2023/24 Ben Godfrey

Another good performance and he's a great player to have around the squad - he might have his limitations but commitment is always top level and he can play across the back 4 and in DM if needs be to an acceptable degree for a cover.

He's had some very memorable games/moments for us too - was very good at CB under Carlo and had a great assist to DCL; the Haaland moments; the "eff off" meme that went around after it, etc.

Seems like a decent fella with a good attitude, and to be fair to him he played pretty well in the last 2 games. That said, for me he isn't good enough on the ball to be a full back at this level, and his poor reading of the game and lack of aerial dominance make him ill suited to being a Centre half at this level.

We have to try and move him on this summer, I'll be wishing him well wherever he goes as he does seem like a good guy to have around.

He's not going anywhere. Extremely versatile, and there's a very good chance we'll simply have to sell Branthwaite if a bidding war for him starts, as much as I'd hate that. Strong chance of Godfrey-Tarkowski being our starting CB pair next season.

IMG_8787.jpeg

Saturday was the first time I've seen him run past his winger/teammate and be the furthest forward

I don't know if that's him with the shackles off, confidence, tactics or desperation to show he can still cut it at this level, but it made a refreshing change.

He actually put in 2-3 really fldangerous deliveries as well.

Reminds me a bit of Hibbert when he first broke through where he's very limited technically but Hibbert put in the hard yards on the training ground and started to improve and put in some good crosses. If Godfrey can add crossing to his game and consistently put in good deliveries then that could be a good option on the right.

He is still a liability. In the derby, about 4 of our players had to keep telling him to stay in position. When he's right back, he drifts into the middle leaving us exposed.

If he's anything more than a squad player next season, I'd be concerned.

He is slowly getting used to the right back position. He is quite fast but the fact that he has the body of a rugby player makes it a bit hard for him to take on players and cross the ball. His crossing has really improved. If Jarrad leaves, he and tarki would be really good, he proved us his capabilities under don carlo. It seems that he has a great personalit and his wages are not that bad imo

When he first started playing as a full back he would regularly go on long charging runs up the pitch but this season I think the manager realised that if we were to survive we had to become defensively solid and because of this he curtailed the roles of both full backs into largely defensive roles.

Ben Godfrey is English, at a good age and would certainly do a good job for a lot of teams.
He is a player that could attract interest from clubs , would probably be open to a move as he is far from a regular at Everton and his sale would certainly help our PSR situation.