2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus lads, Ben Godfrey ain't the problem. Sure he has things to work on and improve, but he's a kid FFS - he's gonna make mistakes.

He's has covid, which he still don't look quite right from, and was doing fine for us under Ancelotti.

It's the crappy defensive partner he's with and the managers god-awful defensive system were deploying.

Fair dos tho, let's turn on him and hound him out the club,like we do with nearly every other decent young player we have had?!

Is sooner have a go at the three other senior pros in our back 4 and our manager yesterday, and the shocking performance they served up.

He's 24 in a few months.
Mid twenties.
I dont think he can fall back on that one.

Irrespective of blaming his form on Keane. He was a culpable as Keane in the worst performance of a centre half partnership I’ve witnessed, baring in mind the opposite. It was like Laurel and Hardy at centre half.

He's 24 in a few months.
Mid twenties.
I dont think he can fall back on that one.
It's Holgate all over again - he was 24 and still referred to as a kid too. Evertonians infantalise our players. This was the season to kick on. It hasn't happened. Any mitigating factor (COVID) has been a self-inflicted wound. His decision making on that one seems to sum up his on-field decision making. That fourth goal yesterday was Keystone Cops from this fella. Transfer list, please.

He really wasnt that good. Or should i say not as good as people were making out. There were huge errors last season aswell but so many had bought into this ben godfrey over hype thing.
Id actualy take a risk and throw him into midfield. Because if he doesnt cut out the errors then having him as the last line of defence is suicide.
And like Holgate, this fella was put on a pedestal by a section of our fans for showing a bit of willing and bite. Evertonians don't allow players to develop: they anoint them. Holgate missed his boat last season, sinking without trace. This fella is going the same way. Given a huge factor in why we are so badly run is our inability to shift dead wood from the squad, we must not allow Godfrey to decompose. He needs to be moved on while he still has a transfer value. By the summer, we will know definitively if he is worth keeping or not.

Jesus lads, Ben Godfrey ain't the problem. Sure he has things to work on and improve, but he's a kid FFS - he's gonna make mistakes.

He's has covid, which he still don't look quite right from, and was doing fine for us under Ancelotti.

It's the crappy defensive partner he's with and the managers god-awful defensive system were deploying.

Fair dos tho, let's turn on him and hound him out the club,like we do with nearly every other decent young player we have had?!

Is sooner have a go at the three other senior pros in our back 4 and our manager yesterday, and the shocking performance they served up.

He's not a kid any more and he has significant flaws. At some point we need to decide if players are good enough to play at this level.

He was abysmal yesterday and the mistakes were a big concern. People need to be realistic and stop overhyping the lad. He needs time out of the team to go away and work on his weaknesses.

Not for me. Average footballer with a terrible, terrible attitude, which reduces him to a poor player.
His love and passion for Everton Football Club is undisputable imo

11104001.jpg

I would be happier playing Godfrey and him playing himself into form with Mina than playing Keane who in my opinion hasn’t got the mentality to cut it. At this level. Off topic a little i thought Davies was the one who’s legs had gone not Gordon. He looked so ragged the last 20 minutes. But the goals where a joke. I looked at our team just before there 1st goal and said to my mate we are tiny compared to them Which concerned me. I also think the manager has to take some responsibility for that mess yesterday but if it continue he won’t be afraid to ship some out of the club and bring fresh faces if things don’t improve.

You only have to watch a single set of Norwich highlights to understand that turning this lad into a proper centre back was going to be a project in itself. He has so many deficiencies in his game that are going to take time to iron out. Fortunately, he has every single physical quality you'd want a centre back to have but he just doesn't have the brain to match it yet.

As for his aerial ability, I don't think the problem is that he can't head the ball but rather that he's never stood in the right position to win it. It always looks like he's being out jumped on set pieces but he always seems to be scrambling to track the flight of the ball and just can't get there in time. Think he's very uncomfortable in the zonal system.

Just don't think his future lies at centrehalf. He must either try his luck in midfield or switch to fullback. Coleman was awful yesterday but Digne has been awful all season. I'd drop him for Godfrey at LB. Unlike Digne (this season), Godfrey has shown he can actually stop a pacey winger from getting around him

Status
Not open for further replies.