2023/24 Beto

Some very premature opinions on Beto here. Some players need longer than others to settle in to a new league.

I think writing a player off very early is a popular thing to do these days. He's nowhere near in the Maupay or Rondon category yet some are trying to throw him in to that.

When did either of them score a goal like he did vs Newcastle? Also, if you compare him to someone like Klaassen, again he's done far more than he did in the short time he's been here.

I think he will be a useful player in the coming seasons.

I do not think Beto is as good as DCL.

Beto is much more of a play it in behind than a "play it into my feet" hold up man. He is also not good at directing the football with his head in the air despite his stature and strength.

All that said, when DCL is knackered and we are chasing a goal, I feel Beto is a good option coming on from the bench, particularly away from home. If he were any better than he is, we would not have been able to sign him to compete with DCL, as he would be the main man elsewhere or depth on a more talented squad.

Not a targetman is he like DCL. You need to play him off the shoulder of the last defender and put the ball into the channels. Great to bring on late in the game, so he can use his pace and strength against a tiring defence.