2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
....the slide tackle at the edge of the box in the 2nd half needs to be video clipped for posterity. No respect for them, just an aggressive blue flash, a blur and the ball is downfield.

I csnt remember Shaqiri looking for the ball after that. Thats what Godfrey brings, an aggression which then rubs off on others. What a tackle and he knew exactly what he was doing. They just didn't fancy it after that.

....exactly what I mean, that type of challenge has an impact. He’s a winner.

Yep, gave a great interview a couple of weeks back eggs about the impact a good tackle can do not only to the fans but to the players as well.

Hes superb eggs, everything you want to see in a defender. Keane, Mina, Holgate, Branthwaite will be tripping over themselves to be his long term defensive partner.

Speed of the lad.
As a centre back he still looks a little raw but with the experience he is getting this season playing across the back line he could and I reckon he will become a top defender be it RB,LB or CB. Well spotted Brands
Yeah, gets caught out positionally on crosses but that will come with experience.
Can give near anyone a yard and still get them, aggressive and seems to love a battle.
If only we could find a ball playing CH to sit along side him a bit like Rio with Vidic back in the day.

When people criticise Brands in the future, remember this signing is down to him.
That's not how it works with these people.

If he fails he remains a Brand's signing.
If he does well he becomes a Carlo signing.

Some shocking posts in the first 150/160 pages of this thread - absolutely writing him off. The same one's who will completely write off a player if they aren't the finished article at 21 years old.

....exactly what I mean, that type of challenge has an impact. He’s a winner.

That was his best game at CB today. While he wasn't flawless (allowing a couple of headers over him) he really imposed himself on opponents more, which he has the ability to do. Not many defenders have that ability but he does.

We seemed to go between a 3-4 today, and probably for the first time we actually looked quite comfortable we the personnel playing it.

But yes, Godfrey is a bit special. I actually think he has been one of the best left backs in the league this season, and was waiting for a stand out performance in the middle. That came. At just 23, having started playing the position quite late, that's very much a bar hes set for himself now.

Status
Not open for further replies.