Can there be too much of a language barrier for a manager to be successful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericasToffee

Player Valuation: £40m
I was thinking about the possibility of Everton hiring a manager from a foreign league with very limited English and this popped into my head.

Trippier recently said in an interview that Simeone (no, I don't think Everton will be able to lure him) speaks very little English but things seem to be working out for him there. Trippier is likely the only one in that squad with that issue as most of the others seem to be from Spanish-speaking countries.

What if the reverse were true? A Spanish/Italian/French speaking manager with a squad mostly comprised of English speaking players. I'm sure the club would pay for intensive language courses but could it be a foil for a good manager?

Pochetino spoke very little english when he first came to Southampton didnt he?
I genuinely don't know. I'm sure it's happened but I don't know where and how it got on.

Here's what the all-powerful wikipedia says

Despite having some knowledge of English, Pochettino initially used a Spanish interpreter in press conferences as a way to fully express himself.

Perhaps he had a translator in training with him as well?

I think the a big part of the problem is likely more with the manager's role away from the players, i.e. interviews, press conferences, media work generally.
there is every chance that a manager with little of the language would have assistants who do speak the language of choice, and can deal with every day coaching.

So whereas it isn't ideal, I don't think it'd stop a team getting that manager in if he was indeed the best choice for the job. And any manager serious about the role, would likely work at the language and pick up what he needs within a year or so.

giphy.gif

Move this to the Brexit thread.

Seriously though, it crossed my mind with Silva about his language aptitude, because in his press conferences I often thought he rambled a bit incoherently.

Martinez and Koeman both had their second language ‘tics’ (but, ok) but were always pretty clear in what they were getting across.

As was said earlier though, when Poch first went to Southampton (his first game was against us, I think), he had an interpreter, but still got his message across well enough it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.