2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you're judging one player on what you've seen, and judging another on what you haven't seen based purely on what team they (don't) play regularly for and saying one is better than the other.
I don't think Lookman is that good.

I do think we should have found out for sure.

We've found out for sure that Bernard isn't. We just aren't honest about it.

I don't think Lookman is that good.

I do think we should have found out for sure.

We've found out for sure that Bernard isn't. We just aren't honest about it.

So you'd give Lookman a free ride to see how well he would do....but dismiss a player who had a solid first season in a new league and a disruptive 2nd season (2 managers, injuries) as being not good enough?

So you'd give Lookman a free ride to see how well he would do....but dismiss a player who had a solid first season in a new league and a disruptive 2nd season (2 managers, injuries) as being not good enough?
He only had a solid first season if we are moving the goalposts away from competing in Europe. I know no one agrees with that but look around at the LWs of teams we would like to compete with. Mane, Sterling, Aubameyang, Son, Jota, Rashford, Bernard. Who doesn't belong?

It's not really a free ride so much as a test drive. Get him out there and see what he can do before you make any drastic decision.

Again I'm really not sure Lookman is actually any good. But my feeling is that given how last year went there is no excuse for that even being a question. We should know one way or another.

I think we are a better team with Bernard in the side, but for whatever reason Silva and Carlo have been reluctant to pick him on a regular basis. Could possibly see him being moved on in the summer if a decent offer was made for him.

David Silva says hello.

D Silva might just be the most under rated player in premier league history. 18 months ago I said Son was (with Silva a close second) but now think fans/media are giving him his just plaudits and a lot of Spurs fans put him in their top 3 most important players now alongside LoCelso and Kane.

He only had a solid first season if we are moving the goalposts away from competing in Europe. I know no one agrees with that but look around at the LWs of teams we would like to compete with. Mane, Sterling, Aubameyang, Son, Jota, Rashford, Bernard. Who doesn't belong?

It's not really a free ride so much as a test drive. Get him out there and see what he can do before you make any drastic decision.

Again I'm really not sure Lookman is actually any good. But my feeling is that given how last year went there is no excuse for that even being a question. We should know one way or another.

We weren't expected to compete for Europe cos we had a new manager on a rebuild job. Anyone who thought we'd be 5th or 6th needed their heads testing. We finished where we should've finished, 8th, 3 points from being outside the "top 6".

And you haven't named a load of Left Wingers/Midfielders, you've named strikers who play in a front 3, 2 or on their own. Richarlison is a better comparison.

Bernard has played 19 games this season (14 starts). Scored the most out of our midfield and is our 3rd highest scorer with a mighty 3.

Again, he's not the problem. He's one of a handful of players in our team I'd genuinely call a footballer.

We weren't expected to compete for Europe cos we had a new manager on a rebuild job. Anyone who thought we'd be 5th or 6th needed their heads testing. We finished where we should've finished, 8th, 3 points from being outside the "top 6".

And you haven't named a load of Left Wingers/Midfielders, you've named strikers who play in a front 3, 2 or on their own. Richarlison is a better comparison.

Bernard has played 19 games this season (14 starts). Scored the most out of our midfield and is our 3rd highest scorer with a mighty 3.

Again, he's not the problem. He's one of a handful of players in our team I'd genuinely call a footballer.
So we weren't supposed to make Europe last year. What about this one?

I just can't see a scenario where we get to what I perceive as where we want to be while employing a bunch of wingers who can't even be 1 in 3 players. Which is why I would give every plausible option on the wing a chance to prove they can or can't do it. In a way I'm glad a tried it with Gylfi even though I never expected it to work. Because now we 100% know it doesn't.

So we weren't supposed to make Europe last year. What about this one?

I just can't see a scenario where we get to what I perceive as where we want to be while employing a bunch of wingers who can't even be 1 in 3 players. Which is why I would give every plausible option on the wing a chance to prove they can or can't do it. In a way I'm glad a tried it with Gylfi even though I never expected it to work. Because now we 100% know it doesn't.

This one, yes. But it went tits up.

We knew Gylfi can't play out their under Koeman.

Just on this. David Silva is short, but he isn’t as short or weak as Bernard. Googles telling me he’s 13cm taller and 7kg heavier. That’s a big difference. I’d like to know if anyone can find a successful player in the prem as short or light as him. He’s literally blown over by the wind. If he had David Silva’s ability it wouldn’t matter as much but trust me, David Silva would not be as good if he was 7kg lighter.....
Add that to a guy who’s played about 5 decent games for us, maybe one against Liverpool, Leicester away (when they were mid table) and some home games against lesser opposition, in 2 years, then I’m not seeing someone who will be a success. He’s 27 and not playing regular football in a very poor side. In Carlo we trust is a phrase used a lot, and it’s obvious he doesn’t fancy him.

Just on this. David Silva is short, but he isn’t as short or weak as Bernard. Googles telling me he’s 13cm taller and 7kg heavier. That’s a big difference. I’d like to know if anyone can find a successful player in the prem as short or light as him. He’s literally blown over by the wind. If he had David Silva’s ability it wouldn’t matter as much but trust me, David Silva would not be as good if he was 7kg lighter.....
Add that to a guy who’s played about 5 decent games for us, maybe one against Liverpool, Leicester away (when they were mid table) and some home games against lesser opposition, in 2 years, then I’m not seeing someone who will be a success. He’s 27 and not playing regular football in a very poor side. In Carlo we trust is a phrase used a lot, and it’s obvious he doesn’t fancy him.
He's also just not as good. Silva's understanding of the game and ability to play a step ahead of anyone made his lack of size and speed meaningless. Bernard isn't an unintelligent player, but very few players are David Silva, and very few can make it with that level of physicality in England as a result.

I think Ryan Fraser is shorter than Bernard, not in the Silva class but a decent player.

I'd be starting him left wing for the foreseeable, but based on the fact we need other positions id be disappointed if he was starting games in 18 months time.

Status
Not open for further replies.