2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you name any player we've had that would beat him over 30 metres?

Drenthe maybe but other than that can't think of any. Absolutely lightning

None. He’s got that rare mix of instant acceleration but also a very fast top speed so he starts off quick and just gets quicker. Most players in the PL either have or or the other. Bilyaletdinov was our quickest player at one point but he just had no acceleration so looked so slow.

I will say it again, this lad will be Captain of England one day.
The pace of Des Walker,
winning mentality of Tony Adams,
and the tenacity of Stuart Pearce
Was literally just about to post this. There was a point last night in the second half when their winger knocked the ball past him and tried to get passed, and Godfrey just spun on a sixpence, and totally outpaced him to the ball. I actually thought to myself right then, how much he reminded me of a young Des Walker, and turned to my young lad and sang "You'll never beat Ben Godfrey" (who in turn looked at me very confused)

It would have been very interesting to see how he would have coped with Traore if he had played, would have been a superb battle down that flank.

So it'll be in posession
DCL
Digne, James, Richy
Doucoure, Allan
Godfrey, Keane, Mina, Holgate
this 11 makes perfect sense to get Digne in the side with Godfrey. Iwobi misses out.. Richy goes right side... looks very solid on paper, James central where I want him and has goals in it...

Can you name any player we've had that would beat him over 30 metres?

Drenthe maybe but other than that can't think of any. Absolutely lightning

Andy Johnson might have given him a good run but I think Godfrey would still beat him quite comfortably.

Chill out, guys.
He is fast as fcuk, lol.
But it takes more than that when you play centre back.
Just look at our twin tower right now.
He could be new Michael Keane and I hope Brainthwaite will be new Yerry Mina for the way he plays with the ball lol

Olsen
Coleman Mina Keane Godfrey
Allan Doucoure
Richarlison James Digne
DCL
I would have laughed off suggestions that this is our best team even last week! Richarlison and James changing positions, Digne stretching the play, can easily revert to 5 at the back to either a 5-4-1 or 5-3-2 with Richarlison up front.

Coleman over Holgate?

43484AE0-B5F3-4E79-84EF-72A960E0AADE.jpeg

Norwich fans told us he was class.

Some of you said he would be crap because Norwich were.

Funny that.
Last time I was here it was to say what a shame it was the Ken Loach drama-documentary on the Golden Vision wasn't available on DVD!

I have seen one or two comments (and not just here) on the oddity of Godfrey and also Aarons being so highly rated when we had a dreadful defence last season. To put it in context, the defence was Aarons (aged 20), Godfrey (21), Lewis (21) and AN Other.

With Godfrey learning the position, and for much of the season we only had one centre-back available (on one occasion none), so a defensive midfielder filled in. Which took a key element away from the screen in front of the back four.

That hit us, and after being in decent form before the halt was called (we had just beaten Leicester) we lost the first game back after the break and I think the lack of a crowd at home to gee the players up added to what became a goal-conceding death spiral.

Status
Not open for further replies.