Confirmed Signing Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the quality and imagination of the signings. Players approaching or in their prime.

The expectation for me would have been Welbeck and Rojo, possibly Sissoko from Spurs and a random loan. You know, standard Everton "signing Williams and Bolasie" type of window.

So you can see the difference in the business we have done to that expectation.

They’re just standard Koeman and Walsh signings. I always felt we’d be going after more quality players with Brands and Silva in charge.

It's the quality and imagination of the signings. Players approaching or in their prime.

The expectation for me would have been Welbeck and Rojo, possibly Sissoko from Spurs and a random loan. You know, standard Everton "signing Williams and Bolasie" type of window.

as in, reaching out beyond prem. league

methinks brandolf shows ambition, which is a much needed change

He'll get crocked in his first training session, we'll then spend the next 3 years bigging him up, only for him to return back home having never played....

Glass half empty, me.

Genuine question though, why would you have thought that was fantasy? I'd be quite pleased with those ins, but none of them would have seemed particularly unlikely at the end of last season would they? There's nobody on that list would have fans of other teams going 'how the hell have Everton got him?'. A player on loan who was relegated with Stoke last year, another who was a terrible flop, one most of us had never heard of etc.

Similarly with the outs, it's not exactly surprising that we've managed to get somebody to loan a player who we spent £12m on 2 years ago and still captains his country, offloaded (for free) last seasons top scorer and England's all time leading scorer, loaned out some kids like we always do, and raised £22m on Dutch and Argentine internationals in their mid 20s.

That's genuinely not meant as a negative summary, I just think the business we've done/are linked with is fairly standard, not really hugely different to what most people would have envisaged (in terms of numbers/fees if not the actual players involved).

Had we appointed Fonseca, Bernard wouldn't have been a shock but we didn't and we hadn't been linked with him so it's definitely a shock.

Yeah that's a fair point, but for me personally I would have been unbelievably disappointed had Brands just followed the same sort of model as Walsh.

Again, i'm honestly pleased with what we've done so far (assuming at least one centre half comes in too), I just don't think the quality of player we've signed or the fact we've got rid of some squad players is a huge surprise. It's the type of business I would describe as 'good' or 'solid' rather than thinking it was a 'fantasy'.

Status
Not open for further replies.