Baines at midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

toffeestillidie

Player Valuation: £35m
This was sparked by the discussion on joey or leighton, should we give baines a try somewhere in midfield

he looked good defensively, but i thought baines really shined whenever he would push forward. as i recall, i think we tried baines at a more advanced role when he first arrived and it didn't work out so well, but maybe now that he's had time to settle in, its worth it to give him another shot.

i honestly don't know where he'd fit in best at midfield, maybe we could put him on the left wing, pienaar on the right, and push osman central with arteta:
Howard
hibbert jags yobo lescott
neville
baines osman arteta pienaar
cahill

is this feasible? i really don't want to drop baines based on form, but i'd hate for yobo to lose his spot based on injury alone, he's much too important to the long term goals of this team.

Would definitely say it is feasible.

We couldnt put Yobo straight in against Liverpool though, he would be lacking fitness. After Liverpool Fellaini comes back, so the above system would be leaving out Fellaini?

Would definitely say it is feasible.

We couldnt put Yobo straight in against Liverpool though, he would be lacking fitness. After Liverpool Fellaini comes back, so the above system would be leaving out Fellaini?

right completely forgot. its a shame but drop hibbert and put neville at right back i guess

He's played there against both Spurs (last season) and this season (Blackburn) and struggled. He just doesn't suit the position, it's completely different to what he's used to.

He's isn't someone who's going to beat fullback's one on one, his game's about linking up with his winger and then looking to get in behind. Pass and move to to speak.

Keep him at left back, I think people are just trying to find a way to fit our third centre back into the team. It isn't needed. Certainly not at the moment, the balance is fine.

Baines isn't really suited for left wing he plays best linking with Pienaar and overlapping him. As much as I like Yobo I think its only fair Baines keeps his place as hes starting to get his form after having a run of games.

He's played there against both Spurs (last season) and this season (Blackburn) and struggled. He just doesn't suit the position, it's completely different to what he's used to.

He's isn't someone who's going to beat fullback's one on one, his game's about linking up with his winger and then looking to get in behind. Pass and move to to speak.

Keep him at left back, I think people are just trying to find a way to fit our third centre back into the team. It isn't needed. Certainly not at the moment, the balance is fine.

this about sums it up for me , he is much better at linking up with the winger rather than 1 on 1 with a full back, we need the players to know where thay are playing week in and week out to keep the balance how it is at the momment with the size of squad we have at this present time;)

you okay with dropping yobo then? i definitely would rather not if its avoidable

you okay with dropping yobo then? i definitely would rather not if its avoidable

Yobo hasnt been dropped, he got injured and now he must wait for his chance, just like Baines had to. Theres not a great deal of difference in any of our defenders, as ive already said many times, they all play well within the unit and bring different things.

We have three very capable centre backs, they all do good jobs and they've all proven that. Lescott and Jagielka at the moment look very strong and are developing a good understanding.

Baines is in the team on merit, he's performing well both defensively and attacking wise. Until he goes through a bad patch or one of the centre backs do it shouldn't be changed.

Competition is key, at the moment we are getting that.

As Tb was saying for me, hes all about pass and move, and gettinginto space hes more effective at FB, additionaly he and Pienaar compliment each othe well.

I think Baines could play as a winger. He's got good pace, good crossing ability and will get at full backs, plus him being a wing back himself, would be great cover for when Lescott get's forward.

The next 3 games are too important to be messing around with a settled back 4. Joey will just have to wait for someone to have a drop in form, having him warm the bench for a few games will do him no harm. Baines at left back and leftback only imo, or left back in the changing rooms as the old joke goes.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.