Best Everton Right/Left Back Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunderland away was his fault. The own goals vs qpr and liverpool. Cisse at newcastle.

There was a few more but it's been a while.

Mistakes per minutes he's probably ahead of all of them but he played every game and he got caught out a fair few times.

Still our best player, mind.

I'd agree with the QPR and Liverpool ones. Sunderland was a mistake but he lost it in the middle of the park. Usually comes to nothing and we had more than enough of a chance to defend that. Don't really remember the QPR one having anything to do with him, what was it?

EDIT: if the QPR one's that deflection from a Hoilett shot then it's very harsh.

Stevens and Van Den Hauwe were the best fullback pair in the first division for a couple of years. Baines and Coleman will be the best fullback pair in the prem very soon, for a couple of years. But it's very difficult to compare the two pairs because the nature of the fullback's duties has changed so much in the 28 or so years in between!

As for the rest of the Prem, I will give credit to Chelsea's Ivanovic / Cole combo, even though I despise Cole's reported attitude.

Yes its like saying Bernie Wright was our best forward ever!

Believe me! EB wasn't the rampaging RB like Coleman, but he never ever got beaten one on one. Defensively, I have never seen a better defensive RB in my time watching Everton - I was just too young for Gary Stevens.

Royle played him CM a few times...that was a mistake

Believe me! EB wasn't the rampaging RB like Coleman, but he never ever got beaten one on one. Defensively, I have never seen a better defensive RB in my time watching Everton - I was just too young for Gary Stevens.

Royle played him CM a few times...that was a mistake

...I can't be having EB, but if memory serves me right Ryan Giggs says he was his most difficult opponent. Thinking about it, not sure if they actually played in the same era so I might be wide of the mark on that one.

If we had a thread for worst full backs there would be many candidates.

Earl Barret, Neil McDonald, John Clelland spring to mind.....and my own personal choice as the worst full back I have seen at EFC......Ray Atteveld.

Earl Barret, Neil McDonald, John Clelland spring to mind.....and my own personal choice as the worst full back I have seen at EFC......Ray Atteveld.

....but he was popular with the ladies when he stripped down to his grundies on the last day of the season.

You're just being provocative with earl Barrett. What about Tony Thomas, Mitch Ward, John O'Kane, David Burrows, Marc Hottiger....

Keith Newton was a high transfer England international signed as full back for us in the early 1970's - never liked him he was an expensive waste of time, he was past his best when he signed for us I think from Blackburn?

Not as big a waste of space as Henry - glass knees -Newton, were we ever conned on that one

You're just being provocative with earl Barrett. What about Tony Thomas, Mitch Ward, John O'Kane, David Burrows, Marc Hottiger....

I seen him a few times he was sold to Coventry where he did well when they were in the o9ld first division with us I was ok with him not the worst full back I have seen in a blue shirt!

George Thompson who came to us with the Golden Vision was a poor full back according to my older brother I think the were cousins John Carey signed the pair of them ?

I've only been watching since 04-05 so I don't know if there is anybody who excelled at the position in our glory days. However I will say that you could make the case that Lescott was a better LB than Baines.

Yes he was unorthodox but it worked great. Squads really didn't know who to deal with him because he was so different than the avg. wingback. He had the pace to keep up with pacy wingers and used his physically to just rub them right out of play. You go back and watch games in which he played LB you'll noticed that even the best teams in the prem just abandonded trying to create down Lescott's left flank. Defensively he was one of the best players at the position I ever saw. Plus he scored goals regularly. Attacking-wise was he Baines, hell no he couldn't cross from outside the box but it was OK because he usually was able to strength and get to the touchline and put a nice low cross in for Yak, AJ etc to pounce on. There was a reason why Baines ended up sitting his 1st couple of years. Lescott was that good at the position.

Lescott was very good, yet a bit overrated as a CB. As a left back though, at the time IMO he was one of the 2-3 best in the prem.

Status
Not open for further replies.