Homepage Article Brands Renews Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Backup is always viewed as a waste of resources if they don’t play. I take a different view on this one. I didn’t want King at all on a long contract but was fine with half a season. We could easily have had injuries that led to him getting more playing time. There was a huge clamour for more forward cover in January. I think this was the right compromise.

He has made some duds I agree, Iwobi and Delph being the big ones. Bernard is not a success either, but not a total disaster like many of Walsh’s. He does contribute when played and I think there are mor3 times when he should have been brought on.

I think my main point is that we have had more squad needs than budget. Maintaining a normal 27 man squad probably means about 4-5 new signings a season. We have probably needed to sign 7-8 whilst shifting 14-15. It’s been crackers, a very abnormal situation and unachievable really. The club recognise this and that is why Brands has a new contract. Morshi has not been shy of sacking people, so if he didn’t think he was doing what is required of him, I’m sure he would be gone.
I think the king signing was a waste personally richarlision has been missing sitters every game and DCL injured and he still can't get a game .

I just can't see anything but flashes with beenard sadly he's so unsuited for this league. Fully aligned with iwobi and delph.

I agree with what you are saying totally the problems have been apparent for years now, I think my point is that brands should have done more and be held a lot more accountable for what he hasn't sorted.

Well they're not necessarily the same thing. Backup is just that, someone who's there to cover injuries/rests. You're talking more about competition, someone who's going to come in and challenge for number 1. A) I don't think that is what Lossl was signed for, and B) It's difficult in most cases to get someone to come on that basis due to the position in question. You can play 2 strikers, 3 CMs, 3 CBs. You can't play 2 keepers, so decent keepers are likely to want to go somewhere they're more likely to get game time.
I think your back up needs to be both myself, otherwise what's the point ? I think he was but it didn't work out that way.

I think you could personally a lot of goalkeepers could look at pickford and fancy themselves to take his place quite fast. Ancelotti has stated he rotates hid keepers. So in a sense they will deffo play.

I think the king signing was a waste personally richarlision has been missing sitters every game and DCL injured and he still can't get a game .

I just can't see anything but flashes with beenard sadly he's so unsuited for this league. Fully aligned with iwobi and delph.

I agree with what you are saying totally the problems have been apparent for years now, I think my point is that brands should have done more and be held a lot more accountable for what he hasn't sorted.
I think the ‘hasn’t sorted’ holes in the squad are basically the limitations in our transfer budget.
That situation has been exacerbated by the players we have not been able to sell. There a few in every squad, but we have had an abundance.
We are all just observers on that problem and to be honest without inside information, most opinions are valid (DaveyK apart obviously).
I guess the fact he has another contract leads me to believe he is doing what is required of him and that those players are indeed unsellable.

I think the ‘hasn’t sorted’ holes in the squad are basically the limitations in our transfer budget.
That situation has been exacerbated by the players we have not been able to sell. There a few in every squad, but we have had an abundance.
We are all just observers on that problem and to be honest without inside information, most opinions are valid (DaveyK apart obviously).
I guess the fact he has another contract leads me to believe he is doing what is required of him and that those players are indeed unsellable.
That's surely down to him though to use the budget better and not waste valuable wages on silly deals like £120k per week for Bernard or paying crazy money for Iwobi

That's surely down to him though to use the budget better and not waste valuable wages on silly deals like £120k per week for Bernard or paying crazy money for Iwobi
I take your point, but Sandro, Mirallas, Bolasie, Tosun, Schniderlin, Besic, Stekelenberg, Martina, Williams etc were a much bigger issues.

Bernard was a free signing and seemed an exciting one at the time. We also signed Digne, Richarlison and Mina that window. Mina having just come off a great World Cup. Richarlison played CF that season and we needed a wide left player. A Brazilian international didn’t seem too bad a step.

Hindsight is a great thing and it maybe could have been done better. However, one thing I am certain of is that convincing players to sign is a far easier sell with Ancelotti rather than Silva.
We are a far more attractive prospect now than for many a year.

Possibly ye but the owner has given money to spend a few times, I guess I was expecting brands to get more quality on the cheap. Unknowns if you like.

Ye as I said I'm not his biggest fan but I'll get behind him again and hope for the best. People said it was all on last summer for Brands but this one is even more crucial for him for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.