2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know LB isn’t his favoured position, but we’ll be vulnerable on the left if Salah plays his usual role of cutting in onto his left foot. Mahrez had a field day out there tonight doing just that.

Really pleased overall with his performances but he has to stop showing these left footers the inside if he’s to make a real difference.

I know LB isn’t his favoured position, but we’ll be vulnerable on the left if Salah plays his usual role of cutting in onto his left foot. Mahrez had a field day out there tonight doing just that.

Really pleased overall with his performances but he has to stop showing these left footers the inside if he’s to make a real difference.
He did alright in those one-v-one situations for me. It was more Man City's movement and him and Digne not really knowing who was doing which job that caused problems.

He did alright in those one-v-one situations for me. It was more Man City's movement and him and Digne not really knowing who was doing which job that caused problems.
I don’t think he did tonight, Brownie. He’s pacey, undoubtedly, but his judgement was poor and to make it worse, he didn’t seem to learn from his mistakes. As I mentioned in the match thread, I would have thought that Sterling would have been the bigger threat from the right, but Mahrez surprised me.

Great player, Ben, but he can’t do this in the Derby or we’re going to make it difficult for ourselves.

I think mahrez is trickier than Salah,
Salah has more pace from the ball over the top and obviously scores more goals. But one on one I think Mahrez edges it. At least
It’s give him a test that will be similar

I actually think he handled City’s world class talent really well tonight.

They had much more joy cutting in from his side, but I don’t think it was his space to cover as our set up is mainly him covering the overlap.

I don’t think he did tonight, Brownie. He’s pacey, undoubtedly, but his judgement was poor and to make it worse, he didn’t seem to learn from his mistakes. As I mentioned in the match thread, I would have thought that Sterling would have been the bigger threat from the right, but Mahrez surprised me.

Great player, Ben, but he can’t do this in the Derby or we’re going to make it difficult for ourselves.
We'll have to disagree on that one then. I don't think he's brilliant in those positions by any means - he backs off a bit too much for me - but his footwork was good and he made sure he wasn't cleanly beaten on either side.

Let’s be honest that’s a really hard shift but Mahrez absolutely had him on toast there. The number of times he got the ball onto his left foot and put the ball in the box, was easily their most threatening player and area of the pitch. Godfrey just guilty of standing a yard too far away and giving him the space - guess he didn’t want to dive in or try to get too close but didn’t show him down the line enough and let him cut in too easily.

Undoubtedly a difficult task for BG, not only in dealing with R Mahrez, but all the movements and combinations that City had. When you get these situations around you all the time, it becomes incredibly tiring mentally.

Let’s be honest that’s a really hard shift but Mahrez absolutely had him on toast there. The number of times he got the ball onto his left foot and put the ball in the box, was easily their most threatening player and area of the pitch. Godfrey just guilty of standing a yard too far away and giving him the space - guess he didn’t want to dive in or try to get too close but didn’t show him down the line enough and let him cut in too easily.
Salah will do exactly the same on Saturday if we go the same set up.

I'd play Keane and Mina every game, with Godfrey full back, right if Digne is left, and left if Digne is out or playing left wing. Centre halves work in pairs, and Keane and Mina work well together.
See this is so obvious, based on what we have seen, fully expect that lineup at the weekend if Mina is fit.

Can't say I agree with your 'on toast' description. Mahrez saw a lot of the ball so naturally he was doing lots of good stuff, very much aided by the movement around him. Compare the number of times he received possession with the number of times we ever see our 'wingers' get a touch in the opposing half. But I can't recall him laying on many opportunities for others. Nor do I recall him skinning Godfrey. I agree that Godfrey did offer Mahrez the cut inside option too often but the only time he made a clear individual error was in the 3rd goal when he didn't follow Mahrez's movement inside in anticipation of him getting the ball laid into him to provide the scoring opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.