2023/24 Beto

I want him to do well but I’ve never seen an Everton striker with such poor technique. And we had some bad ones, obviously.

Other than being strong and fast, it’s really difficult to see how he’s going to make any sort of impact.

I think he’s going to grow into it, I think in a weird way he isn’t self aware of the natural traits and instincts he can lean into and trying to hard to adapt.

That goal Vs Newcastle was the first time I think I saw him not over think it and play on instinct, if he’s capable of that…..

scooby_brett.jpg

I think he’s going to grow into it, I think in a weird way he isn’t self aware of the natural traits and instincts he can lean into and trying to hard to adapt.

That goal Vs Newcastle was the first time I think I saw him not over think it and play on instinct, if he’s capable of that…..
I think from the first game we've seen (Doncaster away) he snatches at 90% of things that come his way.

If you remember his debut against Sheffield Utd, made a great bursting run through the middle in the 1st minute of the 2nd half and for whatever reason just spooned it wide when just a bit of composure was needed.

He's certainly got himself into good positions but his composure is pretty much non existent. That's an important trait for a striker.

If you said the same about Chermitti id buy into that.

This guy is 26. It would be odd if he improves his technique at this age. He’s also 6’4” and can’t head the ball, it’s tough to see what type of player he is in the PL.

Even that newcastle goal he looked uncomfortable running in on goal. A new born calf trying to stand up is the most accurate description ive seen on him
We can only hope things improve.

I think from the first game we've seen (Doncaster away) he snatches at 90% of things that come his way.

If you remember his debut against Sheffiekd Utd, made a great bursting run through the middle in the 1st minite of the 2nd half and fir whatever reason just spooned it wide when just a bit if composure was needed.

He's certainly git himself into good positions but his composure is pretty much non existent. That's an important trait for a striker.

Your right mate, when you think about the goal against Newcastle was tougher then any other - but it also happened when we were two up with no pressure and expectation, that indicates it’s psychological.

That can be resolved, I remember saying years ago when he went mad after the WC in 18, that Pickford needed to work with a psychologist as he was over thinking it, wasn’t handling the expectation and profile and his head was too busy, he did and look at him now. It happens.

Last edited:

One or both those chances at the death tonight get buried by a striker with instinct, I reckon. Maybe the first one came at him a bit quick and he couldn't get over the ball quick enough, but maybe I am being kind? I think the 2nd one needed composure, but tbf I've not had a good look at that.

I feel sorry for him he’s obviously trying. You can get away with missing some sitters if the rest of your play is good and you can get away with looking like Bambi on ice if you do the business when a chance comes your way but you can’t struggle with the basics and miss sitters and expect to get picked more often.

If you said the same about Chermitti id buy into that.

This guy is 26. It would be odd if he improves his technique at this age. He’s also 6’4” and can’t head the ball, it’s tough to see what type of player he is in the PL.

I actually reckon Chermitti might be our best finisher, backing that lad facing goal.

He is still adapting...hopefully next season he comes good. If not get rid. Same as DCL currently being mollycoddled. How long before we can say he is totally fit so he can start scoring again?

Your right mate, when you think about the goal against Newcastle was tougher then any other - but it also happened when we were two up with no pressure and expectation, that indicates it’s psychological.

That can be resolved, I remember saying years ago when he went mad after the WC in 18, that Pickford needed to work with a psychologist as he was over thinking in it and his head was too busy, he did and look at him now.

Honestly mate (and I likes certain parts of what I seen against Sheffiled Utd) I just don't think he's a very good footballer. We're nearly in Feb, we have our main striker just going into his 16th game without a goal and his back up striker cant displace him because he's got so many weaknesses to his game that he's not good enough to replace a striker who cant score.

If we'd got him on loan (like a Straq) or paid 500k (a Marcus Bent) then you'd say "hey fair enough he's about what we deserve" in 4 months time we'll have to start paying part of that 25m fee on a player that if we had him to for sale right now, we'd get about 3m for.

It's not good enough and we haven't got time to say "give him time he'll come good".

We're currently fighting for our very existence and it doesn't help when your forwards can't slot chances from 2-3 yards and it's costing us points time and time again

He’s 26 with plenty of games under his belt I think what you see is what you’re going to get with him I think we can work on polishing some of the rough edges but he’s not going to become a different player at this stage he is what he is.

Honestly mate (and I likes certain parts of what I seen against Sheffiled Utd) I just don't think he's a very good footballer. We're nearly in Feb, we have our main striker just going into his 16th game without a goal and his back up striker cant displace him because he's got so many weaknesses to his game that he's not good enough to replace a striker who cant score.

If we'd got him on loan (like a Straq) or paid 500k (a Marcus Bent) then you'd say "hey fair enough he's about what we deserve" in 4 months time we'll have to start paying part of that 25m fee on a player that if we had him to for sale right now, we'd get about 3m for.

It's not good enough and we haven't got time to say "give him time he'll come good".

We're currently fighting for our very existence and it doesn't help when your forwards can't slot chances from 2-3 yards and it's costing us points time and time again

Again all true, bar I think the rip cord pull on Beto - still think more to come myself, for the reasons outlined.

We do inhabit a weird twilight zone, were we are fighting for our lives, but in reality should be about 12th and a couple of wins from safety. It’s not the case - but that’s the reality we need to remind ourselves off we’re a team who has 28 points earned in Jan, so I’m not overly pessimistic, despite our current boney arsed depth.

Who knows, both Beto and Chermitti could be part of the build, bought with the intention to contribute something now, but also space to adapt, maybe that’s our market, maybe that’s our build process. Look at lads like Onana, Myko and Branthwaite and how they have adapted in 12 months.

Depending if you want to put your money or red or black, he is now an investment and we have to nurture him as such and help him grow and adapt.

Elsewise, I think Dyche system, makes low % chances for strikers, I don’t see strikers getting more then 10 under him in a good year, I think he sees strikers as enablers as much as goal scorers, which is why I think we have seen an uptake in goal scoring from midfield since he’s come in notably the Duke and McNeill, even Harrison has a few.

Last edited: