Match Thread Aston Villa v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eerily reminiscent of the early season 'win this go clear at the top' game against the same opposition two seasons back. Which we then duly bottled as was par for the course.

With Sigurdson gone out of the team and four new signings across the middle having been added since, bottle no longer seems lacking. Sticks neck out and goes for a 3-2 away win. At least one for Richy also.
I do wonder now are we better with out the frozen food store in midfield, was he slowing us down? Its possible his lose might benefit us

We've been better away from home this season than at Goodison. Think we are set up for a counter attacking style. Villa have a decent side. But I'd be quietly confident going into this one...

*Cue humiliating defeat...

Anyone know if Martinez & Buendia are available? As according to Twitter the Spurs players form Argentina, aren’t back in this country till Saturday

It's a grand old team to play for .. Saturday can't come soon enough after last night . Goodison was electric. I was never as excited for 379 seconds in my life before as my ex wife can testify to . So it's on to villa Park as we sit in joint first position(or 4th for the pessimists)
Burnley was a strange game. A poor opening half . A goal behind and then 3 in 6 minutes including an absolute worldy from Andros and another from the bargain buy of the the summer in Demari Gray.
Villa will be tough . They played well against Chelsea but poor finishing and terrible defending cost them. They sold their crown jewel but have players like ings, Watkins and Bailey who can hurt us.
Our line up won't change much but hopefully we won't see a back 5. Dcl misses out and will be missed . Richy isn't as effective as a 9 in this set up even if he was kicked everywhere.
We go here high on confidence and will be hard to beat . A point would not be a disaster though.
So come you blue boys . Let's stay in the mix.
Utft
They're beatable if the right Everton turns up...which isn't the 1st half, 3 at the back, Everton, that leaves Richarlson isolated.
We'll have to wait and see.

Anyone know if Martinez & Buendia are available? As according to Twitter the Spurs players form Argentina, aren’t back in this country till Saturday
Villa fans seem confident that they’re back? I also thought Saturday as being the end of this South American international fiasco but we’ll find out on Saturday I guess

Probably but it would be ideal game for him to be reintroduced. Likely to be tight so bring him on with 20 to go and he might be the difference. I also think he brings the best out of Richarlison. The other plus is Villa aren't cloggers so he won't get kicked to pieces.
Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you, just talking about the unlikely prospect of James even getting onto the bench.

I'll tell you what though, I bet he starts against QPR next week.

Same starting 11, in fact the 5 at the back away at Villa might be better, same 11 then blast them in the second half.

A nice win followed by a fun Sunday laughing at people trying to find stuff to moan about
Agreed. Sunday will be full of:

"Benitez once said red"
"Benitez once looked bemused at being given a blue pair of jeans"
"We only scored 4 goals, a proper manager would've got 5"

No pleasing some.

With DCL injured we need to focus on the league.

We cant keep going around in circles chasing our tail we need to get back into europe which means going full throttle for the European spots.

For QPR I would go something like:

Begovic
Kenny Keane Holgate Godfrey
Gbamin Gomes Davies
Iwobi James Gordon

Good enough to beat QPR's 2nd string side.
That'll please James no end. He'll get kicked off the park. If you want him through the middle, he'll actually have to run.

James be like:

giphy.gif

Same starting 11, in fact the 5 at the back away at Villa might be better, same 11 then blast them in the second half.

A nice win followed by a fun Sunday laughing at people trying to find stuff to moan about
We don’t have the wing backs to suit the system. Coleman hasn’t the legs or class and Digne lacks dynamism, he also seems to be on auto pilot and drops off like he’s in a 4.

I’d rather play an extra body in midfield

We don’t have the wing backs to suit the system. Coleman hasn’t the legs or class and Digne lacks dynamism, he also seems to be on auto pilot and drops off like he’s in a 4.

I’d rather play an extra body in midfield

I agree until we get a dynamic RWB and left footed CB it won't work. I think Digne can play it just it becomes so condensed down his side due to the right side being so weak. Either give Rondon a start and go 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 and bring Gomes in.

Villa actually looked really dangerous from corners at the weekend.
Good delivery and their centre halves winning the headers.
That is a real concern for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.