2019/20 Bill Kenwright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting thread. I don’t like him personally, haven’t took to him for a considerable time. He’s been on the board since the 90’s if I’m not mistaken (apologies if I’m wrong).

What really did it for me and it still goes on now, is there is a sort of shame tactic thing going on particularly since that infamous Blue Union where what was actually said in that meeting was put to one side and the prime focus was on how underhanded it was to record it or to note what was said then publish it.

I found that rather telling to be honest and the PR response that followed felt more like a character assassination on the lads at the meeting and those that supported them at the time. “One man and his dog” was the response by Sharpy and a few others at the response to a protest before the match against Aston Villa. The chairman received applause from fans during the match.

With that were the go to script type retorts such as “be careful what you wish for” Don’t want to be a Venkys” “Don’t want to be a Portsmouth, a Leeds” etc etc. Something I found a little disingenuous as no one wanted that, what they wanted was better than that set up, which they are entitled to hope for.

Anyway, he’s still here, still chairman and that’s the way it is. If you like him fair enough , when he leaves the role he will get his plaudits and if someone who replaces him is worse in the role, the plaudits will probably rise again. It is what it is I guess.

He's been on the board since 1989. That's 30 years. In that time we've gone from being the second most successful club in the history of English football to the fourth or fifth. And in that time we've won 1 trophy to Liverpool's 13. Meanwhile, the reds are about to expand their capacity to 61,000 while we're stuck at 39,000.

Apart from that he's done great.

Being from the other side of the world i obviously don't know what goes on behind the scenes on a day to day basis. However he's overseen a completely stagnant patch in the clubs history and we are still playing in an old outdated stadium (as much as i love goodison).

Just want him to step aside and not burden the club with any more mediocrity

Its inevertable after our neighbours performance last night that we will look at the huge gap between them and us but for Evertonians who are 35 and below we have to witness yet another day of kopites being smug and those other kopites who suddenly pipe up even though you didn't realise they were that arsed about footy telling us how crap we are and how boss they are

At least under bills stewardship I got to celebrate an FA cup win when I was 11

Hes a stain on the history of this club, bad decision after bad decision

We need to see some actual progress on this supposed new stadium, not another press release about how one person thinks the project could be worth up to 800 billion pound to the wider region, but some actual bloody progress.

Its inevertable after our neighbours performance last night that we will look at the huge gap between them and us but for Evertonians who are 35 and below we have to witness yet another day of kopites being smug and those other kopites who suddenly pipe up even though you didn't realise they were that arsed about footy telling us how crap we are and how boss they are

At least under bills stewardship I got to celebrate an FA cup win when I was 11

Hes a stain on the history of this club, bad decision after bad decision
35 and below sums it up, 3 generations now.

Bill has ruined this club and I doubt it ever be repaired

Yes, if it wasn’t for Bill Kenwright we’d be filling a 100k seater stadium and would’ve won the Champions League 10 years on the trot. Damn him.

Not got a clue have you mate?

The man held us back that’s a fact and nobody is claiming that but we would have more than an FA Cup final loss to reminisce about.

He's been on the board since 1989. That's 30 years. In that time we've gone from being the second most successful club in the history of English football to the fourth or fifth. And in that time we've won 1 trophy to Liverpool's 13. Meanwhile, the reds are about to expand their capacity to 61,000 while we're stuck at 39,000.

Apart from that he's done great.
To defend him (a bit) - that 30 years ago was shortly after a period of great success for the club. A lot of us had great hopes that it would be sustained and grow. The success and the wealth it attracts never came, because of the louts who live next door. The club, despite being a top club, was hard up. We'd been hard up for a while. We sold Lineker because we could do with the cash - he wasn't replaced. We eventually splashed good money on the likes of Tony Cottee, who at the time was one of the top strikers in the league, but that investment never brought the success or consequent wealth we needed.

Then you enter the period where Bill comes into a cash strapped club. What was he to do? A junior board member. Loads of clubs came and went, we stayed around - no magic money tree, but we've always been around in the league. He bought out the club as a blue when the fans were baying for the blood of Peter Johnson, a red, and we were happy. We were a big club in reputation only.

He's no messiah, he never had the money to buy the club outright or build on it, but he's kept an arthritic wheezing dog alive to give it a fighting chance when so many other clubs have had boom and bust with transient owners: Leeds, Portsmouth, QPR, Bolton, Blackburn etc.

Sure we expect better - just like fans of every other club, but things couldve been so much worse.

To defend him (a bit) - that 30 years ago was shortly after a period of great success for the club. A lot of us had great hopes that it would be sustained and grow. The success and the wealth it attracts never came, because of the louts who live next door. The club, despite being a top club, was hard up. We'd been hard up for a while. We sold Lineker because we could do with the cash - he wasn't replaced. We eventually splashed good money on the likes of Tony Cottee, who at the time was one of the top strikers in the league, but that investment never brought the success or consequent wealth we needed.

Then you enter the period where Bill comes into a cash strapped club. What was he to do? A junior board member. Loads of clubs came and went, we stayed around - no magic money tree, but we've always been around in the league. He bought out the club as a blue when the fans were baying for the blood of Peter Johnson, a red, and we were happy. We were a big club in reputation only.

He's no messiah, he never had the money to buy the club outright or build on it, but he's kept an arthritic wheezing dog alive to give it a fighting chance when so many other clubs have had boom and bust with transient owners: Leeds, Portsmouth, QPR, Bolton, Blackburn etc.

Sure we expect better - just like fans of every other club, but things couldve been so much worse.

Could have been Pompey couldn’t we mate? Oh that classic has returned.

We aren’t QPR, we aren’t Portsmouth we are Everton now start acting like it

Status
Not open for further replies.