2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are an outstanding athlete with championship level skills you can make a living at prem level.
If you are a non-athlete with skills sometimes on a par with the Prem you are a big liability.
The first one describes Michael Antonio pretty well. Not sure why but he's the one that popped into my head.

That's two straight away starts he's been binned off at halftime.
Does seem odd that Carlo clearly didn’t trust him in away games despite having impact on home games.
Then away to against a young dynamic/in form team he plays him in a desperately weak midfield.
Seems very odd. I would have bet big odds on he wouldn’t start today, can’t began to think of his reasoning.

Does seem odd that Carlo clearly didn’t trust him in away games despite having impact on home games.
Then away to against a young dynamic/in form team he plays him in a desperately weak midfield.
Seems very odd. I would have bet big odds on he wouldn’t start today, can’t began to think of his reasoning.
I'll still argue that his best home performance for most people, the Newcastle game that we blew in the end, was actually a pretty poor showing given the acres of space and eons of time he got in really great areas. That pass for Kean's goal was his one quality moment from that spot in about 10 tries. A top player would rip a team apart if they found themselves where he did that often.

Which ultimately is what my issue with him is. Far too many times the moments of brilliance that he can produce don't come. And when he's a bit off his size and physicality level make him a complete disaster.

I’m not into quoting myself but as I’ve posted prior to today in another thread.....as much as I like watching him, he’ll do well to survive the cull. I thought I’d throw it in here where it belongs.

I’m not sure how you’ve got Bernard down as a guaranteed starter.

If you’re a manager looking to win football games he’s not doing enough to influence them right now and his numbers really need to improve. His attacking stats have always been quite poor and defensively, well, he’s just too weak and small to make a difference in this league.

I love the lad, I could watch him all day, he’s easy on the eye but unless we go for a very workman like centre midfield I don’t see him being a first choice.

Add in his massive wage, the fact we signed him on a free (making any transfer a profit on the books) and that he still struggling to even get a start now, before Carlo’s brought any of his own men in then I wouldn’t be surprised if we moved him in this summer if we got a good bid.

If he was sold, he’d really help to make things easier regarding FFP.

I’m not into quoting myself but as I’ve posted prior to today in another thread.....as much as I like watching him, he’ll do well to survive the cull. I thought I’d throw it in here where it belongs.
Honestly his potential FFP value is something we really need to look at. Are we sure we can't get the same level of performance from say Gordon, Iwobi, Walcott and a new signing that we could get if we kept Bernard and sold Walcott or sent Gordon on loan? I'd say it is one that could go either way, meaning if the bid comes and we really do need money the sale should be made.

I think brands has just added to out list of “unmovables” by giving this guy ridonculous wages for his output....
He’s a right footed left mid, attacker, or central attacker to some. How just shifting a bit to the right gives him an excuse I don’t know. Sig doesn’t get the same treatment....

It was a disaster to start 442 today. Absolutely no pace or strengh or quile in midfield. Bernard only option is as a 10 and a free role. But I think he's doomed.

I'd get him out. I like him as a footballer, but not for us in this division. I'm actually extremely disappointed by the impact he's had in two seasons. Hopefully we can get a decent fee for him if Carlo decides to sell.

Him and kenny could easily fetch around £20-25 million FFP profit between them.

I could live with that.
If we genuinely are needing to pay particular attention to FFP then you're right that those two are the ones we can make big profits on for the books. £0 paid for the pair, and I think we could get up to £30m in sales for them, mad as that sounds.

Kenny has established himself as a starting Bundesliga defender for a decent team, Bernard has a good name within football. Get 'um gone.

Reckon anybody is soft enough to pay us 30m for DCL?

If we genuinely are needing to pay particular attention to FFP then you're right that those two are the ones we can make big profits on for the books. £0 paid for the pair, and I think we could get up to £30m in sales for them, mad as that sounds.

Kenny has established himself as a starting Bundesliga defender for a decent team, Bernard has a good name within football. Get 'um gone.
We do need to eventually be FFP compliant, but since we almost certainly aren't making Europe this season it can wait. That doesn't mean we should fall (further?) behind, but it isn't the end of the world if this summer we spend some and end up over the mark.

If we do sell Kenny and/or Bernard they'll need replacing. I think everyone can agree Sidibe shouldn't be back, so something has to happen there or we're in real trouble. Bernard going depends on if Gordon is ready to step in as a replacement. I can see it, but if they don't do that then we will need two new wingers instead of just one further increasing what we need to spend.

Too slow. I like his skill on the ball but ultimately if he can’t get away from anyone because he has no pace then his skill is irrelevant. Should either build a team to make up for his weaknesses and showcase his strength or sell him. Playing a player that slow on the wing whilst Siggurdson and Davies are also in midfield leaves you open to the 4-0 walloping we got today.

He’s not good enough to be on 100k+. Really only 1 of our players is. The problem is we have about 4 that contribute almost nothing to the team and we have almost no chance of shifting them. The state of our squad is abysmal. Sandro Sigurdsson Schneiderlin and Bernard are all being paid 2x more than they’re worth at their best (Sandro 100x)

Status
Not open for further replies.