Biggest 21st-century Disappointment?

your personal biggest 21st-century Disappointment?

• Walter signing has-beens like Gazza, Ginola, Hughes

• finishing the season with less than 40 points (03/04)

• Wayne leaving

• missing out on Champs League (weirdest luck with RS, Collina)

• 2009 cup final

• Fiorentina

• Arteta leaving

• Martinez's 2nd & 3rd seasons

• Kiev

• Lukaku leaving

• Ross leaving

• Koeman's Europa League embarrassment

• actually appointing Sam Allardyce

• Marco Silva (as if anyone remembers him)

• Moshiri

• stadium plans

• grandoldteam.com ditching KITT

• impossibly-bad derby record of last 20 years

• RS dominating media and winning cups

• something else (tell us)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cup final 2009 started bringing my 7 year old son with me the game season before his second year as season ticket holder we get the final wow I thought this is it well we know what happened felt like getting on the pitch that day just to give tony Hibbert a hand so sad after seeing us beat the mancs in the semi

Fiorentina for me. We had a solid side and played as well second leg. How we didn't go through I don't know.

This. And always will be.

Reason being we were by far the best team in the tournement. Yet we went to Fiorentina with no gameplan and let them fire pot shots from distance, and they scored 2. That away leg performance was criminal given the players we had.

We absolutely battered them at Goodison. Could have been 7 or 8 nil easily. Instead we lost on pens.

Rangers and an Arshavin inspired Zenit played the final.

I honestly think we would have won the whole thing had we won that penalty shoot out. But it was lost in Italy with cowardly tactics.

Other moments have been more painful (Collina the **** and the cup final loss).
But that Europa League was in our own hands and no one should have stopped us that season.

Allardyce for sure. A part of me died when that was announced.

Missing the CL, losing cup finals, derbies etc. - that's football. You compete and win some, lose some, sometimes with horrendous luck.

But appointing that mess was akin to waving the white flag and surrendering. Appointing Ancelotti has gone some way to repairing the damage, but for me I started selling tickets on StubHub and not wanting to go the game since that tosser was appointed Everton manager.

For me, it was the indifference of the Moores family after John Moores passed away. We lost our identity as a a big club. The ambition had gone and we slumped into mediocrity.

I can't remember when they finally relinquished their ties, and we have of course had the success of the mid-eighties, but we have never been the same in my lifetime in terms of truly being one of the top clubs. I have high hopes of Mr. Moshiri, and hopefully Big Alisher, but it will be a long haul.

Sorry, have just re-read the thread-title, so ignore my stupidity, but really the disappointments of this century pale into insignificance and are a direct result of the loss of our biggest and boldest patron.

Last edited:

This. And always will be.

Reason being we were by far the best team in the tournement. Yet we went to Fiorentina with no gameplan and let them fire pot shots from distance, and they scored 2. That away leg performance was criminal given the players we had.

We absolutely battered them at Goodison. Could have been 7 or 8 nil easily. Instead we lost on pens.

Rangers and an Arshavin inspired Zenit played the final.

I honestly think we would have won the whole thing had we won that penalty shoot out. But it was lost in Italy with cowardly tactics.

Other moments have been more painful (Collina the **** and the cup final loss).
But that Europa League was in our own hands and no one should have stopped us that season.
Aye. I really thought that trophy was ours. Moyes' arse dropped out first leg and that was it. But back at Goodison to be that dominant and play well but still not prosper felt sickening.

Fiorentina one was bad we absolutely hammered them at home

it’s weird though because we have seen Liverpool do that type of performance year in and year out in Europe losing away from home and then using the anfield crowd to overturn the result. I mean they did it against barca in the semi final last year with a 3-0 deficit. Imagine if Liverpool had pulled it back to 3-3 and lost on pens.

Remembering that we lost this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.