Best players you have played with who never made it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same with football.... from what I understand it’s not predominantly what you do with the ball that scouts look for. It’s positional sense, awareness, communication, decision making, work ethic.... plus many other things. Obvs that raw talent has to be there somewhere but players who can naturally do the things without the bell catch your eye at times. Think it was Bobby Robson who said the only thing separating a top amateur from a pro was the ability to always choose the right option...decision making.

Or in the case of acadamies for absolutely years: are you 2ft taller than everyone else your age.

Played with and against Scott Dann. Played against Chris Dagnall in mess about games in school. Played against Barlow in a charity match who was superb. Also played against them Thai kids that won that tournament for Chang

My brother was on Everton's books back in West's time but due to girl friend problems missed too many training sessions and was released but he was a damn good goalkeeper. Went on to play for Burscough.

I won't mention his name for reasons not concerning football, however I was at school with a lad who I believe in all sincerity would have been a top level player.

Nevertheless, it simply wasn't something he was interested in, so shunned the interest in him from numerous clubs,as he'd rather drank beer, smoked and had fun.

On the pitch he was a pleasure to watch because of his skill, composure and decision making. He was overweight but ran every game and helped everyone else.

There were lads who were at Liverpool, Everton, Tranmere and Man U at the time (some went on to be pro) and he was cut above them - caused a lot of jealousy.

Our PE teacher was the captain of a local conference team and played in the same position; in games against him, the lad simply showed him up every time.

He had all the tricks and flair but more often than not he shone because he played a simple game with the right tackle, pass or goal that made the difference.

A great person in general as well who has been very successful in his own career, and quite openly explains that he doesn't regret his decision at all.

Same with football.... from what I understand it’s not predominantly what you do with the ball that scouts look for. It’s positional sense, awareness, communication, decision making, work ethic.... plus many other things. Obvs that raw talent has to be there somewhere but players who can naturally do the things without the bell catch your eye at times. Think it was Bobby Robson who said the only thing separating a top amateur from a pro was the ability to always choose the right option...decision making.
Which is where mr Barkley failed on so so many occasions

Leslie Grant.His Dad Jackie played in the same Everton team as Catterick.His brother David played in the Youth Cup winning side.Les was probably better than both of them,a real natural.We went to the same Liverpool Boys intake as Ronnie Goodlass,but Saunders was possibly the most boring man to ever be involved in the game,Les got bored with the continual "you three go over there and practice trap and pass", and stopped going.

Played with a guy at Stony Stratford Town called Paul Sloley, unbelievable pace and scored 40 a season every season. We played away at London Colney and rumours were that he was offered trials at Arsenal but turned them down. Thing he he wasnt that interested in football.
I became manager of a team around 2006 and told everyone that I had pulled off a huge signing in Paul Sloley, despite being 32, I got him to sign and first few games in he was terrible, then he left and retired.

Jimmy Ryan?

No , James Francis Ryan
didn't really know him he played in a 5 a side game as was a part of about 10 years ago,, he only played sproadically,, when he played he basically toyed with us was leagues ahead of everyone
Said jimmy Ryan because there's a chance someone would recognise the name.

Thankfully academies have cottoned on now.

Yeah when you see little Xavi, Messi and Iniesta running rings around grocks it kind of makes a mockery of it.

Wonder how many good young ball players got overlooked for the likes Anichebe?

I think the penny is finally starting to drop for England though.

Status
Not open for further replies.