Barnsley v Everton - A Tactical Deconstruction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the first time that Mirallas, Duelofeu and Lennon have all been on the ground at the same time?

Couple of coaching questions please!

1. How much reaction time is wasted making sure players put their hands behind their backs in the penalty area? Is it really worth it to avoid the odd penalty compared to failing to make a critical challenge?

2. Why don't players face their own goal more often when defending a dangerous free kick (goal scoring opportunity)? Is it not more important to be able to defend the goal quicker? Similarly when (say) Mirallas takes a free kick towards the keeper's right (the first goal), why aren't the strikers encouraged to follow up in that direction as opposed to setting up in a random formation on, or near, the defensive wall?

Thanks for the comments, two good questions!

1. This is a particular annoyance of mine. Personally, I think it alters your body shape and prevents you from doing your number one duty as a defender i.e. get to the ball quickly. I NEVER coach players to put their arms behind their back when the close down the ball. The coaching points are: 1) get there quickly whilst showing him the way you want to show him 2) put the brakes on (so not to 'dive in' or commit) 3) get an arm's length away 4) body position: side on, knees bent

2. This is a good question. However, the two most basic rules of defending are: can I see the ball AND can I see the man. If you're facing your own goal, you won't be able to see the ball and it might get 'moved' (passed, shifted or even dribbled after the pass).
As for the strikers following in, they will be given different instructions. Some will be told to rush in, others will be told to disrupt the wall, others to look for the cross. If all strikers rushed the keeper, the defence would know that a shot is coming; they cannot commit ALL of their men to defending a shot if you have a few players waiting around the back post, as the taker might chip one in there for them.

Thanks for the comments, two good questions!

1. This is a particular annoyance of mine. Personally, I think it alters your body shape and prevents you from doing your number one duty as a defender i.e. get to the ball quickly. I NEVER coach players to put their arms behind their back when the close down the ball. The coaching points are: 1) get there quickly whilst showing him the way you want to show him 2) put the brakes on (so not to 'dive in' or commit) 3) get an arm's length away 4) body position: side on, knees bent

2. This is a good question. However, the two most basic rules of defending are: can I see the ball AND can I see the man. If you're facing your own goal, you won't be able to see the ball and it might get 'moved' (passed, shifted or even dribbled after the pass).
As for the strikers following in, they will be given different instructions. Some will be told to rush in, others will be told to disrupt the wall, others to look for the cross. If all strikers rushed the keeper, the defence would know that a shot is coming; they cannot commit ALL of their men to defending a shot if you have a few players waiting around the back post, as the taker might chip one in there for them.

Why don't players look at the actual ball? Are defenders coached to turn their backs on it or are they just being stupid?

Do they get lambasted when the player they were trying to wrestle scores anyway because he knew the ball was coming and the defender didn't?

Why don't players look at the actual ball? Are defenders coached to turn their backs on it or are they just being stupid?

Do they get lambasted when the player they were trying to wrestle scores anyway because he knew the ball was coming and the defender didn't?

They will be lambasted for turning their back on the ball. As mentioned, they shouldn't be committing to the tackle unless they are 100% certain of winning it. Otherwise, they need to stand up, delay the player and force an error.

Your second question; see above! There are ways of looking at the ball and knowing where your man is from a set piece: keeping your hand on the opponent whilst looking at the ball, then if he moves away from your hand, take a quick look to find him again and put your hand on him again quickly before looking back at the ball.

2. The two most basic rules of defending are: can I see the ball AND can I see the man.

Thanks, what I should have said is "one or two of the 4/5/6 men in the wall, as opposed to every one of them.."

As far as the other bit was concerned I just remember being particularly annoyed with Martinez after a free kick at Swansea (0-0 draw I think). The keeper parried it and Lukaku followed in from the wrong side of the goal and what would have been an easy tap in became a half-chance that was spurned. So easy if coached correctly to have a player either side of the wall to follow up - if the ball breaks free then that gives an alert striker an easy chance.

@the coach

Excellent read, I hope you will continue this into the season?

Koeman appears to be concentrating on keeping the positives from the Martinez years (confidence in passing and retaining the ball) but without the lack of pragmatism to go direct and create chances in the air, down the flank and through the long (aswell as the short) ball. A breath of fresh air!

Status
Not open for further replies.