Captain material

Status
Not open for further replies.
..I can't see Baines being a long-term choice, with so many new acquisitions I suppose he is the longest serving player who is a regular in the team.

I don't think it matters that much.
I agree he is not long term mate,and if you look at the side at present nobody jumps out at you as a captain,I do like a strong character as captain though.

At some point I expect we'll see Jags in the ambassadorial 'Club Captain' role (if he doesn't leave in January/at the end of the season for first team football), at which time Rooney will be named 'Team Captain. England and ManU's record breaking Captain, boyhood Blue, fulfil the dream, blah-di-blah

('blah' has been used in 200 post so far on the GOT, 25 times by @hktoffee. 'ambassadorial' has been used 49 times, 3 times by @Bungle.
Make of that what you will)

Blah blah blah now it's 28 times now mate lol.

No way Jags would leave in January we barely have 3 senior center-back.

tbh when you think about it, it wouldn't hurt to see more Besic on the pitch.

At least he is guaranteed not to be a soft [Poor language removed].

No, all we had was the uber cool laidback Baines doing his invisible mild mannered Sgt. Wilson impression...'Oh I say, is that foul real necessary'
Plus any number of 'stupid boy' Pikes

All aided and abetted on here by the - 'Don't Panic' Cpl. Joneses or the 'We're all doomed, doomed I tells Ye' Pvt. Frazers, plus all the other long running so called comedic bit part characters that pop in with their own catch phrase cameos from time to time.
What would you do as capitano Deggers my man?

What would you do as capitano Deggers my man?
Who would I appoint or how would I go about it if I were on the field.

Who; 'ked if I know tbh, having an elasticated armband and calling heads or tails doesn't cut it for me. I'm a Capt. is as Capt. does wallah myself.

For Instance, Vernon was a Capt. but I'm sure Collins put his moneys worth in.
Ratcliffe had the 'band back in the day, but that didn't suddenly turn Reid, Southall, Sharp and Gray into Harpo Marx clones.

Making your 'best' player Capt. can sometimes back fire on both the player and Team. But at the moment even that doesn't apply to us as we don't really have one.
The Capt. has to be doing his own job well.
He has to know when to 'carrot' and know when to 'stick' +know which players respond to what. Also know when to say nowt.
He has to 'talk' but he has to have 'listeners' as well.

A look through the records gives us The Deans, Vernons and Balls; your star men + the odd fullback, wing half or forward...but it's mainly Centre Halves.
Coleman if he gets back to long term form
Goes out on Limb; Next season Unsworth will appoint either Keane or someone as yet off the radar.

Who; 'ked if I know tbh, having an elasticated armband and calling heads or tails doesn't cut it for me. I'm a Capt. is as Capt. does wallah myself.

Ratcliffe had the 'band back in the day, but that didn't suddenly turn Reid, Southall, Sharp and Gray into Harpo Marx clones.

Making your 'best' player Capt. can sometimes back fire on both the player and Team. But at the moment even that doesn't apply to us as we don't really have one.
He has to know when to 'carrot' and know when to 'stick' +know which players respond to what. Also know when to say nowt.

A look through the records gives us The Deans, Vernons and Balls; your star men + the odd fullback, wing half or forward...but it's mainly Centre Halves.
Goes out on Limb; Next season Unsworth will appoint either Keane or someone as yet off the radar.

....looking at other teams, Harry Kane doesn't strike me as captain material either on or off the pitch but he's being pushed in that direction at club and country levels. He must have something about him that commands the respect of others.

Shanks would be turning in his grave mate.

....looking at other teams, Harry Kane doesn't strike me as captain material either on or off the pitch but he's being pushed in that direction at club and country levels. He must have something about him that commands the respect of others.
Respect is the key;
Cue Aretha.

Status
Not open for further replies.