Battle of the "Nearly men"

Status
Not open for further replies.
not saying that, just saying a full strength Chelsea against a depleted Everton is a very different game to a full strength Everton vs a depleted Chelsea, perhaps the outcome may have been different considering both their goals were scored by players they wouldn’t have available.
As well as Jagielka, Arteta and the Yak, we'd lost Anichebe, in the same game as Arteta.

As well as Jagielka, Arteta and the Yak, we'd lost Anichebe, in the same game as Arteta.

Exactly. Take out Chelsea’s three best players and their first option off the bench and play them against our full strength 11 with Saha and Anichebe on the bench.

People who use that game to criticise Moyes are ridiculous. We’d beaten a very good Liverpool team over 2 legs despite missing Arteta our best player for the Anfield tie. We’d then seen off the Aston Villa of Barry Petrov Young Milner Carew Downing etc with a team that had Cahill upfront, Anichebe and Gosling on the wings and Neville Rodwell Arteta in midfield. We came from behind against Stoke in the quarter finals, actually won a penalty shoot out against United, but because we ran into probably the best team in Europe at the time at full strength with nothing left to play for and we had half a team and still made a game of it until we succumbed to a Lampard worldie because Neville slipped, its apparently all Moyes fault.

We were never in that final from the 20th minute.

We had hard luck in terms of injuries to Jagielka and Arteta, but they're the breaks.
And Yakubu. Was difficult challenge against as a good side as it was, but we had the spine of our team missing which made it nigh on impossible.

And Yakubu. Was difficult challenge against as a good side as it was, but we had the spine of our team missing which made it nigh on impossible.

I did say we were missing players....just not more than 2 we couldn't do without.

I was a bit too young in the late 70's to appreciate Gordon's team what i do remember was how hostile a half empty Goodison Park was near the end of that era and how far them complimentary cushons could be launched by very angry men

Exactly. Take out Chelsea’s three best players and their first option off the bench and play them against our full strength 11 with Saha and Anichebe on the bench.

People who use that game to criticise Moyes are ridiculous. We’d beaten a very good Liverpool team over 2 legs despite missing Arteta our best player for the Anfield tie. We’d then seen off the Aston Villa of Barry Petrov Young Milner Carew Downing etc with a team that had Cahill upfront, Anichebe and Gosling on the wings and Neville Rodwell Arteta in midfield. We came from behind against Stoke in the quarter finals, actually won a penalty shoot out against United, but because we ran into probably the best team in Europe at the time at full strength with nothing left to play for and we had half a team and still made a game of it until we succumbed to a Lampard worldie because Neville slipped, its apparently all Moyes fault.

I'd add a couple of things. Firstly us losing 3 was much worse than them losing 3, as they had a much better squad. We had nobody at the level of Arteta or Yakubu at that point. It would have been like losing them 6 or 7.

The 2nd point is, that that Chelsea team were fantastic, one of the best in Europe and experts in finals. There was no shame in losing to them. 2012 and 2013 were the real bottle jobs, but 2009 shouldn't be lumped in with that.

lol lol lol

An early goal up in a cup final we went onto be outclassed in.

This.

We were never close to winning a trophy under Moyes as he quite simply does not have it in him to win one.

He was sound at being alright in the league.

Both Gordon Lee and David Moyes went agonisingly close to winning trophies with Everton, but neither quite managed to pick up silverware. How would their teams have fared against each other?

I've picked a "best of Lee" side V a "best of Moyes" XI. The only stipulation is that any player chosen must have played a minimum of 20 games for Everton under the named manager.

Gordon Lee:

George Wood; John Gidman, Colin Todd, Ken McNaught Mike Pejic; Bryan Hamilton, Martin Dobson, Andy King; Dave Thomas, Bob Latchford, Duncan McKenzie

David Moyes:

Nigel Martyn; Seamus Coleman, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott Leighton Baines; Mikael Arteta, Tim Cahill, Steven Pienaar; Wayne Rooney; Andy Johnson, Duncan Ferguson.

Who would you fancy?
Moyes just shades it, the 18year old 'no fear - I'll just do it' Rooney tips the balance

Both Gordon Lee and David Moyes went agonisingly close to winning trophies with Everton, but neither quite managed to pick up silverware. How would their teams have fared against each other?

I've picked a "best of Lee" side V a "best of Moyes" XI. The only stipulation is that any player chosen must have played a minimum of 20 games for Everton under the named manager.

Gordon Lee:

George Wood; John Gidman, Colin Todd, Ken McNaught Mike Pejic; Bryan Hamilton, Martin Dobson, Andy King; Dave Thomas, Bob Latchford, Duncan McKenzie

David Moyes:

Nigel Martyn; Seamus Coleman, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott Leighton Baines; Mikael Arteta, Tim Cahill, Steven Pienaar; Wayne Rooney; Andy Johnson, Duncan Ferguson.

Who would you fancy?
Who doesn't fancy Duncan McKenzie?
In regards to which of those teams were most unlucky , I'd say the former . Colin Todd was awesome on his day and we all know about Latchford .

Status
Not open for further replies.