2020/21 Bill Kenwright

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know you just can't knock his PR skills and his obvious love for the club..... But it always seemed he was trying to wing it as a millionaire in a billionaire game. And for that he has to take the blame for the worst couple of decades in our history.

If he had moved aside earlier around 2008/9 we could have skipped a long and difficult few years.

If he had moved aside earlier around 2008/9 we could have skipped a long and difficult few years.
Hmmm are you sure of that ? The odds on him. Being replaced back then by anybody any better are not certain .... and .. he brought in The Mosh who eventually brought the Prof
The trajectory is right and whilst I am not a huge fan he is/has been a part of the progression to where we are now

I spent a good part of an evening with Bill once, back in the '90s. I was at a performance of a rock musical at a small theatre, and Bill happened to come along to check it out for whether it would suit the West End (it didn't, but that's by the by). I was talking to him in the bar before the show, and then by a bizarre coincidence my seat was right next to him! He joked that they were keeping all of the Evertonians together, and we continued to get on well throughout the evening. I don't pretend to know all of the financial ins and outs of his tenure, and it is clear that he didn't have enough money to turn us around, but I will say left that night with a real sense of his genuine love for the club, and a strong respect for the man.

If it's all about money and trophies, then we might as well just give up what makes us different right now. The man has a deep and abiding lifelong love for the club, and I personally think there is something special about having a man like that in the chair. There's no doubt how important Abramovich has been for Chelsea, but it's no surprise that the man they really mourned was Matthew Harding. You can't buy that.

When Bill does go, I will wish him nothing but well. To give him abuse because he hasn't brought trophies just doesn't sit right with me. That's all.

We could have ended up with a Mike Ashley type like Newcastle.
Hmmm are you sure of that ? The odds on him. Being replaced back then by anybody any better are not certain .... and .. he brought in The Mosh who eventually brought the Prof
The trajectory is right and whilst I am not a huge fan he is/has been a part of the progression to where we are now

We could also have had Sheikh Mansour had Kenwright been a little bit more open (and probably not said he wanted to stick around) and we would have won 3 odd league titles and numerous cups. But instead we ended up with football so bad I wanted to headbut a pitchfork just to ensure I didn't see anymore of it.

Not that I'm unhappy where we have ended up now but we could have changed at a point we were consistently up around the top places and instead of being 25 years without a trophy that may have been halved.

You mean like Koeman, Sam or Silva periods that followed him ?

What do you mean followed him? Kenwright is still here sticking his nose in until very recently! We would have ended up back with Moyes if he wasn't overruled.

Koeman was understandable and we did go from 11th to 7th remember. We just had the worst transfer window on record and ended up with mercenaries and a team full of number 10s. Allardyce was a necessary evil at the time because if said window. Not much going for Silva but we did have a great end to his first season. He could have been the next poch but of course always better to find someone who is proven.

Which leads to Ancelotti who we tried to get previously but he said no. What can you do? Not surprising on Carlo's side seeing how we were in a mess at the time. That goes for any manager worth their salt.

You can't click your fingers and go from mid-table to champions, City even found that without the monetary controls.

Why do people still believe or write this nonsense?

How can somebody who was never gonna make the decision on our appointment, suddenly be overruled, like he was ever gonna be making said decision?

Bill isn't making any decisions.

You are aware he still owns part of the club and sits on the board? He has a say so which part of being overruled is nonsense? He wanted Moyes back but the rest didn't.

I spent a good part of an evening with Bill once, back in the '90s. I was at a performance of a rock musical at a small theatre, and Bill happened to come along to check it out for whether it would suit the West End (it didn't, but that's by the by). I was talking to him in the bar before the show, and then by a bizarre coincidence my seat was right next to him! He joked that they were keeping all of the Evertonians together, and we continued to get on well throughout the evening. I don't pretend to know all of the financial ins and outs of his tenure, and it is clear that he didn't have enough money to turn us around, but I will say left that night with a real sense of his genuine love for the club, and a strong respect for the man.

If it's all about money and trophies, then we might as well just give up what makes us different right now. The man has a deep and abiding lifelong love for the club, and I personally think there is something special about having a man like that in the chair. There's no doubt how important Abramovich has been for Chelsea, but it's no surprise that the man they really mourned was Matthew Harding. You can't buy that.

When Bill does go, I will wish him nothing but well. To give him abuse because he hasn't brought trophies just doesn't sit right with me. That's all.
Great post, very well said, respect to you. There’s obviously valid criticisms of his tenure but this is spot on. Have a like.

Status
Not open for further replies.