2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact you are probably right about Benitez nor wanting to play him at CB is more evidence Benitez is the wrong man for the job. Our CBs should be Mina and Godfrey. If Mina is unavailable bring Keane in if Godfrey is unavailable bring Holgate in. Any CB partnership needs time to get an understanding last season and this its been an ever revolving door.
We need to accept that the manager makes these judgements based on the whole of the player's performances in training. The CB situation will not change until Benitez goes into the transfer market. He wont be using Godfrey there.

In that case we have to speculate about exactly where Godfrey can be used. The manager sees a FB slot as a solution, I agree with that. I think we'll see more runs out for Godfrey there until Coleman gets back.

He played ok there yesterday, despite all the BS from the usual suspects.

@BlueToff Seen Van Tam was talking about vaccine uptake in PL footballers and said this:

"It should be pretty obvious that if you don’t get Covid, you can’t get long Covid. And you don’t want long Covid if you’re a top sportsman.”

Obviously dont know Godfreys situation or even if he had covid at the seasons start as it wasnt confirmed but hopefully he isn't suffering long term if he has had it and its hit him hard.

Last edited:
We need to accept that the manager makes these judgements based on the whole of the player's performances in training. The CB situation will not change until Benitez goes into the transfer market. He wont be using Godfrey there.

In that case we have to speculate about exactly where Godfrey can be used. The manager sees a FB slot as a solution, I agree with that. I think we'll see more runs out for Godfrey there until Coleman gets back.

I think he might try Kenny there even though everyone knows he's not good enough but neither are Godfrey or Holgate. It's a nightmare situation caused by not bringing someone in during the summer.

I think it will only be obvious where Benitez sees Godfrey playing once we have a fully fit defence. When Coleman is fit and Godfrey is match fit maybe then Benitez will be able to pick exactly who he wants where he wants.

@BlueToff Seen Van Tam was talking about vaccine uptake in PL footballers and said this:

"It should be pretty obvious that if you don’t get Covid, you can’t get long Covid. And you don’t want long Covid if you’re a top sportsman.”

Obviously dont know Godfreys situation or even if he had covid at the seasons start as it wasnt confirmed but hopefully that clown Delph isn't filling our players ears with rubbish.
aye we don't know

I had COVID after I'd had my first dose. And when I had my second jab a few weeks ago it knocked my fitness back again.

I don't think I've got long COVID really. I'm not knackered all the time, it's just hit my fitness when exercising. That could be the same with Godfrey and obviously at this level of elite sport you need every edge you can get. He still looks way off it but it'll only come back with training and playing.

aye we don't know

I had COVID after I'd had my first dose. And when I had my second jab a few weeks ago it knocked my fitness back again.

I don't think I've got long COVID really. I'm not knackered all the time, it's just hit my fitness when exercising. That could be the same with Godfrey and obviously at this level of elite sport you need every edge you can get. He still looks way off it but it'll only come back with training and playing.

Has the science proven yet that you actually can return to normal levels in terms of exercise or is it still all an unknown?

I think he might try Kenny there even though everyone knows he's not good enough but neither are Godfrey or Holgate. It's a nightmare situation caused by not bringing someone in during the summer.

I think it will only be obvious where Benitez sees Godfrey playing once we have a fully fit defence. When Coleman is fit and Godfrey is match fit maybe then Benitez will be able to pick exactly who he wants where he wants.
A fully fit defence means Godfrey on the bench.

Team played OK. DCL would have meant a point at least. And we have a shape. Benitez has made an immediate difference. Just need to get some more of his choices in and get rid of the injured and useless deadwood.
Godfrey will be a fine player.

you cannot have a RB with absolutely zero attacking output (Coleman notwithstanding). I can imagine the demographic of people claiming he is suited to full back look back on Hibbert’s tenure with great fondness! The game has changed

I agree the problem with both Holgate and Godfrey is neither of them is a very good crosser of the ball. He can do the defensive side mostly but it effectively means we lose an attacking out let.

aye we don't know

I`ve mentioned this before elsewhere, but I know lads who`d regularly knock out 50 mile trail races with no problem, their shorter off road runs, would be marathons.

After catching the virus, not one of them is back to where their fitness levels where pre virus and a couple of them are still only up to 10km slow runs.

I had it almost a year ago and I`m still not back to where I was fitness wise.

I`m quite surprised that Dave has turned Godfrey into his new whipping boy, as we all know from the Coronavirus thread ( before he was banned ) long covid was one of the things that he really got a massive hard on over.

Team played OK. DCL would have meant a point at least. And we have a shape. Benitez has made an immediate difference. Just need to get some more of his choices in and get rid of the injured and useless deadwood.
Godfrey will be a fine player.
It's not actually the bad players fault. I know they are bad, you know they are bad, they probably know they are bad and I presume the manager knows they arnt up to much. The question is, why do we have so many of these players. They should not be at the club. It is (unfortunately) going to take a number of years to put this right. We just have to get behind the team, have a moan, then get behind the team again

Status
Not open for further replies.