake.

With glass half empty the last time we never won any of our first 3 league games was 2010-11
With glass half full the last time we were undefeated in our first 3 league games was 2006-07

Unsurprising that a centre back is now Everton's top passer. Phil Jagielka with 69 passes. Leighton Baines with the most in the final 3rd.

Not having a dig or anything, but do you not think that you are not really giving Martinez a chance if you are constantly looking for and posting things which back up your original displeasure at him being given the job?

I thought you were giving him a season at least?

Fellaini was way below his best today,yet strangely enough there's hardly been a mention of this,yet Osman was scrutinised for the entire 90 minutes and every error has been blown out of proportion.

And on the whole "Osman is gash but McCarthy wouldn't be any less gash" thing...

Osman has the mobility of a geriatric at present, both on the ball and off it. Having someone like McCarthy - someone always presenting for the ball, getting it off quickly and then presenting again - would instantly up the tempo of our play, which seems to be the main gripe from most of you.

Please vault the person who said that, because I've not seen it written anywhere. Plenty have said McCarthy is not as good as Felli, but I don't think ANYONE has said McCarthy is worse than Osman in CM.

With glass half empty the last time we never won any of our first 3 league games was 2010-11
With glass half full the last time we were undefeated in our first 3 league games was 2006-07
id be happy with 6th again right now based on what i've seen in those three games

Fellaini was way below his best today,yet strangely enough there's hardly been a mention of this,yet Osman was scrutinised for the entire 90 minutes and every error has been blown out of proportion.

Yes but you're missing something...

Fellaini doesn't stink the place out every time he steps onto a football field.

Status
Not open for further replies.