Bill Kenwright

One thing I don't get..

Last week or so the club stated he was home and on the way to a complete but lengthy recovery.

Now he has passed.

I'm no stranger to hospitals, recoveries etc but I find the statement ten days or so ago very strange now.

One thing abundantly clear is Bills generosity to charity. Lovely to read.
That's not exactly a linear thing. Progressing and taking a sudden and serious turn often happen to people with weakened immune systems. Hell, Bowie had a picture of him taken by his wife a day before he died outside laughing it up.

With only a minuscule number of negatives, the vast vast majority of posts have been tasteful and respectful. There is a Christian saying based on Romans that says hate the sin but love the sinner.

In Bill's case, the Club wasn't successful on the pitch and he also made mistakes off it. However, he was a true Evertonian, and did brilliant work with EITC, and when tragedy hit various families including families who weren't even Everton fans.

Eternal rest grant to him O Lord, and let your perpetual light shine upon him.

May he rest in peace.
The middle paragraph is perfectly put. 👍

R.I.P Bill Kenwright (1945-2023) - The greatest Evertonian that ever lived.
May your soul rest in peace, and hope you have enough peace to share with all support.

Met him outside Goodison after the 2009 FA Cup quarter final win over Middlesbrough, the first match I took my lad to. He was an absolute gentleman and couldn't have been nicer to a couple of strangers, told us that we were bound to beat United and make the final.

Anyone posting negative stuff about him today needs to pull their head in, it's not the time.

RIP Bill.

Very sad to see him go, and at a time when his stock with supporters probably couldn’t have been much lower.

I think he was fundamentally a good man, who made some mistakes, but loved the club dearly - as we all do.

He reminds me a little of something I once heard about the city of Liverpool; basically, that once the city stopped being the focus of trade and movement between the UK and the US, it found itself on the wrong side of the country to adapt to Europe being our biggest trading partner, and suffered for it.

So it was with Bill - an old-school chairman, who found himself a continent away from the new world of football, of branding, and of business nous, trying to operate in an environment in which he perhaps lacked the ruthlessness (and other qualities) needed to succeed.

His legacy amongst fans will be complex, but I truly hope the club goes on to be revitalised and ascend to the heights of club football once more in our new home on the Mersey. That’ll be something for Bill to appreciate, wherever he is now.

God speed you to your rest, Bill.