Bernard is a 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only person left who thinks referring to positions using a number that was perhaps relevant 40 years ago when everyone played a 442 but doesn't really reflect any position in modern football is a bit silly, tiresome and ultimately displays a complete lack of knowledge about football?

For me creativity whether crosses or passes or whatever is all the same. Gylfi unfortunately isn't giving us enough beside set plays. That's why I've been saying he's a second striker and not a midfielder. We need Iwobi to come through

But he does when we get the ball into him in dangerous positions - more often than not.

He's not gonna run back 30 yards, pick up possession and drive with it and make it all happen himself. On the counter he can, but that's because he's sprinting into space (see that Brighton goal last year for a prime example).

He can drop back and make stuff happen from midfield, but the whole team would need to push up so he has options ahead of him. See his goal v Leicester where he was able to play deeper as they had 11 men and we had pushed the team forward - space had opened up and he exploited it.

Iwobi could well allows us to play with the new type of 10, which is pretty much a ball-carrier.

However, Silva has already said he's probably gonna play left. And the reason for that is most likely down to:

a) Gylfi's pressing means he's ideal for Silva's system in that second striker hole
b) Gylfi is one of our only players who has a record of putting the ball in the net on a consistent basis - which, y'know, wins games

Am I the only person left who thinks referring to positions using a number that was perhaps relevant 40 years ago when everyone played a 442 but doesn't really reflect any position in modern football is a bit silly, tiresome and ultimately displays a complete lack of knowledge about football?

Hmm, tbf it's not wrong.

It's just the idea of a 10 from 2008-2012/14 (i.e when that Spain team dominated up until Germany's WC win) is completely different to what a '10' is now.

The best teams in the world mostly play a 4-3-3. They have front lines with pace and midfielders with tenacity who can all do a bit of everything, usually with one who sits deep as an anchor. It's all based around counter-attacking play and - in City's case - possession and high press, but not like Pep's Barca.

I think people still see a No.10 like they did 8 years ago. They automatically think of a player like David Silva or Juan Mata - a diminutive playmaker who tied it all together.

Fact is, those players are hardly used in that central role 'in the pocket' anymore.

Bernard would get swamped in the middle. He's not physical enough. He's nimble and quick-footed and yes, at times could play there, but he doesn't offer a goal threat and is at his best being able to drift in.

We don't play with a 10 anyway because our most reliable goalscoring midfielder has to play (at least in Silva's mind), and he's pushed up as a split striker so we can press high.

@Tubey touched on it but Gana's sale has left a hole to fill in this regard too. With Gana there, Gomes was given free reign to push on and plug the gap. But also, even when Gomes wasn't fit, Gana had the energy and pace to push on into that gap and link up, but also get back into position within seconds. We don't have that at the moment, although I feel Delph can at least offer that energy when he comes back. Davies has the energy, but whether he has the nous is in question.

But he does when we get the ball into him in dangerous positions - more often than not.

He's not gonna run back 30 yards, pick up possession and drive with it and make it all happen himself. On the counter he can, but that's because he's sprinting into space (see that Brighton goal last year for a prime example).

He can drop back and make stuff happen from midfield, but the whole team would need to push up so he has options ahead of him. See his goal v Leicester where he was able to play deeper as they had 11 men and we had pushed the team forward - space had opened up and he exploited it.

Iwobi could well allows us to play with the new type of 10, which is pretty much a ball-carrier.

However, Silva has already said he's probably gonna play left. And the reason for that is most likely down to:

a) Gylfi's pressing means he's ideal for Silva's system in that second striker hole
b) Gylfi is one of our only players who has a record of putting the ball in the net on a consistent basis - which, y'know, wins games
I admire you taking the game to the anti-Gylfi brigade mate but it's to be for nothing.
Some have an agenda. It's as simple as that.
The only grief of Gylfi I like is that from @nsno-chris because it's humorous and he sends me private messages on MySpace telling me he loves him really.

I admire you taking the game to the anti-Gylfi brigade mate but it's to be for nothing.
Some have an agenda. It's as simple as that.
The only grief of Gylfi I like is that from @nsno-chris because it's humorous and he sends me private messages on MySpace telling me he loves him really.

Tbf, I don't think they're giving him grief in this instance. It is a valid point to make and we may well soon get to the stage where we have to go in a different direction with a different system.

But the facts are we don't have those players at the moment and also Gylfi offers a lot to us with his pressing. I don't think people realise how important he can be in that regard.

He had an off-day the other day and the team suffered. Not because he runs the show, but because he missed a good chance he should have put away and he also didn't get into the positions on the edge of the box to any effect. He was also crowded out by a deep-sitting Palace defence and, like last season, we lacked the cutting edge to break them down (which is as much on the rest of the team as Gylfi.)

We desperately need Gomes fit or we lose pretty much any creative spark from midfield, especially without Delph who has more than enough nous, experience and quality to be able to thread some decent passes into the front line, as well as support them.

Bernard is tipical winger, no chance he should be a 10.. Iwobi is actually natural 10, so could see him playing there rather than Bernard

B is the reason we should not drop him or even be considering it yet. But it isn't all on the players behind him that he isn't getting the ball enough. You say he can be dangerous when he does get it but getting it is an much a skill as what comes after. His lack of touches is a problem.

But b, as long as it is happening, makes up for it.

Where is this Iwobi as a ten coming from?

Honest question as not sure I recall seeing him ever play there. Always seen him wide I think

Lack of other options? General desperation for some flair from somewhere on the pitch I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.